summer holidays study (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi guys the summer holidays are coming up real soon and I wanna make the most of them and really get ahead before term 2 of year 12. Any tips on how many hours I should be doing per day, how I should study or how to stay consistent? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

carrotsss

HSC
depends alot on what ur aiming for but no matter what I’d recommend at least id taking a few weeks to chill out. in terms of how to study unless ur pretty weak with last terms topics I’d say try learn ahead using yt or similar, others might disagree though. it doesn’t take as long as u probably think to self learn if you do it right

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
i used the summer holidays to write notes (i only wrote notes for one subject), and yea i studied a lot of the previous term content such as my weak stuff. I also used to write essays and send to my teachers for feedback so yea that actually helped a lot. I also did a lot of past papers (for math only coz we were finished with the content), so i guess u could find tests on specific topics and use them

HSC
depends alot on what ur aiming for but no matter what I’d recommend at least id taking a few weeks to chill out. in terms of how to study unless ur pretty weak with last terms topics I’d say try learn ahead using yt or similar, others might disagree though. it doesn’t take as long as u probably think to self learn if you do it right
oooo I see okay thanks so much!! I’ll probably try learn ahead for my content-heavy subjects

HSC
i used the summer holidays to write notes (i only wrote notes for one subject), and yea i studied a lot of the previous term content such as my weak stuff. I also used to write essays and send to my teachers for feedback so yea that actually helped a lot. I also did a lot of past papers (for math only coz we were finished with the content), so i guess u could find tests on specific topics and use them
damnnn essay writing 😭😭
you finished the maths content in a term?!!! damn we literally had year 11 content in our year 12 exams this term

stevie444

HSC
In my opinion you don't need to be whipping yourself the entire holiday, and instead focus on being very efficient with your time. Taking at least a few weeks to chill out/do zero schoolwork I think is a must, and this should probably be what you do in December. After this, make sure you just have solid notes/understanding on the previous term's content and focus on consolidating that as well as maybe during the last week or 2 of January going ahead to prep for the next term- especially for maths (just follow the textbook and email your teacher if you need any serious help) as well as some pure memorisation subjects like geography this is doable.

These holidays are enormous, so make sure you find heaps of time to do non-school things - for example I was working almost full-time for 4 weeks in December and early January as part of a work experience and still had plenty of time to relax and did enough schoolwork in the last 2 weeks that I felt comfortable which meant up to date quality notes for all subjects, and going ahead roughly a term on mx2 and mx1 to allow for continual practice. This ended up being 2 hours a day for roughly 2 weeks, which still left enough time each day to enjoy myself and have a life.

HSC
In my opinion you don't need to be whipping yourself the entire holiday, and instead focus on being very efficient with your time. Taking at least a few weeks to chill out/do zero schoolwork I think is a must, and this should probably be what you do in December. After this, make sure you just have solid notes/understanding on the previous term's content and focus on consolidating that as well as maybe during the last week or 2 of January going ahead to prep for the next term- especially for maths (just follow the textbook and email your teacher if you need any serious help) as well as some pure memorisation subjects like geography this is doable.

These holidays are enormous, so make sure you find heaps of time to do non-school things - for example I was working almost full-time for 4 weeks in December and early January as part of a work experience and still had plenty of time to relax and did enough schoolwork in the last 2 weeks that I felt comfortable which meant up to date quality notes for all subjects, and going ahead roughly a term on mx2 and mx1 to allow for continual practice. This ended up being 2 hours a day for roughly 2 weeks, which still left enough time each day to enjoy myself and have a life.
woahhhh THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE FULL RUNDOWN will def take this advice 👍👍👍

could I ask where you found your work experience and what industry/field you did it for?

stevie444

HSC
woahhhh THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE FULL RUNDOWN will def take this advice 👍👍👍

could I ask where you found your work experience and what industry/field you did it for?
Happy to help, I remember being uncertain myself this time last year as everyone always lies about how much study they do

did it in fin/fin services, got it by spam emailing and linkedining (not sure if that is a word) and getting extremely lucky that one of them bothered to even read the resume - even though I did have a crazy good resume for a year 12 student it's always an uphill battle unless you have nepotism (I did not) and chances are always slim but no reason not to try, just make sure to target small to mid firms ( goldman sachs will not give a damn about a high school student) . Not gonna give away my identity by telling you where specifically, but can say it was definitely worthwhile, a better use of time than studying during that time. If you cant get any dont worry, most people dont but getting some sort of employment is always a good thing

