Subwoofer Air Vent (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering... what is the air which is coming out of them? Both of my logitech subwoofers have a lot of air coming out of the hole on the top or the front, and I was wondering if anyone could explain (in simple terms) where the air is from, or if I'm touching "sound waves"?? *is confused* My Altec subwoofer doesn't have the huge amount of air coming out, and the bass isn't so "punchy", but it can shake my house considerably more than the Logitech one does.

Btw the logitech speakers which i'm using right now on my mum's pc are the x530s.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Speakers themselves normally can't produce the low frequencies you hear with subwoofers. So, what they use is air instead - by forcing air out of a small hole (compare the size of the hole with the size of the subwoofer) you can produce that sort of low frequency. The human ear isn't good at low frequencies, so even when you only have one subwoofer you ear can't tell where exactly it is coming from.

If you turn the bass down when you listen, you'll notice no air gets forced out of the subwoofer and the sounds will be very bare.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But then what about in the car... some speakers are just the round grille thing which doesn't have air coming out (well a noticable amount)... how do they emit great bass?

sunny

meh.
HSC
A type of subwoofer is called a free air subwoofer. They don't come in the usual box-with-a-hole style housing, rather they use the boot of the car as the housing, which is why they are usually behind the rear seat. The ones you see through the grilles on the doors are probably not the subwoofers.

laserbrainz

HSC
Speakers in general

The other end of the spectrum from the "open-air" subs is the "sealed" speakers. Try it with your sub. Just put your hand over the hole (the port) when something is playing with a bit of bass, & seal it with the palm of your hand. You'll hear the sound change - it will be quieter, but perhaps a little less distorted ("tighter").

Sealed boxes allow the speaker's movement to be "cushioned", but it means that you need a bigger amp to get the cone to move in & out enough to get the same noise level. Thus, (computer speakers in particular) speakers sometimes are made to be ported, so that the amp can be smaller (which is cheaper), you get more sound (sort-of), & you can be a little more relaxed in the design of the box itself. However, some individual speakers (the cone/electromagnet bit, not the whole box) are better in certain circumstances, so it all depends on what is being thrown together. This explains the Altec/Creative dilemma - the speaker is probably a better one in the altech, but it is more inclined towards being sealed, but it was probably more expensive, because it probably has a bigger amp (or, creative could have done the usual big-brand thing & massiely overpriced it. Microsoft, Dell, Sony anyone??)

As for "touching sound waves", you kinda are - you can feel the air moving, which is transmitting the "sound waves", which can only work in a medium (stuff - air, water, steel, sand, whatever), but this is always happening - that's what happens in your ear - the air moves in & out on your eardrum, making it move, etc. giving you hearing (unless you're deaf, but I assume this is not the case.).

Sunny, I agree with you, except I think that speakers can work pretty well in the lower regions of sound as well. Think cinemas - their subs can go to ~3Hz. (that's 3 movements in/out per second). You feel that, rather than hear it. The only thing is the subs are very expensive. They cost upwards of $600 for one (MACKIE SW1500's are awesome for PA applications - I had 4 in one show - & one is able to peel gyprock off the wall ;) ), but they can do it. The speakers are normally hidden behind the screen itself (which is why there isn't an ugly big box in the room), but the screen is "accoustically transparent", so sound can go straight through without rippling the movie picture.

This is not exactly a cheap/simple option, but I built a decent pair of speakers (think ~$1000 pair of bookshelf speakers, built for $220), & got a reasonably decent amp (old, & cheap, but still works OK). Plug that into a computer couple of adaptors, add my 12 inch car sub into the circuit, & for around $350-$400, cheaper, & HEAPS better than the "all in one" solutions. Admittedly, it's only 2.1, but hey, i'm woking on that. :). I used it for a CD recording at school one day, & that worked pretty well.

Hope that explains the question/gives you (proably more than you need to know)adequate detail/gives you a thought for future expansion.

Also, use Winamp (5.x - just the freebie one is OK) & AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) for audio on computer. Think MP3 convenience (Track listings/names/playlist, etc), with near or equal CD quality, & 5.1/7.1 channel playback easy, & Comparable filesize. (It's the codec used to compress the audio In DVD's, & the one (slightly customised) used by apple in their iTunes/iPod combination. I'm no iPod fan, but they at least got that right). So good.

Damn, why isn't there a "sound" subject for the HSC. Heck, Pro Stage/sound/lighting/video would be an awesome course. Why am I going for BEng (Computer) next year ?????

Ppeaking of video, Gotta love dual 3500 ANSI Lumen projectors on 4x3 Metre screens. Anyhow, this post is long enough as it is. I'll leave it there.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
great post *thumbs up* I actually got the Altecs for an extra $100 on top of a 2.1 system with my Dell from a couple years back... spec-wise they don't seem that great (only 100watt RMS) but for computer speakers, I don't get why/how they can sound so good. We have a proper home theatre system (it's no B&O or Bose.. but it's a Kenwood and cost $1500ish?) and that sounds too... powerful, it doesn't have the sharpness of the Altecs.

