• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

subprime mortgage crisis/global credit crunch (1 Viewer)

magik22

HSC
I'm just curious about the subprime mortgage crisis.

Can someone explain to me in simple language but in depth about the cause of the subprime mortgage crisis in the US? How is it globally affecting the countries around the world and why are all the other countries exchange rates plumpeting as a result of this?

I briefly understand why this happening but I wish for a more thorough understanding. I've researched about it but news articles with all their jargon make it rather difficult to understand.

Thx everyone I appreciate your time.

donetha

HSC
Simplified version of what happened

1. Capital Gains Tax cuts under Clinton administration
2. Expansive Monetary Policy under Greenspan....interest rates dropping to as low as 1%
3. Housing market begins to boom
4. Every day Americans making loads of money in the booming property market
5. Due to the consistent recent growth in the property market, banks and lenders SIGNIFICANTLY relax their lending criteria.
6. All of a sudden it becomes possible for people who otherwise never could get a mortgage to now do so. Banks and lenders offer mortgages to those that barely had to even prove their income. These risky loans, also known as "subprime mortgages" were offered with low rates of interest for the first 2-5 yrs with the interest rate then increasing substantially after this period. The borrowers didn't care about the interest rate hike though since they didn't believe they would even have the property then since the idea was to buy the property and then sell it for a profit in a few yrs time, before the rate hike.
7. People continued to make money on the property market by using margin. ie barely having to put down any deposit and borrowing a large % of the investment.
8. Banks and lenders decided to package these mortgages they had and sell them as assets. Institutions bought these "assets" believing that even if the borrowers couldn't pay back their mortgage then the house which they would seize would be worth more than the mortage anyway.
9. Trading of these "assets" began. On a huge scale.
10. Housing prices start to slow down
11. Housing prices stagnate
12. People are not so keen on buying houses anymore
13. People start to sell their investment houses in order to get ahead whilst they can
14. Point is reached where millions of subprime mortgages tip over into the rate hike
15. Borrowers of these subprime mortgages can't afford to hold onto their homes anymore due to the rate hike
16. More people begin to sell their homes
17. Over supply of houses on the market
18. Lack of demand in buying houses
19. Housing prices begin to fall.....dramatically
20. People no longer able to sell their homes, can't afford to pay their mortgages. Homes get seized.
21. More homes on market, noone wants to buy them.....housing prices fall further.
22. All of a sudden, these subprime mortgages that institutions bought as "assets" become worthless since noone can pay them and the homes are now worth much less than the actual mortgages themselves.
23. Banks and Lenders go bankrupt
24. Credit crunch----->cost of borrowing goes up for banks which is then passed on to consumers
25. decreased demand in economy----> ?recession

joker252

I feel the knife going in
If I don't recover, Sell this house and find some
HSC
donetha said:
Simplified version of what happened

1. Capital Gains Tax cuts under Clinton administration
2. Expansive Monetary Policy under Greenspan....interest rates dropping to as low as 1%
3. Housing market begins to boom
4. Every day Americans making loads of money in the booming property market
5. Due to the consistent recent growth in the property market, banks and lenders SIGNIFICANTLY relax their lending criteria.
6. All of a sudden it becomes possible for people who otherwise never could get a mortgage to now do so. Banks and lenders offer mortgages to those that barely had to even prove their income. These risky loans, also known as "subprime mortgages" were offered with low rates of interest for the first 2-5 yrs with the interest rate then increasing substantially after this period. The borrowers didn't care about the interest rate hike though since they didn't believe they would even have the property then since the idea was to buy the property and then sell it for a profit in a few yrs time, before the rate hike.
7. People continued to make money on the property market by using margin. ie barely having to put down any deposit and borrowing a large % of the investment.
8. Banks and lenders decided to package these mortgages they had and sell them as assets. Institutions bought these "assets" believing that even if the borrowers couldn't pay back their mortgage then the house which they would seize would be worth more than the mortage anyway.
9. Trading of these "assets" began. On a huge scale.
10. Housing prices start to slow down
11. Housing prices stagnate
12. People are not so keen on buying houses anymore
13. People start to sell their investment houses in order to get ahead whilst they can
14. Point is reached where millions of subprime mortgages tip over into the rate hike
15. Borrowers of these subprime mortgages can't afford to hold onto their homes anymore due to the rate hike
16. More people begin to sell their homes
17. Over supply of houses on the market
18. Lack of demand in buying houses
19. Housing prices begin to fall.....dramatically
20. People no longer able to sell their homes, can't afford to pay their mortgages. Homes get seized.
21. More homes on market, noone wants to buy them.....housing prices fall further.
22. All of a sudden, these subprime mortgages that institutions bought as "assets" become worthless since noone can pay them and the homes are now worth much less than the actual mortgages themselves.
23. Banks and Lenders go bankrupt
24. Credit crunch----->cost of borrowing goes up for banks which is then passed on to consumers
25. decreased demand in economy----> ?recession
what he said.

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
even simpler... u can make it twofold:
  • banks lending to average joes, with poor skills and lack of gurantee during periods of growth
  • a lack of regulation in many facets of the economy...e.g (foreclosure on an individual level and short selling on a bankish level)

gnrlies

HSC
Q2C-ME said:
even simpler... u can make it twofold:
  • banks lending to average joes, with poor skills and lack of gurantee during periods of growth
  • a lack of regulation in many facets of the economy...e.g (foreclosure on an individual level and short selling on a bankish level)
Id like to say something about regulation. This crisis was not caused by a lack of regulation; but rather poorly defined property rights; and in particular the ownership of risk.

Many commentators have taken the opportunity to say this is a case of market failure that needs some kind of government intervention or regulatory response, but I believe this to be false. At this early stage a complete diagnosis is forthcoming, but one of two things has happened. Either those investing in securitized mortgages have not appropriately assessed the risks of their investments, or they had the appetite for high risk / high return investments. In reality it is likely a combination of the two consolidated by the sustained availability of cheap credit which created a housing bubble in the US.

If they did not assess the risks appropriately; then this will be a lesson learned. It is in the own interests of investment institutions to apply a greater degree of risk assessment and and any regulation applied by governments is unlikely to be an improvement on this. For example when it was diagnosed the collapse of Enron was caused by a lack of process risk assessment, US legislators came up with the obtrusive Sarbanes Oxley act. The act merely formalises and complicates a business proceedure that would continue exist without such regulation.

If investment banks had an appetite for these securities, then they must 'face the music'. Risk and return are two positively correlated variables which must be obeyed. To do otherwise is to send the wrong signals to markets; and to provide an open incentive to invest in risky assets at the mercy of a government bailout if all things go wrong. The bailout package proposed will hopefully achieve its short term goals of increased liquidity and market stabilisation, but there are always long ter, ramification for these issues. The bailout is effective insofar as it restores confidence. Given the political instability in the US, its effect is already dampened from the resulting uncertainty. Aside from this, the bailout reflects a cost of approximately $2500 for every American for a crisis for which they had no control over. Whilst Australians will rightly welcome the bailout, Americans are right to be sceptical.

The bailout brings us full circle. If the government is going to put its hand up and save the day; the government is right to have some say in how the market operates. In this case some regulation would be optimal to prevent the perils of moral hazard and cowboy investments. But moral to the story isn't increased regulation, but rather increased accountability.

Last edited:

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
ur well and right....and that is indeed the morale...i was simply referring to the catalyst in broad terms

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)