Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

MochiGirl15

HSC
I didn't have problems with the commerce interviews (secured a few offers with the Big 4 and banks) but I heard that the law interviews are tougher, don't know if that's true though since they don't do the whole individual case study/presentation/group activity/psychometric testing that commerce firms tend to do.

I was quite surprised when I turned down the offer for the Big 4 firms that they were very friendly about it because I had a valid reason (wanting to get more experience in banking before deciding on my career as I have had prior experience in accounting/tax). One HR actually said that if I choose to apply for their grad position next year, I would be looked upon favourable because I had made it to the offer stage and gave a valid reason as to why I declined the offer. So for anyone else that is in the position of declining Big 4 offers, just make sure you have a valid reason (not that you decided the competing firm pays better or has nicer people) and they will be very accommodating!

I have this general idea from work experience but mainly from friends that business firms are more relaxed and friendly while law firms are more hierarchical in terms of respect for the more senior position and there's a less supportive team. Wonder how true that is?

Btw thx Mel for the tips! But for the banking interviews (especially for IB positions), they ask a lot of technical questions so I was lucky to be quite prepared! It's definitely not just all behavioural based or focused on the CV!

I hope Dibbs Barker is relaxed and somewhat more laid back than some of the larger firms! Oh and do they ask any technical questions or is it just purely behavioural (CV focused, etc)? I overheard in my lecture that somone got asked what s33 of the Conveyancing Act does in her interview! Now I definitely don't remember much abt what I studied a year ago!

Hardenne

HSC
Hi Mochagirl, congrats on all those offers etcc. I'm in similar position to u (with ib and law interviews). With regards to the culture difference between the two, I would have to say its comes down to the person which type of people you like, but like you, i think that the environment in banks (although not certain ones) are better than law firms which seem jst a tad pretentious at times.

With regards to the interview difficulty, finance is definitely harder, it's very very rare to find anyone asked technical questions at the interviews, its almost solely behavioral and competency based, which is quite easy to prepare for. But in any case, I think you should just go ib if u already hav offer.

lawstudent

HSC
When applying for law clerkships, do they ask you for your commerce marks as well? =O if yes, does failing accounting etc mean that the top 6 won't take you? lol

MochiGirl15

HSC
As far as I'm concerned, they don't care about the business marks, I actually asked HR from Bakers.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
When applying for law clerkships, do they ask you for your commerce marks as well? =O if yes, does failing accounting etc mean that the top 6 won't take you? lol
You usually have t put down all your marks, in interviews they seem to oly are about law marks BUT I don't know if they number crunch or consider them when sortlisting for interview!

lawstudent

HSC
Thank you for the replies.
So basically you get your combined WAM/GPA and not seperate ones for law and commerce/arts etc. damn =(

MochiGirl15

HSC
Are you one of the rare law students who actually have higher law marks than commerce marks? If so, well done! :tongue:

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I am in the same position too. My finance marks r lower than my law ones.
I usually put down my law wam and marks unless they asked for both.

lawstudent

HSC
hey mitsui you go to unsw right? i think im in the same year as you lol

jake1987

HSC
hey has anyone done an interview with blakes yet? were the questions they asked difficult, surprising etc?

Bit nervous for the interview! Help would be very much appreciated!

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
hey has anyone done an interview with blakes yet? were the questions they asked difficult, surprising etc?

Bit nervous for the interview! Help would be very much appreciated!
Nothing even remotely threatening. Just a chat to the partner and the member of HR (most likely Liz Henry)

Simpson Freak

HSC
Yeah, good to know, was losing hope. Sent off an email to all remaining firms to see if I have been rejected or not. (Funny, I sent the one to slater and gordon prior to the call so she emailed me back to confirm what was said, hope this doesnt look bad!)

Gadens - First Round interview - 26th Aug - should hear back re: second round after 7th Sept
Slater and Gordon - First Round Interview - 9th Sept
hey, my Slater interview is on the same day as yours

gluck...haha, im almost about to ask you to SMS me key questions just before you leave

and DLA today...god so freaked

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Slater & Gordon sent their rejection letter today
and omg they sent it to EVERYONE in the to area!
The HR lady also made typos in peoples emails too so not everyone will get the email!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Thats not such a big deal, at lot of firms didn't get back to me. I emailed them to find out some bothered and some didn't. At least they tried lol, they were pretty disorganised.

I am waiting to find out if I have a second interview for Gadens, waiting sucks especially when I am at uni I don't get reception in a lot of rooms! I am also trying to find the time to prepare for Slater and Gordon tomorrow as they didnt give me much warning

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Thats not such a big deal, at lot of firms didn't get back to me. I emailed them to find out some bothered and some didn't. At least they tried lol, they were pretty disorganised.

I am waiting to find out if I have a second interview for Gadens, waiting sucks especially when I am at uni I don't get reception in a lot of rooms! I am also trying to find the time to prepare for Slater and Gordon tomorrow as they didnt give me much warning
yeah they seem it lol

good luck for gadens- hope u get through :)

HDY tell us on thurs or friday

not sure when minters do, but i think minters is running all week

Mills oakley is the last firm to get back to us, but who know, they may have already got back to people and are not sending rejections?

good luck for Slater and Gordon 2moro :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)