I still don't get how some car speakers can sound so good, and others can sound so crap... do you have any thoughts on this? Like, I was testing out a Harmon Kardon system in the Mini Cooper and it sounded AWESOME... but there's no subwofoer or anything.

On a sidenote- talk about related advertising.. they are advertising Jenzen speakers thanks to Google advertising on BoS in this topic!

laserbrainz

HSC
DAMN
I had a post to chuck in here - another 1/2 hr novel, but it just quit on me.

The short of it is: The kenwood thing is probably the amp (guessing it's an all-in one home setup), but could be a whole swag of factors. Also, check for me if the Altec speakers are 100W RMS (root-mean-square) or 100W PMPO (Peak Maximum Power Output)

The car thing - well, it's the speakers themselves (call them the "drivers"). They are made out of different shapes & materials, & cost different amounts. the best thing with car audio is to usually leave the stock head unit, & replce all of the drivers with good ones. I like Peerless speakers (a Danish brand). If you are in Sydney (I'm not), go to wagner electronics (the retail arm of WES components -a wholesaler) (http://www.wagner.net.au/) & ask for a look at them. They are cheap, sound awesome, & are very high quality. OR, have a look here: (http://www.tymphany.com/products_Peerless.html).

Anyway, I might go into the novel again in a while.

Hope that helps

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely RMS- I wouldn't have bought it on PMPO. The Kenwood one has a huge amp (it's like the size of 2 and a half Xboxes!) with all these buttons on the front and a LOT of plugs/connections on the back... but then, I might just be easily impressed o_O ...

I'm considering whether or not to buy a stock upgrade sound system (Harmon Kardon Mini Cooper) since BMW uses proprietory deck/wiring and so on... it might be a pain in the ass to try to change everything; and might void the warranty. I've noticed on a lot of sites which talk about modding stereos with proprietory equipment that it's very messy and everything just luckily fits together... >_> I wouldn't mind a cool deck but I think that's a pointless feature which encourages people to nick it.

Luke_D

HSC
seremify007 said:
Definitely RMS- I wouldn't have bought it on PMPO. The Kenwood one has a huge amp (it's like the size of 2 and a half Xboxes!) with all these buttons on the front and a LOT of plugs/connections on the back... but then, I might just be easily impressed o_O ...

I'm considering whether or not to buy a stock upgrade sound system (Harmon Kardon Mini Cooper) since BMW uses proprietory deck/wiring and so on... it might be a pain in the ass to try to change everything; and might void the warranty. I've noticed on a lot of sites which talk about modding stereos with proprietory equipment that it's very messy and everything just luckily fits together... >_> I wouldn't mind a cool deck but I think that's a pointless feature which encourages people to nick it.
The stock system in the Mini Cooper (S) is unbelievable. If you can afford a Mini Cooper, I would suggest getting it proffessionally installed :) Installing systems yourself in newer cars isn't as easy as older cars. Upgrading the system would most definately void the warranty.

As for subs (subwoofers :rolleyes: ), some subs are designed to be installed in sealed enclosures, others, for vented or ported enclosures. Generally, sealed enclosures offer tighter, more accurate bass, while ported and vented enclosures offer better extended response way down low (15Hz - 35Hz). Although these days, ported enclosures can sound just as tight and accurate as sealed enclosures in the home cinema market. As far as car audio goes, vented enclosures will always be louder than sealed enclosures. They move more air, therefore they will be louder, leaving the resonant frequency of the car out of the equation :)

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
seremify007 said:

Most cars have their own proprietory wiring. Thats why you buy a wiring harness suitable for your car, or an iso loom, and then attach them using those blocks.

laserbrainz

HSC
just thought - i think that the amp may be too big for the speakers (not always bad), but they are just peaking - & distorting, & hence sound bad. Maybe try some better speakers (borrow from a friend & try it), then you'll know whether it's the speakers or something before that.

I like amps that size btw. - love the back panel full of connections (you then know you won't run out (i have on my little one - now i'm looking at conecting up a mixer!)

Gotta love good sound.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I know this may sound a bit stupid but I'm quite clueless- do those guys at strathfield car radios really know their shit? They seem friendly and all and they reckon they can install some low level converter and a subwoofer or something on a Mini Cooper but... there's something about 'em which leaves me feeling just that lil' bit uneasy if you get what I mean? Maybe they're just really casual about everything >_>

Luke_D

HSC
seremify007 said:
I know this may sound a bit stupid but I'm quite clueless- do those guys at strathfield car radios really know their shit? They seem friendly and all and they reckon they can install some low level converter and a subwoofer or something on a Mini Cooper but... there's something about 'em which leaves me feeling just that lil' bit uneasy if you get what I mean? Maybe they're just really casual about everything >_>
NNooooooo!!! Don't let Strathfield touch you Mini! Please, for your own sake if not mine :) lol. Put it this way, Strathfield is a good place to buy cheaper products from if you go into the store knowing what you're going to buy. Don't take advice from them and DO NOT let them do you a deal where if they install it you'll get it cheaper.

