Success in 2004 for Maths Extension (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
What sort of practise questions and books are best for 3 unit. Currently we are using maths in focus but Ive heard that Fitzpatrick among others are a lot better.

What books should i be getting as supplementaries?

HELP ME. :D

kthxbi.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
mathsi in focus is crap

fitzpatrick, coroneous and cambridge are much harder, and better for inclass exercises.

i suggest jeff geha's fast track, and tips books (by excel) as i like them as study guides and for reference. then just do past questions.

i found i had about 10 study guides, but didn't use them all that much

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
fitzpatrick is good for a textbook. supplementary, i recommend cambridge 3u.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Geha's 50 tips (excel) is good, as well as the excel past paper book also by Geha...the 15 exams in that book are a lot harder than normal 3u exams and are good practice

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by evilc
Geha's 50 tips (excel) is good, as well as the excel past paper book also by Geha...the 15 exams in that book are a lot harder than normal 3u exams and are good practice
na that 15 past papers are by patel i think, not jeff geha.

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
for questions 100 mini hsc's (has solutions)

fitzpatrick is a great textbook .. .. questions covers different levels hard, easy.. etc

kri1987

It's not always about wat kind of text books you use. I really am a strong believer in making notes yourself. Write out the formula, have a few good examples beneath it, for quick revision.

I actually think focus has really good illustrative examples... but the exersises are crap.

There's an old book called John Smith HSC Practice questions by topic and also some Phoenix book. They are the best books for exersises as they have worked solutions at the back.

Cheers

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
yep, cambridge 3u got excellent questions. It actually makes your brain do some work and you are likely to become better a problem solving (provided you have grasped the basics)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by kri1987
It's not always about wat kind of text books you use. I really am a strong believer in making notes yourself. Write out the formula, have a few good examples beneath it, for quick revision.
i agree with that. it's your own notes that make the difference. but with maths good texts set you up for knowing how to do hard questions, as maths is all practice. and good texts help with your probs

in other subjects i didn't really use my study guides because i made my own notes. in maths i did.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
math in focus for understanding of basics and proofs... no good questions

past and trial papers for practice... most relevent; use questions by topic or successone if you haven't finished the course

keep a record of the common mistakes that you made and the speed at which you can do different type of questions at. also, it would be wise to write down the different 'tricks' that you learned for future revision... make a graph of your strengths and weaknesses. then find a way iron out your weaknesses. repeat this procedure until perfect... that is if have the time.

and spend 10-15 min everyday doing basic algebra and arithmetic as fast as you can... this can minimise the amount of silly mistakes in exam situations dramatically

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i quite liked the ones written by Jones and couchman. the explanations were pretty straight forward. fitz is good for more practises.

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
cambridge is pretty challenging, but if you can get your head around it, you'll be fine. maths in focus does at least explain the topic clearly. Our school gave us Jones and Couchman, which isn't too bad either, though the bad thing is they never gave solutions to questions which require proofs.

Just keep practising and do all your homework. Never slack off to the point where you have to catch up, cos I did that and had to spend my whole summer holidays catching up.

Saintly Devil

Success One past 15 year papers rocks. its nice and simple, has all the questions categorised into topics so you can use it for tests throughout the year, not just at the end.

Really, as it says on the book, you can't get better than the real thing. Practice every single past paper question in that booklet - importantly, understand every question - and u should be prepared. But only use it as a before-the-test-revision thing. For general study use any of the above.

scandal

HSC
Make sure u do all questions from the last 10 years of HSC's in the weeks leading up to the HSC. i found this was very helpful as the paper itself was pretty much what i expected, in terms of types of questions, for most of it.

I found maths in focus good to learn the basics but fitzpatrick better for exercises - start with easy stuff and work ur way up - if u throw urself in the deep end u might give up easily. Dont forget to challenge yourself also.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
...i found i had about 10 study guides, but didn't use them all that much
yeah, on that point- i felt that its waste of money to have too much books, rather just stick to two text books, a study guide, and past paper book and 50 tips book....yeah, its just a waste of money to buy more then these books, coz ur not gonna use them all.

LadyMoon

HSC
Stick with Cambridge and you are guarnteed atleast 80% raw.....well in my opinion anyways.

And lots of papers, download all the trial papers from bored, and buy a book with the past HSC papers, and answers.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by LadyMoon
Stick with Cambridge and you are guarnteed atleast 80% raw.....well in my opinion anyways.

And lots of papers, download all the trial papers from bored, and buy a book with the past HSC papers, and answers.
thats actually if you do the work in side the book :rolleyes:

but different textbooks have different areas in which theyre good in.. i mean as scandal said, i too have like 10 different books for maths :( they consist of like past papers.. i dont have any of those 50 tips stuf.. i think they dont work.. if you've studied anough, then you dont need it. maths cram,ming / night before reading never works.,..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)