Suggest a new game to buy. (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
I would estimate that the 9600 PRO would be selling around 200 something dollars.
I could buy that graphics card, bu then not have enough money for a game:p.

And yes, you're right, you WOULD need atleast 1024MB RAM to run Doom 3 smoothly.. but I was just pointing out that at your current specs, the urgency to upgrade your video card is WAY higher than your RAM. Infact, you could even consider upgrading to 768MB, since 256MB RAM chips on PC2700 really are cheap nowadays, probably less than 70 bucks or so.. (maybe I'm wrong.. but I think I'm about right).
Fair enough:).

I really thought Far Cry was good, because in most FPSes, it seems everything was based on a 'level' system in some complex.. if that makes sense. Now this Far Cry game seems to be on a megahuge island with fantastic scenery.. and it just demonstrated the beauty of freedom.. I mean snipering off people over a kilometer away on the top of a exorbitantly high clifftop seems just my style lol.
I understood you. I think that the reason may be because it was easier to design/draw walls on either side of you, than have to design/draw difficult plants, streams, trees, etc.:).

I chose AMD because they are generally cheaper. Notice that I'm not buying an AMD Athlon XP chip.. I'm purchasing the new Athlon 64 ones, which are 64 bit. Precisely I'm going for a Athlon 64 3000+, which in benchmarks tend outperform 10% more than the Pentium 4 at 3.0GHz. And it's around 30% cheaper.. so I reckon I would be an idiot to go with Intel there. Not because of the quality of course, just the price. But in my sincere opinion, I do believe AMD has the best chip out there at the moment with it's Athlon FX53 (which costs frikken $1500).
I see:).

And with the video card, both companies are still very good and most probably equal. Infact, I was going to go with an ATi card until a week ago. The reason why I'm going Nvidia this time is because their cards in general have better OpenGL capabilities and stencil shading abilities, which is what I need for Doom 3. Similarly, if you're a bigger Half Life 2 fan, then you should go for the ATi Radeons. Again with the video cards, none of the companies are outstripping the other at the moment.. if anything it's up to individual games or just miscellaneous personal preference.
Fair enough:).

By the way, thanks to everyone who made suggestions:).

Collin

HSC
N/A
Notice the really realistic water effects in those Far Cry pictures.. that's what I meant before with the rendering and stuff abilities of higher end cards.. I mean let's pretend your 9000 Radeon could run the entire game on maximum detail with good frame rates.. then you still won't have water effects as good as those because your card simply doesn't have the ability.. so if you ever want your FPSers to look good.. worry about the video card alot. :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
.. yes and your pocket.. and lifesavings too perhaps :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Notice the really realistic water effects in those Far Cry pictures.. that's what I meant before with the rendering and stuff abilities of higher end cards.. I mean let's pretend your 9000 Radeon could run the entire game on maximum detail with good frame rates.. then you still won't have water effects as good as those because your card simply doesn't have the ability.. so if you ever want your FPSers to look good.. worry about the video card alot. :)
Yeah, I knew what you were talking about. Do you know if the 9600 Pro has rendering, etc.? I might end up saving for that if it does:).

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
imho i would wait for the nxt gen cardz to arrive and get cheaper ...

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Don't forget to get $70 mousepads like me. And $20 mouse skates, and a mouse bungee so that your mouse accesories will end up costing more than the mouse itself, like mine :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by RUB!X
imho i would wait for the nxt gen cardz to arrive and get cheaper ...
Do you mean lower end new graphics cards? When are they due to be released:confused:?

dakz0rz

You won't regret it.
you judge before you play?
e3 2004 trailer.... all it was was showing how much darkness there is and chuggy graphics

sammeh

far cry is a fantastic game but be warned you WILL need a beast to run it at any appreciable frame rate. same to be said for me other current pets - deus ex 2 and thief 3 (will buy it when i can find money...)

my pc is an athlon64 3000+ (oc'd to 2.2ghz) with 512mb of 500mhz corsair ram, and a ti4200 (the real chokepoint in the system) and i only just get 100fps in large areas on low detail.

anyway, i do have to say that mr dragon's proposed system will be a killer. im going to pick up a frinds 9800pro when he upgrades and my system should start pulling its weight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)