Subjects- 'What not to pick...' (1 Viewer)

jackkelly

HSC
yum!!! ancient history

Libbster said:
DO NOT PICK ANCIENT HISTORY!!! :chainsaw: It is too much work!!!

If you enjoy science and maths pick chem, physics and ext maths. I think they are the best subjects because you are either right or wrong, it's not subjective like english
lol i picked ancient history and i love it (not literally because thats just ewwish!)..
it is true thee is alot of work, but... it is interesting and you can realy get stuck into it!

maths on the other hand.. who need to find the equation of a friggen squiggly line? oh yeah i need that in the furture! dont you?

on the other hand, i cant complain i love all my subjects...
2U RELIGION
2U ADV. ENGLISH
2U ADV. MATHS
2U BUSINESS STUDIES
2U LEGAL STUDIES
2U ECONOMICS
2U ANCIENT HSITORY
(and gunna do ext. history next year)

actually, after typing all that.. i hate economics... im gunna drop it =)

ishq

brown?
HSC
If you pick English Extension II, don't chicken out in Term 2.
You'll regret it.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
society and culture - relatively easy subject, easy 2 get high marks
english (gotta do it) advanced will enable u 2 get a possible band 6 (u cant get band 6 in standard)
history - stik mainly to modern as ancient can be quite difficult
bio = big no no if ur not good at science, it can be very confusing and hard
maths = meh, if ur alrite at it, go for standard (not 2 difficult)
legal studies - it helps if ur interested in it, u really just have 2 remeber a bunch of acts and cases. It can be a bit hard if you dont grapple the subject rite away tho

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
miss_gtr said:
should pick......ANCIENT HISTORY, IPT, PDHPE!

dont pick........LEGAL STUDIES, SOR2

NO CHOICE: english, do ADVANCED,........lol i swear by it we do less work than standard.

woulda loved to do: ancient, ipt, sdd, sor2, english adv
Advanced-Less work then standard?, i dont believe it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldn't listen to wat anyone else says, they all have their own opinions what they may hate you may LOVE, what they LOVE you may HATE...choose ur subjects on the basis of interest, talent and what you will enjoy. Any combination of subjects can achieve any uai its how well YOU do and you wont do well if you HATE the subject or pick something out of ur depth.

I disagree that YOU shouldn't pick subjects like Legal Studies and IPT, I do these subjects and yes, they are work and some people hate them, but its not the subjects fault YOU need to do a lil investigation. Find out what these subjects consist of by asking the teachers who teach it, ask to take a look at a textbook and see what the workload and content is. Make an informed choice and listen to your teachers and people who know you and ur interests. I have seen too many ppl in my year ignore the teachers advice (as to the capability to handle the subject).

That's not to say you should do IPT, but if you have an interest in computers etc, find out what its about and see if it suits you.

I can tell you that Year 11 Legal Studies is mostly history of the law, and you will look at two disadvantaged groups, in year 12 you study crime, human rights, law and society and two areas of lae *I am doing family law and global environmental law*

IPT involves both theory and practical, you look at many aspects of IT and information processes, in year 12 you will do a major project *most do it for multimedia*

A good way to check out if u'll like a subject is to go into the HSC forums and check them out, people will have posted their assignments etc and you can have a look.

Last of all good luck with ur subject selection and DO WHAT YOU ARE GOOD AT, ENJOY and ARE INTERESTED IN thats the best formula fr a good UAI and dont pick subjects on the basis of scalling :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
That's why I started this thread- to see other people's opinions, regrets and thoughts such as 'thank god i chose this subject' and 'why did i choose this subject' or ' i hate this, i'm gonna drop it'.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
No-one should take anyones opinions as advice because year 12-ers are in the worst position to judge the merit of a subject. For good advice talk to teachers and browse the syllabuses.

HSC
3U maths definitely should be chosen. its gives a challenge (but isnt as crazy as 4U i think) and helps your 2U maths because it does topics that you will do later in 2U

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
There's no subject I wouldn't recommend. I agree that you only do one major work in yr 12 or else you'll go mad like my friend.

Also don't pick the hardest subjects, mix the hardsubjects with subjects that have near 0 scaling but are easy to get close to 100.
Business
Legal
Geo
those type of subjects which would contribute a lot more to your UAI then say
4U maths,
Ext I English,
Ext History.
When comparing the work done needed to get good marks.

Thats a mistake I sort of made doing
3U Englihs
3U Maths
Chem
Phys
Geo

in yr11, there wasn't enough mix of easy and hard subjects.

HSC
if you are stupid like me and chose general maths, prepare to get at least 85% and you're fine

but DONT DO standard english, impossible to get band 6, very very very hard to get band 5 (600 people in the state got this)

and unless you love a yellow-pages thick book of notes, dont touch business studies

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Major works can be a stress, but if you feel that you're not very good at exams, then doing 3 or 4 might be perfect for you.

P

pLuvia

Casmira said:
if you are stupid like me and chose general maths, prepare to get at least 85% and you're fine

but DONT DO standard english, impossible to get band 6, very very very hard to get band 5 (600 people in the state got this)

and unless you love a yellow-pages thick book of notes, dont touch business studies
if ur thinking of doin general maths.. DONT DO IT.. its a waste of time and it scales u down heaps.. i rather not do maths than do that.. btw i do ext 1 maths.. :)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I heard that geneneral maths is just like years 7-10 maths but 2u maths is much different.

HSC
dont do any subject unless ur interested in it... if u choose a subject bcoz u need it for uni, but u dont actually want to do it, then u obviously wont want to be doing it for the rest of ur life, which im thinking will happen if its a prerequisite for uni!:D just a thought!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Don't Pick:

- Chemistry... (Dumbed down syllabus, regurgitating information, overly reflective on society.... gah)

Do Pick:

- Ext. 2 Math (It has a big hype but it's quite enjoyable. It's good to have a challenge)
- Music (Music is good fun, watch out for the modernist stuff in year 12 for music 2 though)
- Ext. 2 English (it's fun to be creative)

richz

KFunk said:
Don't Pick:

- Chemistry... (Dumbed down syllabus, regurgitating information, overly reflective on society.... gah)
lol must agree :), just regurgitating what is in the text book. Also society influences, its stupid, eg in CMM the scientists, its like wtf, hu cares about Berhan or wat eva his name is :p

Last edited by a moderator:

richz

fakingtheday said:
Do engineering. Best subject and easy.
not really easy, it involves alot of study, and shit scaling.... The dot pts are very vague and the involves lots of history

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)