Suggestions... (1 Viewer)

oliver.lacey

HSC
Okay, I’m facing a bit a dilemma about subject selection. Yeah, I’m sorry to bring up the X subject Y subject thing but I’m in abit of a pickle. My school won’t allow me to do 13 units and recently I’ve had to decide upon doing SOR II & Extension English with SOR I. The big problem is, I’m very good at both English and Religion and I’m in the top 1-2 of my school which is rather large. Doing both would mean I’d be forced to do a subject which doesn’t interest me the slightest (eg computer applications).

Here’s my list of positives and cons of each.
English Extension
Pro: Scales well :D
Pro: Both my parents are English teachers.
Pro: The content looks interesting, and also gives me the option of Extension 2.
Con: It’s an extension, time spent on it could possibly be spent better in other areas (eg History)
Con: All the sabbys at the bottom of my English class are doing it because they want to be sports journalists…

SOR II
Pro: The content is apparently REALLY interesting.
Pro: Less time consuming, I could work in other 2 units
Pro: I never do anything in half measures; SOR II would allow full work of the Religion course.
Pro: I’ve done Religion for the last 4 years; if the courses are similar I’d have the background knowledge.
Con: It doesn’t scale as well :(

Con: Doesn’t come with the prestige of an extension.
Con: There would be an equal amount of sabbys in here.

So, let’s imagine that tomorrow, both you and I were struck by lightning and our conscious left our bodies and swapped places. Which course would you choose, and why?

HSC
N/A
Another factor you might want to consider is what you're planning to do AFTER uni.

If our situations were reversed, I'd be doing EE1 (well, I did EE2 as well :D) because I was interested in doing creative writing at uni. I've been in your situation a couple of times in uni - ultimately it boils down to a) which one you want to do more, b) which one is more useful to you and c) which one (if any) could be studied outside of the course? Don't forget that if you have friends doing the course, you can always look at their notes :)

Other pros of Eng Ext1 are the writing skills. Don't underestimate the pathetic structuring and wankiness of Eng Adv (muchos blame and knives thrown at the Board of Studies here) - eng ext 1 does a hell of a lot to make things seem more bearable/understandable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)