Suicide in Australia (1 Viewer)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
What you say is valid; but the government should still spend money on it. It's a problem which costs lives. And that's something that needs to be addressed.
The easy option isn't necessarily the correct one.
ok, but you do realise that the government doesn't have an unlimited supply of money, right? if they are going to spend it on suicide prevention, then that means something else is going without that cash. how much money should be spent on suicide prevention, and why should that money be taken away from other areas?

you seem to have just decided that suicide is the worst thing happening in this country, and that it should be stopped at all costs. but how much money would it take to stop suicide altogether? is that even possible? if it's impossible to stop suicide, then how low does the suicide rate have to be before you consider it acceptable? how much money would it take to reach this acceptable rate? and meanwhile, what happens to education, health, law enforcement, etc that need money as well?

Ellie_Belly

HSC
crazyhomo said:
ok, but you do realise that the government doesn't have an unlimited supply of money, right? if they are going to spend it on suicide prevention, then that means something else is going without that cash. how much money should be spent on suicide prevention, and why should that money be taken away from other areas?

you seem to have just decided that suicide is the worst thing happening in this country, and that it should be stopped at all costs. but how much money would it take to stop suicide altogether? is that even possible? if it's impossible to stop suicide, then how low does the suicide rate have to be before you consider it acceptable? how much money would it take to reach this acceptable rate? and meanwhile, what happens to education, health, law enforcement, etc that need money as well?
I didn't say suicide was the worst thing happening in the country.
It SHOULD be stopped at all costs.
I don't think suicide can ever be stopped, nor can a rate ever be "acceptable". However, lives are lives, and the lower the rate, the better.
I don't think money should be taken away from other areas - except things like war.

You miss my point. I'm not saying that the government can ever stop suicide. BUT it can make things better. Just like with health. You can't stop people dieing in hospitals, but you can reduce the number.

There is never an easy solution but the problem can be made (even if only slightly) better.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
I didn't say suicide was the worst thing happening in the country.
I don't think suicide can ever be stopped, nor can a rate ever be "acceptable". However, lives are lives, and the lower the rate, the better.
I don't think money should be taken away from other areas - except things like war.

You miss my point. I'm not saying that the government can ever stop suicide. BUT it can make things better. Just like with health. You can't stop people dieing in hospitals, but you can reduce the number.

There is never an easy solution but the problem can be made (even if only slightly) better.
you don't think money should be taken away from other areas. so where does the money for suicide prevention come from? you also say that suicide should be stopped "at all costs". but how can you do this if you can't take money away from other areas?

you are missing my point, where does this money to prevent suicide come from? you need to take it from somewhere, it doesn't just magically appear. and why should this money be spent on preventing suicide, when it could be spent on building a new hospital, which would save more lives than suicide prevention could ever hope to save?

you're just angry at the government for letting it happen, when you don't actually have any real world solutions to the problem

Ellie_Belly

HSC
crazyhomo said:
you don't think money should be taken away from other areas. so where does the money for suicide prevention come from? you also say that suicide should be stopped "at all costs". but how can you do this if you can't take money away from other areas?

you are missing my point, where does this money to prevent suicide come from? you need to take it from somewhere, it doesn't just magically appear. and why should this money be spent on preventing suicide, when it could be spent on building a new hospital, which would save more lives than suicide prevention could ever hope to save?

you're just angry at the government for letting it happen, when you don't actually have any real world solutions to the problem
Did I say that I had a real world solution?

No.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Ellie_Belly said:
Well, in that case the government has no excuse! They should be doing a lot more about the issue.
Ellie_Belly said:
What you say is valid; but the government should still spend money on it.
Ellie_Belly said:

I'm not saying that the government can ever stop suicide. BUT it can make things better.
Ellie_Belly said:
Did I say that I had a real world solution?

