SuDoKu? (1 Viewer)

fatmuscle

HSC
Anyone do these sudoku puzzles found in the Daily Telegraph?

I'm obsessed with them.

I have to do it everyday (unless i'm way too busy).

If you do these puzzles,
what are some of the methods you use to solve them?

Also, if you download that sudoku program, there's variations on the puzzles. Like a 9x15 sized puzzle.
I shall do it after my exams.

SlipStream

HSC
fatmuscle said:

I'm obsessed with them.

If you do these puzzles,

Also, if you download that sudoku program, there's variations on the puzzles. Like a 9x15 sized puzzle.
My modern teacher is also infatuated with them. Her infatuation distracts her from, err, teaching. :(

She always tells us about them and psychs up about them. Yep, we are kinda doin our HSC here, luv.

They better be as good as what people make them out to be. I don't want to be wasting, what, a buck twenty five on a newspaper when I can buy three - THREE - Chuppa chups for the same price.

fatmuscle

HSC
well, we get home deliver, so it's a bit cheaper.

My mum, dad, sister and myself read the paper.

we use the paper for lining my dog's shit section.
and we often use scraps of paper for other stuff.
so that $1.25 can go a long way. Not just for SuDoKu

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
scan one up so we can see it

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Try the Dion Cube for a bit of an extra challenge. (Sudoku in 3 dimensions)

fatmuscle

HSC
i dunno how much a paper is :p

the dion ended up being pretty easy.
you have to do like 2 levels, then there's a pattern, and u just follow the pattern, fill in the numbers blind folded.

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
The aim of the puzzle is to enter a number from 1 through 9 in each cell of a grid, most frequently a 9×9 grid made up of 3×3 subgrids (called ‘regions’ ), starting with various numbers given in some cells (the ‘givens’ ). Each row, column and region must contain only one instance of each number.

An example. I’m a big fan, despite my lack of success at any other level above easy.

This beginners guide is also interesting.

http://www.sudoku.org.uk/PDF/Solving_Sudoku.pdf

Last edited:

Lain

HSC
Ah yes Sudoku.. mmm.. They appear in all the major newspapers, well at least the SMH, Daily Telegraph and the Australian.

I love to solve them except at some point in the 'tough' and above rated (by SMH) ones, I don't know any techniques besides guessing, even if it is reasonable guessing by trying to predict the outcomes.. anyone have any hints?

There is also an apparent pattern formed by the initially given numbers and their places on the grid. Does this help in solving, or anything, or does it just look nice?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
its not too hard, just takes a bit of time and concentration. first u start with column or row with most number given already. then work on that one. then go to the next one and use elimination as the primary method of 'guessing'. keep going problem is u fock up one and probably focked the whole thing.

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
HotShot said:
its not too hard, just takes a bit of time and concentration. first u start with column or row with most number given already. then work on that one. then go to the next one and use elimination as the primary method of 'guessing'. keep going problem is u fock up one and probably focked the whole thing.
i dont look at the columns, i look for the number with the most already given then work from there.

X

xeuyrawp

fatmuscle said:

I'm obsessed with them.

If you do these puzzles,

I am very, very obsessed with them. My greek lecturer once saw me doing one in the lecture, and waited till I noticed. The only problem was that I noticed him waiting because someone nudged me after a minute of silence.

I've been trying to refine my method, but I find the best way to start is the "red bars"- ie you imagine red bars coming out from numbers, thus excluding positions.

Then when you're out of that, you move onto the "counting from one to ten" for 3x3 boxes, the rows, and the columns.

Then, I move to the "plan ahead"- if this goes here, that goes there, etc.

Generally I go in that order, unless the first methods are working.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I do the sudoku in the SMH every day. It's kinda hard to explain the tactics, but I can get the tough ones done in 15 min. so I must be doing something right.

fatmuscle

HSC
so SuDoKu is in SMH now?

There's a few cool puzzles.

DT has SuDoKu and the jumble!
SMH has 'Target'

btw, does anyone know if SuDoKu's are all symmetrical?
like when u get one to do, the boxes filled are in a 180 deg symmetry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)