Subjects- 'What not to pick...' (1 Viewer)

yeahwateva

HSC
B Who U Wanna B, Do Wat U Wanna Do!!!!

i hated ancient History but i got a good mark for a months crash course 83!!!
Loved biology!! you can go so good in it if ya got a good memory
Chem's fun once you get past yr 11 which SUX :(
I can't beleive the ppl who do ext after ext #
DO U HAVE A LIFE???? :p

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I almost have less course content to study for ext. 2 maths than 2 Unit students.

richz

fakingtheday said:
I actuallly scales well, i think maybe you're studying a bit too hard?
im performing well in engineering and satisfied at my rank atm.... are u sure it scales well, compared to chemistry and physics, it scales like 25/50 and chem and phys like 32/50 i do a lot more study for engineering and i dont get as good marks. Have u seen question 11 yet?? How can u study for that its like 10 or 15 marks.... It is really a load of bs

fakingtheday

HSC
xrtzx said:
im performing well in engineering and satisfied at my rank atm.... are u sure it scales well, compared to chemistry and physics, it scales like 25/50 and chem and phys like 32/50 i do a lot more study for engineering and i dont get as good marks. Have u seen question 11 yet?? How can u study for that its like 10 or 15 marks.... It is really a load of bs
Question 11? that's the easiest, it's hard to be wrong. You've just got to get certain conecpts in your head.

For instance: Structural Development over time, material advances over time - that's your history
Effects on society and the environment - LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS, and things such as payloads, increased time efficiency.
Scope is just career options and such.

Overall it's the english section of the paper. You should know some basic generic rolls of engineers (maintinence, design and development, supervision and of course collaboration) and you will be fine.

My school had two students in the top 10 last year. 3rd and 8th.

N

noodlecup

Don't pick the subjects you hate, find boring, bludge around in, etc. On the topic, probably don't pick subjects just because they have a high scaling factor...but it helps if the subject scales highly and you enjoy it as well =]. Actually I'd say it's quite dependant on whether you're a Maths/Science student, Humanities student, or if you're a mixture of the two.

tigergal

Wests Tigers Supporter
HSC
I agree with others in saying STAY AWAY FROM IPT!
I did it accelerated and have hsc trial week 2 next term, we are so far behind. I'm going rather well in the subject but still.. aargh.. it is boring, hard, scaled woefully..but i suppose if you have a strong interest in computers go ahead.

I love extension english and english advanced-any subject where i can study the Simpsons and ten things i hate about you gets my vote!.

Legal is pretty good too, although I don't really like our media evaluation assignment. Maths i suck at but its been great this year because we are a small 2 unit class because the majority of my grade does 3 unit (selective school..).

Modern History I find interesting.. im still undecided as to whether to take ext history but I think I will since I am a self confessed history nerd really.

The best subject of all is PD.. sooo damn good. It is not a bludge like many assume, there is alot of work but it is an awesome fun subject.

davo522

HSC
Im doing for Yr 11:

Eng Advanced
Geography
Economics
Business studies
Mod History
Maths 2U and ext 1

For yr 12 should i:

Drop ext 1 and do 12 units?

or

Drop either geo or mod hist and do 11 units?

or

Drop ext 1 maths and geo or mod hist and do 10 units?

or

Drop ext 1 maths and geo and do ext history?

v sia

HSC
From my school's perspective , do NOT pick SDD or hospitality . Reaons :

Hospitality
- Sure you do 1 prac a week but the theory is very very boring , most of it repeats its self . Sure your asking " Wouldnt the HSC for hospitality be easy then " well no because there is sooo much work !!!! and its all crammed up in 1 unit slots a week because of the other 1 unit cooking prac .

- Also its mainly booklets tons and tons of them

SDD
- For a teacher to be qualified enough to properly teach this , they could be earning 100 K some where else .

In all honesty , the theory is quite boring and to do well you MUST be really interested in Algorithms ( pseudocode ) and programming !!! ..... i cant stress that enough

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Economics was a mistake for me and biology can be incredibly boring at times.

The people who have said that if you love math do chemistry...well thats silly as there is not a great deal of mathematics in chemistry...its all quite basic, unless it gets much harder in year 12. My teacher said it doesnt. You just have to apply some formulas and get past the moles.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC

Eng Advanced
Geography
Economics
Business studies
Mod History
Maths 2U and ext 1

For yr 12 should i:

Drop ext 1 and do 12 units?

or

Drop either geo or mod hist and do 11 units?

or

Drop ext 1 maths and geo or mod hist and do 10 units?

or

Drop ext 1 maths and geo and do ext history?

Do whatever combination you feel you'll enjoy the most. That is the combination that you'll do best at and thus get the best result from.

I_F

thewhitecomet

HSC
simple. don't do stuff you hate, as Obi-Wan once said "you must do what you feel is right of course."

As for me, i'm dropping Ext Eng, picking up another unit of maths bringing it up to a round 4 U. dropping biology and keeping the others. No more triple sciences! woot!

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
English - great not that you have a choice
Extension English - romance as a concept isnt fantastic but its still engaging
Maths - most people will pick it regardless
Biology - a good, easy science
Economics - excellent course
IPT - gets very uninteresting
Physics - is getting dropped because of the SHEER HATRED I have for it. God physics is awful

xxxx8888

HSC
should choose:
- ANCIENT HISTORY!!! so enjoyable. and all you have to do is revise weekly not to fall behind.
- 3U Maths
- 3U or Advanced english (not standard)

should not choose:
- biology ... my worst mistake
- visual arts (though it's a good subject to have at the start of year 11 to DROP once year 12 starts if you just need another subject to have atleast 12units... it's a bludgy subject)

heidi_kak

HSC
a good idea is to go onto the board of studies website (i.e. the official one) and look at past hsc papers for the subjects you're interested in. that way you can get a bit of an idea of the sort of stuff you will have to do in the hsc exam, which is all that really counts in the end.

speed2

HSC
i know its probably been said before but DO NOT PICK IPT it is the most boring course ever!!! at first it seems alright when ur doin projects and all but when u have to study for the tests it is SOOOOO damn boring!!!

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Well I think it really depends on the person but for me:::
Do not pick:
Ancient history, IPT, CAFS, general maths, standard english

P

pLuvia

1/5kiwifruit said:
Well I think it really depends on the person but for me:::
Do not pick:
Ancient history, IPT, CAFS, general maths, standard english
do not pick GENERAL maths, if your doing a language try to do the extension if not dont bother

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)