goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
did anyone apply to Marque lawyers?
this is what you had to do
very different :)

Marque Lawyers said:
Hello second-last-year law student,

Marque Lawyers here. If you haven’t heard of us, your life probably feels a little empty of meaning but we can fix that.

The equation is simple enough. You want a summer clerkship (partly as a first step in your legal career but mostly for bragging rights on campus) and we want some entertainment over summer.

We only want one summer clerk. Avoids all that pathetic adolescent angst-driven rivalry between clerks, and we can focus our practical jokes on one target for a couple of months. And yet we are a proper law firm and the Marque Clerk will be doing proper legal work while recovering from our Christmas party. The dilemma for us is how to select the Marque Clerk, after all with only one clerk we don’t want a dud.

So, unbound as we here at Marque are by convention and good taste, we have decided to launch a competition and you’re invited to have a go. It’s quite simple – all you need to do is write something really exceptionally good, submit it then sit back and wait.

The rules:

1. You must submit by email a piece of your own (not your mother’s, and we have software that can tell the difference) original writing on the topic “Humanity in the nth degree�. Choose a subject like Kyle, Kim Jong Il, Dick Cheney or some other exemplar(s) of human behaviour taken to a logical extreme, and discuss whatever you like about it.

2. You must stop writing at 500 words because that’s when we’ll stop reading.

3. If you include the word “jazzy� in your piece without being too obvious about it, you get bonus points.

4. Send your email to hireme@marquelawyers.com.au by 7 September 2009.

5. We will read all entries unless there are too many in which case we won’t, but that seems unlikely.

6. We will select the 15 or so entries we liked the most, which will probably be because they were entertaining and well written and not because they were accompanied by promises of home-cooked food.

7. We will interview whoever wrote those pieces and, from that group, select our summer clerk.

Easy, really. Your one chance to use your creative talents to jump the queue of university medallists and score the most coveted legal role in Christendom, at the only law firm in the world brave enough to use the term “Spice Girls� on its website.

Bring it on.

Michael Bradley

Managing Partner

MARQUE Lawyers

Marque Lawyers

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
marquee's lawyers is the BEST place to work. partner who started it originally was originally the managing partner from either g+t or gadens i think.

apparently last year, they asked every interviewee to bring something to the interview to bribe them. one guy brought a goldfish. another (apparently) brought some special brownies.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
marquee's lawyers is the BEST place to work. partner who started it originally was originally the managing partner from either g+t or gadens i think.

apparently last year, they asked every interviewee to bring something to the interview to bribe them. one guy brought a goldfish. another (apparently) brought some special brownies.
special ;)

That sounds so funny, probably from Gadens coz they are pretty weird

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
haven't got confirmation of whether Marques have received it yet

how many ppl do u think wouldve bothered to apply out of interest?

yeah blackacre i heard that someone took a goldfish last year- i read that in the paper when waiting for my minters interview! lol
they called the guy back- not to offer him the job, but because they didnt want the fish to die or something lol

mel have u heard back from gadens?

HDY get back to us tomorrow...
hope its a call, and not an email!

NickiLee

HSC
haven't got confirmation of whether Marques have received it yet

how many ppl do u think wouldve bothered to apply out of interest?
I got an offer for an interview from Marques yesterday. It was so quick I figured
A) They're really fast readers
B) They culled quickly or
C) They received very few applications (admittedly this may be the most likely option...)

Who did you do your essay on? I have to admit, it was the most enjoyable application i've done so far.

04er

HSC
i don't know how you guys can handle so many rounds of interviews while juggling uni at the same time. They should seriously do the interviews in July.

HSC
N/A
Try not to! A clerkship is great but not getting one isn't career suicide. I think we all need to just chill out a bit.

04er

HSC
well that's definitely easier said than done... i remember not caring about clerkships at all before I applied.. and since then I have been constantly thinking about it -_- after all, the past 4 years have been leading up to this moment, and it's hard not to be disappointed with rejections after putting in a lot of effort over the years. Having said that, I'm glad I have an internship to fall back on.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I'm the opposite. I was so worked up about it during the application phase and pretty gutted when the rejections started coming in.

But I had a bit of an epiphany at the Corrs night. There was this guy sitting next to me and he was just completely socially retarded. He sat there for 4hrs giving these monosyllabic answers to the grad who was trying to strike up a conversation with him. At the end, when he was pressed for what interviews he had, he mumbled something about Allens, Malles, Freehills, Blakes blah blah blah.

All of a sudden the rejections didn't sting so much because I saw the type of douche that I was being passed over for. I just think we need to stop being so critical of ourselves. Take a bit of pride in the fact that we have jobs, play sport, go out etc.

04er

HSC
All of a sudden the rejections didn't sting so much because I saw the type of douche that I was being passed over for. I just think we need to stop being so critical of ourselves. Take a bit of pride in the fact that we have jobs, play sport, go out etc.
+1, completely agree with this.

LOL at that dude you referred to, wonder how he'll do in his interviews.

tofu

HSC
I'm the opposite. I was so worked up about it during the application phase and pretty gutted when the rejections started coming in.

But I had a bit of an epiphany at the Corrs night. There was this guy sitting next to me and he was just completely socially retarded. He sat there for 4hrs giving these monosyllabic answers to the grad who was trying to strike up a conversation with him. At the end, when he was pressed for what interviews he had, he mumbled something about Allens, Malles, Freehills, Blakes blah blah blah.

Well, you could just as easily be describing me except I didn't get interviews for those firms :p. I went to the Corrs evening, and I'm not normally that shy, but I definitely was on that evening. And yeah, it's likely a lot of my answers were monosyllabic!

I think you may have just been a little too quick to judge this person. It's not as if he was going out of his way to show off that he had interviews with those firms.

cynicallawfag

HSC
N/A
@424

But I had a bit of an epiphany at the Corrs night. There was this girl sitting next to me and she was just completely putting herself out. She sat there for 4hrs attempting to give the grad interviewing her a blowjob. At the end, when she was pressed for what skills she had, he mumbled something about giving sex to Allens, Freehills, blah blah.

All of a sudden the rejections didn't sting so much because I saw the type of douche that I was being passed over for. I just think we need to stop being so critical of ourselves. Take a bit of pride in the fact that we have self respect, dignity, values etc

LOOK I CAN MAKE PEOPLE LOOK BAD TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER TOO!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)