There's only two places that I would get my stuff installed by, and that's Doran Pro Audio and FHRX Studios. The installations that these guys do might cost a bit more, but it's worth it. Strathfield use dodgy wiring and their installations are just general sketchy.

These two places are two of the best car audio installers in Sydney, if not Australia. If you don't believe me, head over to Car Audio Australia and check out the forum. The guys on the forum are friendly plus you'll get some good advice there. :)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that =]... I've always been really concerned about Stratty Car Radios. I mean I'm sure they are a great place and all, but they seem to target the "young street racer" market in terms of loud-audio systems and so on... I'm also planning on upgrading my Daihatsu Terios (it was inherited frm my sis^^)... I'm sure stratty is alright for that- I'm planning to buy some parts from Asia since my cousin reckons decks are 1/3-1/2 the price overseas- does anyone have any ideas of something I should look out for (eg. they use same cabling and stuff as here I'd imagine? international warranties?)

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
hey i just bought a Pioneer CD tuner, dont know the precise model though from indonesia, dont know which part of asia your purchasing yours from but its about 20 % cheaper in indonesia so your not really saving much, this applies to singapore malaysia also, u said some thing about warranties, you wont get any such warrantie even when u purchase it there and if it doesnt work theyll wont refund or exchange so let the buyer be aware (Caveat emptor) i had a friend who had the same model back here and there is a slight difference in quality the housing around it is more secure in the aus model

In my opinion i wouldnt bother getting any electronics from asia its the added support u get here e.g installation warrantie etc that will benefit for a misely 20 or so bucks, But it is a differtn story if u got it for 80% cheaper than back here :cool:

Luke_D

HSC
th said:
hey i just bought a Pioneer CD tuner, dont know the precise model though from indonesia, dont know which part of asia your purchasing yours from but its about 20 % cheaper in indonesia so your not really saving much, this applies to singapore malaysia also, u said some thing about warranties, you wont get any such warrantie even when u purchase it there and if it doesnt work theyll wont refund or exchange so let the buyer be aware (Caveat emptor) i had a friend who had the same model back here and there is a slight difference in quality the housing around it is more secure in the aus model

In my opinion i wouldnt bother getting any electronics from asia its the added support u get here e.g installation warrantie etc that will benefit for a misely 20 or so bucks, But it is a differtn story if u got it for 80% cheaper than back here :cool:
True. But there's almost always a manufactures warrenty no matter where you buy anything electronic. But I agree, electronics aren't as cheap as they used to be overseas. You're better off buying them here.

And seremify007, I beg of you, don't let Strathfield touch your Daihatsu Terios seriously. I wouldn't even let them near my $500 shit box that I used to own. Depending on where you live, I can reccomend a few places.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My cousin bought the Pioneer DEH-P9600MP CD/ MP3 Tuner for $599sgd (about $570aud) when it first came out... and at the time the RRP in Australia was over $1400aud! That was a considerable saving IMO.

But... yeh I'm still unsure whether I want to take the risk. I've bought stuff overseas ($500 MD for example) which sure it was $300 cheaper than aus, but with no warranty... it happened to die >_>

Btw what places do you recommend? I'd like a good price- and I'm surprised you don't trust Strathfield even with a Terios.. Terios isn't exactly the ... nicest car at all? It's kinda cheap- it only came with a 2 speakers stereo!

Luke_D

HSC
seremify007 said:
My cousin bought the Pioneer DEH-P9600MP CD/ MP3 Tuner for $599sgd (about $570aud) when it first came out... and at the time the RRP in Australia was over $1400aud! That was a considerable saving IMO.

But... yeh I'm still unsure whether I want to take the risk. I've bought stuff overseas ($500 MD for example) which sure it was $300 cheaper than aus, but with no warranty... it happened to die >_>

Btw what places do you recommend? I'd like a good price- and I'm surprised you don't trust Strathfield even with a Terios.. Terios isn't exactly the ... nicest car at all? It's kinda cheap- it only came with a 2 speakers stereo!
I see where you're coming from but the type of car doesn't really matter. Whether it's a Bentley or a Hyundai, they still use the same poor quality wiring, and the install is just sketchy. Although they may give lifetime or extended warrenties on installation, you'll find yourself going back their several times to get it fixed.

As I've mentioned before, I would suggest Doran Pro Audio on Canterbury Road, Bankstown and FHRX Studios in the Sutherland shire. Alternatively, try The Lifestyle Store. I personally would prefer not to go there but they're good for just your basic installs :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)