Success without tutoring for MX2? (1 Viewer)

Supaman92

HSC
So to 08 and 09ers, is it possible to do well without tutoring for MX2? to 08ers have you actually done well without tutoring (proof please)? and to 09ers, have many of you already started and/or finished the MX2 course at tutoring already? I'm just wondering because it seems a lot of people have done so in my school, and i'm worried that because i didn't i'll go pretty shit in it (even though i'll work my arse off). Does it matter even though we havent even started MX2 at school?

adnan91

HSC
Supaman92 said:
So to 08 and 09ers, is it possible to do well without tutoring for MX2? to 08ers have you actually done well without tutoring (proof please)? and to 09ers, have many of you already started and/or finished the MX2 course at tutoring already? I'm just wondering because it seems a lot of people have done so in my school, and i'm worried that because i didn't i'll go pretty shit in it (even though i'll work my arse off). Does it matter even though we havent even started MX2 at school?
I would say go tutoring...

1: You can finish more topics earlier than your skool.
2: I dont know wat skool u go to but sometimes you can get stuck with a bad teacher that cant really teach 4unit.
3: Tutor will give u resources..
4: More time towards the end of the year to revise--which is very useful to have.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Im pretty sure there is already a thread on this but whatever.

You do not need a tutor to do well in 4 unit, but of course it depends on your ability.

I have never had tutoring in maths, and never learnt anything before we were taught it class (so I didnt self-teach myself 4unit in year 11 like some people). Obviously I havent done the HSC yet, so I cant compare my results with the rest of the state, although I topped both 3 and 4 unit in my school with averages >90% in both.

Its just about working hard, and working smart. Dont let work get on top of you. If there is something you dont understand, try and work it out yourself. Honestly, working things out for yourself is probably more beneficial than having a tutor explain it to you anyway, because you go through the process of doing it (it is almost like training your brain to work out problems, which is expecially important for harder 3unit question, because often youll get a question like nothing youve seen before and you have to work out what to do with it). And if you still cant do it, ask your teacher, i'm sure theyll help.

Also, keep practicing the whole year round. Once you finish learning a topic in class, go through a past HSC book and do all the questions that relate to that topic, so you become confident in them way before the HSC

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
I haven't done any tutoring and I'm doing ok. Im getting around 90/120 for the exams, hoping to be able to get around 100/120 for the Hsc. Tutoring would probably help, but it's not like you will fail if you don't do tutoring.

Affinity

HSC
you don't need a tutor.. you just have to approach it the right way

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Don't need tutoring. Just working smart, perseverance and a little bit of luck! :)

Zeber

HSC
i'm self teaching 4unit and i've noticed its more so developing a train of thought than actual rigorous tutoring.

dedication is needed however

leisl1990

HSC
i will probably be able to answer this question after the hsc.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
Tutors are in no way necessary. They can definitely help though. If you have a bad teacher, like I did, then it's often quite beneficial to have a tutor to explain whatever you're having trouble with, but I don't think I would have done too much worse without my tutor.

The thing I would recommend that is absolutely invaluable is practising trials and past papers from as early as possible. They are the real things that bring up your marks.

So I think that although it can help to have a tutor, you definitely don't need one to succeed in this course.

Affinity

HSC
If you don't understand something you should work it out yourself..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
i dont plan to have a tutor next yr for maths although most of my grade does so its gonna be hard but i hav a goal to beat most of these people.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
hopethisworks said:
if you need a tutor

you should not be doing mx2

/thread
That's basically like saying you shouldn't do MX2 if you need a teacher. Some people have terrible teachers, so their tutor becomes their acting teacher.

flipwip

HSC
I started yr 12 doing maths ex 2 but gave up part way through. I didn't have any tutoring and I think I could have gone OK but I decided I had other priorities. Tutoring really annoys me! I think it is extremely unfair that those who can afford it have the ability to get a better education than those who cant. But hey what can you do?
I think it is possible to do well without tutoring but you have to put a LOT of effort in (which I think you'd have to do with tutoring anyway). You can always start it and go from there.

Rfelt110191

HSC
I dont have a tutor and am doing alright... but that's partly due to my generally crappy maths ability... The person whose topping 4u at my school this yr doesnt have a tutor and the person who topped last yr didnt either and came out of the hsc with 94% around there... we tend to have crappy teachers tho so most ppl get a tutor instead but what i find is that if u r able to work it out urself and r not dependent on tutors it'll stick in and u'll do better, altho it is alot of hard work and takes alot of time and effort.

Zeber

HSC
imo tutoring for 4unit is different from tutoring 2/3u or sciences, you can't teach the train of thought required, only teach them what happens and why it happens unitl they can adopt their train of thought to that level.

so no, it's not spoonfeeding really.

stuffuhsc

HSC
well, i did x2 without tutor but how can i proof it = =
I think it really depends on ur self-motivation. if u keep doing maths everyday, i don't see the point for a tutor

kevda1st

HSC
Talking about tutors...Is it better to have a private tutor, or go to Coaching college classes??
I found that Coaching college classes didn't help in my junior days but private helped me a lot during year 10 to half way between year 11. But my yearly mark has gone down drastically even though i have been doing consistent work with my tutor.

Most of my friends goes to tutoring in classes(most at chatswood)

What should i do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)