Successful Atar without tutoring?? (1 Viewer)

dabatman

HSC
N/A
The other day my friend told me that she has a cousin who achieved an Atar of 99.85 without tutoring and she attends one of the top 10 selective schools (Hornsby girls). She did this with textbooks and notes.

If a person were from a low ranking school, would they be able to achieve a high Atar without tutoring and just relying on textbooks??

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah if you rank first in all the subjects no one will bring you down.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The thing is-some people are able to efficiently study by themselves and achieve very good results because they know how to study and have displine to study consistently, however if you are not one of those people-then getting a tutor might be helpful to maintain your motivation and discipline as well as point you to more efficient way to decode information.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Then you're fine.

It's about the cohort, not the school rank.
I thought school rank does somewhat have an indication of the cohort

E.g. at a selective school ranked in the top 40s, ther'd be around 50 band 6's for english advanced (depending on the school and cohort size)

Last edited:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
The hsc is stupid in that mass rote learning gets you band sixes. Anyone that works hard enough can memories their way to a "successful", as you put it, atar.

si2136

HSC
N/A
I thought school rank does somewhat have an indication of the cohort

E.g. at a selective school ranked in the top 40s, ther'd be around 50 band 6's for english advanced (depending on the school and cohort size)
Yeah somewhat

but it doesn't stop people getting b6

For example, ik some schools that have a good maths faculty, low rank

ik some schools that have a good english faculty, low rank

dabatman

HSC
N/A
If it comes to just relying on textbooks and notes , it is possible I can say. It's just you must have a lot of dedication for perfecting the subject and the textbooks you use should be the ones that are renowned within the top 30 selective high schools as such for mathematics for example:
-Fundamental Mathematics Year 11, 12 3U and 4u By Terry lee
-New Senior Mathematics J.B Fitzpatrick
Textbooks such as these I have named, take substitute of the questions that tutor teachers give but some of these questions require further explanation , for that you can use the internet or ask someone who has more knowledge in the chosen topic.
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)