No.
so, did you have a point, apart from the need to show outrage at the system?

davin

HSC
N/A
Ellie, which charity do you donate money to atm for this? just since i don't know which charities are out there

Ellie_Belly

HSC
SuNrIsE_oVa_sEa said:
damnn im so voting for ellie belly to be prime minister lol
Anywayz yer i think not enough is being done. Ive had depression for 5 years, thats most of my teenage years, and i am the least person u would think that would have depression-the thing that annoys me is that ppl dont understand it because the word 'depressed' has been used so often, the word is now understated. Also wat fustrates me is the fact that sum ppl dnt understand that it can also be a genetic problem -stopping the normal flow of chemicals in the brain and that you cant just 'snap' out of it and that it is so hard to help urself thats why i think education should be a stategy that the government should instill somehow, If more people understand it we can all help eachother
Wow, that's terrible. Are you still suffering?

Yes, the word is overused, I agree.

That's a really good point. I agree, society needs to know more about it for the benefit of everyone.

It's such a sad thing, and really, really tragic is the fact that in most cases, all it takes is a bit of love.

arrested development
HSC
I agree that the term "depression" is thrown around too much. I know people who think they've "suffered depression" because their boyfriend broke up with them and they cried for a week or whatever. Sure, they probably felt depressed; but in no way is that the same as being paralysed by chronic depression. It shits me to tears because it just trivialises real depression and people misunderstand what it's like to be chronically depressed. Fucking hell, it's not something you can just "snap out of" or get over by "taking a walk".

jt.

HSC
Cure for depression.

Family, love, sex, good food, good wine, green fields, music, composing, reading, laughing, catharsis (any form, poetry, conversation), NO drugs or excessive alcohol. Realisation that western life is better than most of the world. swimming, appreciating the small things in life and realising that they are everywhere to be found. good friends, relationships, sport. etc etc.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
jt. said:
Cure for depression.

Family, love, sex, good food, good wine, green fields, music, composing, reading, laughing, catharsis (any form, poetry, conversation), NO drugs or excessive alcohol. Realisation that western life is better than most of the world. swimming, appreciating the small things in life and realising that they are everywhere to be found. good friends, relationships, sport. etc etc.
music can make you even more depressed.. and I love sad songs so..

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Re: Freedom committing suicide

Quote from Simpsons: "...The price of freedom is unwavering vigilance"

It's sad to see life wasted, sometimes in horrible ways. But if a person really wants to cark it, well, do we have the right to stop them?

One of the scenarios that inevitably happen is that the suicidal person gets pestered by peers, friends, family, not to give up their own life. That person trys to move on, lives a few more weeks, then one of two things happen:

1-they kill themselves anyway
2-they continue living

The other scenario is where the person keeps quiet, tells no one. There's virtually little chance for survival, up until the moment of truth: they're about to jump, somebody sees them, then persuades them to keep on living. Again, the outcome forks: life or death.

In either scenario, i prefer that the suicidal person be encouraged to keep on living. Failing that, it's entirely up to them. If they do ultimately commit suicide, i only ask of them this: please don't involve anyone else. Don't shoot yourself in a shopping centre, potentially mentally affecting hundreds of unsuspecting innocent people.

But even then, it is pretty much guarantees that your family will know and, thus, suffer.

Well, there is an alternate solution: Get them to watch Saw I and II. That might scared them from attempting suicide.

-P_D

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
It depends on the individual. Think about what they're losing, perhaps higher understanding and sparking ones imagination (through science and understanding the wonders of the universe) can make life seem interesting even in the most awful situations. (Because using anthropic psychology, even if the universe weren't made for humans, humans exist to be fascinated by the beautiful nature of the universe.)

Conclusion: Suicide? Why?? It's never 'really' worth it. Even pain is a miraculous feeling which should be cherished as much as Joy and Euphoria.

(There's alwasy exceptions though)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
wikiwiki said:
I believe everyone has the right to die by their own hand.
As long it is well planned and people being affected are notified, otherwise i dont think they have right to kill themselves.

Because you dont have right right and disrupt, and ruin other peoples lives.. Comittin suicide without telling anyone before is being selfish.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
HotShot said:
As long it is well planned and people being affected are notified, otherwise i dont think they have right to kill themselves.

Because you dont have right right and disrupt, and ruin other peoples lives.. Comittin suicide without telling anyone before is being selfish.
They would put you in a mental institutuion rather than let you kill yourself, people would try and prevent you etc. (also, less likely to do it afterwards.)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Comrade nathan said:
Have you ever been tortured?
Do youmknow what 'pain' really is? Philosophically it's a reminder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)