Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
middletons via email
deacons via phone
jones da rejection via email (they attached the rejection letter as a pdf - got my hopes up for a moment)
congrats for deacons and middletons

Middletons sounds heaps diff with their process through those breakfasts!
Haven't heard from deacons by phone. prob rejection :(
but haven't heard from jones day either

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
congrats for deacons and middletons

Middletons sounds heaps diff with their process through those breakfasts!
Haven't heard from deacons by phone. prob rejection :(
but haven't heard from jones day either
Jones Day's information night is on Monday so I think you're out of luck :(

goan_crazy

HSC
Jones Day's information night is on Monday so I think you're out of luck :(
oh damn
i couldn't make mon night anyway
got uni 5-8pm
Would've been nice to get the rejection email at least instead of them keeping me waiting haha
thanks for the heads up

Deacons are doing calls right now
friend just got one

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
just got back from ey assessment day. they called back 45 mins after the thing and offered me a position. pretty happy. at least now i have something to fall back on if the law clerkships dont work out

so far

interview from:
corrs
hdy
maddocks
kpmg

rejections from:
gadens
g+t

still waiting for hear from:
deacons
middletons
tresscox
dibbs
jws
holding redlich
mills oakley
pwc

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I haven't heard from:
*Deacons - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*DibbsBarker
*Maddocks - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*Thomson Playford Cutlers
*TressCox Lawyers
*Jones Day - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*NSW Attorney Generals Department - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*Holding Redlich
*Johnson Winter & Slattery
*Slater and Gordon
*Harmers
*Mills Oakley

So far I've got my Gadens interview this wed and I need to make it count, any tips?

Tabris

HSC
I think the clerkship guide has some excellent tips... maybe googling "common interview questions" or bheavioural questions......I am sure you encountered alot of them previously in other applications.

God forbit they give u a moral dilemma question......like dodgy workmates and dodgy instructions....

goan_crazy

HSC
I haven't heard from:
*Deacons - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*DibbsBarker
*Maddocks - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*Thomson Playford Cutlers
*TressCox Lawyers
*Jones Day - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*NSW Attorney Generals Department - but its likely to be a rejection because others have interviews
*Holding Redlich
*Johnson Winter & Slattery
*Slater and Gordon
*Harmers
*Mills Oakley

So far I've got my Gadens interview this wed and I need to make it count, any tips?
mel deacons didnt send out a rejection email. disappointing
Jones day is a rejection as their info evening is tonight i've been told
Thompson playford cutters apparently have already sent out invites for interviews
but ive only heard of 1 person i know who got one... :S

Good luck for gadens! when is it?

i had my deloitte group activity and info session today. We get contacted within 3 days if we make it to the 2nd round.

Got a rejection email from KPMG today

I'm really regretting not applying to EY :(

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
Just received Deacons rejection email. I'm tempted to send them an email back rejecting their rejection and informing them to expect me at work come Dec. :mad1:

HSC
N/A
Offers:
KPMG

Rejections:

Allens
Mallesons
Frehills
Clayton Utz
Blake Dawson
G+T
Baker & McKenzie
HDY
DLA Phillips Fox
Middletons
Deacons

Interviews:

Minter Ellison
Corrs
PwC (completed phone interview - waiting to hear about face to face interview)
EY
Deloitte - 2nd round partner interview

Still waiting on:
TressCox
Dibbs Barker
JWS

HSC
N/A
Which practice group did you apply to?

I got their assessment centre on Friday. How was yours? Heard the written task is kind of hard? Any tips?
I applied to tax. The written thing isn't hard but you need to manage your time & make sure you read all the material. There was crucial info on the back page and some people missed it.

The task I had requires you to fill in for your sick boss & email a proposal to a potential client (manufacturer of mobile phones & PDAs) and outline the services your firm could offer. They provide you with a bunch of info about the state of the tech company and also a list of services you offer.

It's basically making sure you can communicate effectively and analyse information to make a judgment/recommendation. So just identify the issues that the firm is facing (self explanatory on the info provided) and give a quick outline of how your firm can offer them solutions.

We were given 30mins. I spent 15mins reading, spent 5mins taking notes & did a rough outline for the structure of the email and then the last 10 writing the email.

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
I applied to tax. The written thing isn't hard but you need to manage your time & make sure you read all the material. There was crucial info on the back page and some people missed it.

The task I had requires you to fill in for your sick boss & email a proposal to a potential client (manufacturer of mobile phones & PDAs) and outline the services your firm could offer. They provide you with a bunch of info about the state of the tech company and also a list of services you offer.

It's basically making sure you can communicate effectively and analyse information to make a judgment/recommendation. So just identify the issues that the firm is facing (self explanatory on the info provided) and give a quick outline of how your firm can offer them solutions.

We were given 30mins. I spent 15mins reading, spent 5mins taking notes & did a rough outline for the structure of the email and then the last 10 writing the email.
cheers mate. thx for the heads up. you had 2 interviews right? how did those go?

i did the ey ac last friday. let me know if you'd like some info as well.

HSC
N/A
So far I've only had KPMG and the group thing for Deloitte. I've got EY on Thursday though. 9am-3:30pm seems slightly excessive.

How did they structure the day & what's the assessment like?

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
So far I've only had KPMG and the group thing for Deloitte. I've got EY on Thursday though. 9am-3:30pm seems slightly excessive.

How did they structure the day & what's the assessment like?
ey's ac is the longest of all the big4 i think. this is how it was structured for me:
1. half hr presentation
2. morning tea where you mingle and suck up to partners and managers, etc
3. one hr verbal/numerical test, half hr each, standard shl stuff
4. 45 mins interview with manager/senior manager
5. lunch
6. 45 min group assessment. for me it was group of 5 where you had to decide which 3 project to choose from a list of 9. half way through the thing, you get interupted and told you can now only choose 1. you have 10 mins at the end for a written component to summarise and explain your group's decision.
7. 45 mins interview with partner
8. 45 mins office tour with last yr's grads where they try to wow you with their "cool" office.

Hardenne

HSC
Wow these accounting firms really go through alot of effort in thier recruirtment process dont they, IB banks arent even that extensive. I also find it funny that we talking about accounting firms on a clerkship thread, I guess it sums up the current environment for law students and potential career prospects...(stupid deacons wtf do u want)

04er

HSC
For those who have been through KPMG, how intense/stressful is the assessment day (other than the writing exercise)?

Do you see other applicants there? I don't get what we'd be doing from 9am to 1.30pm :S

Last edited:

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
For those who have been through KPMG, how intense/stressful is the assessment day (other than the writing exercise)?

Do you see other applicants there? I don't get what we'd be doing from 9am to 1.30pm :S
Are you going to the AC this friday? What division are you applying for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)