• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Success stories for HSC? (Failing internal assessments but getting a good ATAR) (1 Viewer)

Etherlee

HSC
N/A
Hi there,

So I have not been doing well in school assessment tasks (trials still to come but I am not sure I can do well)
School is ranked 300-400. We're not a bunch of geniuses and some aren't hard workers.
So I wanted to see if anyone has ever achieved an ATAR over 85 (preferably over 90) BUT did not do too well (not top ranks, just middle) for internal school marks, but also went to a poorly ranked school and failed some exams (I haven't failed any exams, I just haven't did well, I just passed and my average marks are in the 60-70 except maths with 50...)

So yeah, did you get an ATAR over 85 (over 90 even better) BUT your school rank wasn't good, internal ranks weren't the best and internal marks were not too good. If so, how? Study habit changed? Top ranking people flunked out?
Or here is a better question, is it even possible to get over 90 with poor internal marks and rankings and school ranking but lifting your game in HSC?

(don't have to answer all)
What was the approx. school rank.
How bad was the internal mark?
Were you surprised? Was the whole grade hard working?
What was your ATAR (or approx if you don't want to really say)
How many band 4 5 and 6?
What subjects?

- From someone who needs hope and motivation.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
160 - 200 (varied)

Internal marks were disgusting.

Maths around 50-60%, English around 60%, Ancient LOL 45%

Yeah I basically gave up halfway through the year

How many band 4 5 and 6?

all band 5's

What subjects?

Maths was like 80, English 89, Ancient 83 (And I honestly bombed out completely during HSC, so surprised I even got band 5 in Ancient)

Advice: It's all about your ranks, just make sure you study hard for HSC.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't rely on other people's motivational stories to motivate you, create your own:)-by getting off BOS and studying as hard as you can for your trials and HSC, forget about disappointments, remember all your mistakes, and strive to not make them in the actual exam.-Believe, persevere, Repeat:)

ShadowLighte

HSC
160 - 200 (varied)

How many band 4 5 and 6?

all band 5's

What subjects?

Maths was like 80, English 89, Ancient 83 (And I honestly bombed out completely during HSC, so surprised I even got band 5 in Ancient)

Well damn. Your assessments must have either been really hard and you were highly ranked or you smashed the HSC or both.

90atarpls

HSC
This is my brother
school rank 220
ranks: average/less than average
came back in trials and hsc and got band 5 in everything and 87 atar

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Well damn. Your assessments must have either been really hard and you were highly ranked or you smashed the HSC or both.
Assessments were fine, marking was harsh. Ranks were relatively okay, except for English, I was in the bottom half. So I honestly never thought I'd do well in English, but what do you know? lol.

I'll admit I did study hard for the HSC, but in the end it all depends on your school's marking. That's what I'm trying to get through to OP. Getting a 50% in OP's school may as well equate to getting 90% in the HSC.

Etherlee

HSC
N/A
Wow I want to achieve over 85!
I'm going to try and achieve over 95% in something (it's difficult because no one ever gets over 90 in 4/5 of my subjects. Highest would be a high 80 only. Whereas in maths, lots of people get over 90, but I'm stuck with a 50-70) for Trials.
My ranks are okay (Top 10 for English, top 5 for Business Studies, middle rank for Legal Studies with a glass of 10, top 10 for biology) But no one achieves over 90 in these subjects, even rank 1.
Just maths.... is bad... let's just say bottom half.
But I am going to go over the things I can't do. I am capable of doing it... most of it at least. It's just how I think, my friend would have a weird way of doing things and use formulas and methods I would never think of...
Okay, well at least now, I know I am not screwed and that I can redeem myself.

Etherlee

HSC
N/A
I guess the 4 Units of Maths scaled you up heaps. Because I was told one Band 4 will drag your ATAR down.

enoilgam

HSC
Your questions are a bit too vague and difficult to answer. From a mathematical perspective, it is possible to do well after bombing your internals at a poorly ranked school. Realistically though, it isnt likely - a turnaround is very difficult, especially if you havent been putting in effort all year and you need to catch up. People who get themselves in that position are usually the least equipped to get out. Most of the turnaround stories come from people who do put in effort, but have just had a run of poor luck or havent been at their best (very few people are in this boat). Without a proper study foundation, a turnaround is extremely difficult. That's not to say that it cant be done, it's just a realistic take on the situation.

All that being said, focus on doing your best and that should set you up for a decent ATAR.

Simile

HSC
N/A
Sorry for the repeat. It is just that I wanted to know because I was unable to complete a section in modern history exam (have been consistently getting about 80+ And in the top 5), so if I was just going to have a profound impact,seeing if I can still get a 90+.

Simile

HSC
N/A
Are you being honest about the internal marks and the ranks? So is it just all about the ranks and differences between you and your cohort.

lolitaaa

HSC
160 - 200 (varied)

How many band 4 5 and 6?

all band 5's

What subjects?

Holy fuck, so you go 60% internal assessment mark (like when you weight it)?? And then you got 89 in hsc? That's really insane!! Nice work!!
Did you smash hsc?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Holy fuck, so you go 60% internal assessment mark (like when you weight it)?? And then you got 89 in hsc? That's really insane!! Nice work!!
Did you smash hsc?
No, those were the marks my teachers gave me, not my aligned marks.

But yeah they were aligned to 89

Simile

HSC
N/A
I am a bit confused about this alignment. How does alignment work? ( sorry if I am asking the same question you probably asked before numerous times)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)