HSC
Happy to help, I remember being uncertain myself this time last year as everyone always lies about how much study they do

did it in fin/fin services, got it by spam emailing and linkedining (not sure if that is a word) and getting extremely lucky that one of them bothered to even read the resume - even though I did have a crazy good resume for a year 12 student it's always an uphill battle unless you have nepotism (I did not) and chances are always slim but no reason not to try, just make sure to target small to mid firms ( goldman sachs will not give a damn about a high school student) . Not gonna give away my identity by telling you where specifically, but can say it was definitely worthwhile, a better use of time than studying during that time. If you cant get any dont worry, most people dont but getting some sort of employment is always a good thing
oooo okay I'll try and look for some in the field that I want to go into (STEM but engineering/science/med specifically) !! thanks again for your advice :))

stevie444

HSC
oooo okay I'll try and look for some in the field that I want to go into (STEM but engineering/science/med specifically) !! thanks again for your advice :))
not really familiar with how possible it is for engineering good luck though, my advice would be to start networking ASAP if you seriously plan to do this, otherwise you'll run out of time

victor_yan

HSC
Mindset:
The first thing is if your mindset is already wishing to get ahead, that is a solid foundation. The reality is 6 weeks is a massive period of time to strengthen weaknesses and reflect on year 11 and year 12 task 1. Most of your peers will relax during this time. It will be a strong competitive advantage. Though balance is key to avoiding burnout. I used to believe burnout was a ‘fake cop out’ excuse for the undisciplined students - this is a grave misconception.

Holidays Plan: 20 Dec - 31 Jan

20th - 1st: Depends how motivated you are, but it is usually good to give yourself this time off to relax. If you are bit more motivated (like I was), you can study in some of the days here, but make sure you give yourself the key dates 24th, 25th, 31st, to enjoy yourself and spend some time with friends and family. It will pay off. I like to use this time especially to do mood boosting activities (For me this is gym, basketball, beach visits etc). In your down time, reflection is super underrated. There is a long year ahead. I suggest really spending your time reflecting on your study systems last year - (Did I spend enough time doing past papers, if at all? Did I have a means of receiving feedback and improving, if at all for humanitarian subjects?; Did the time I spent writing detailed long reading notes actually convert to marks in maths and science subjects). Purpose reflection is so underrated and is vital to prevent burn out. What is your why? (do you have a course you want to get into, or is it just keeping your options open, or is it a pride thing - that is totally fine; mine was the latter two - just feeling a sense of accomplishment with working hard toward something and seeing my efforts pay off)

1st-31st: Grind time: Approach.
  • Focus harder subjects which require application practice - 3U Maths, Physics, Economics (maybe). From experience, don’t try get ahead in all subjects - you feel you get no progress done. Legal studies though content heavy is heavily rote learning so no need to get ahead whereas maths and physics are super important to start early. If you want, you can read your english texts in your spare time (if you’re super motivated. Or just spark notes the plot)
  • Don’t go too fast where you just learn the content without practice. Don’t go too slow where you over practice (you will have school). Following tutoring pace will be good.
  • Do couple of syllabus dot points a day. Learn the new content. Apply the knowledge with textbook questions, then once that is fine, scan couple past papers to do exam styled questions. Write quick brief notes consolidating your knowledge on question types and how to answer the questions. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE NOT WRITING EXCESSIVE/TIMELY NOTES DURING THE LEARNING NEW CONTENT PHASE. This will heavily drain you, and make you feel like no progress was done in holidays. (Find a good set of notes online and use them for physics. For maths use textbook notes and worked solutions to learn.) Only write notes after you have applied, not during learning stage - otherwise you will write down everything even unimportant stuff.
  • All the holidays is for is making sure you know how to do it not memorise. You will focus on memorisation once you relearn at school. Now is just so when school teaches, you can remember how to do it as you are learning second time.
  • Other than that, make sure you spend time doing activities you enjoy - maintaining physical and mental wellbeing. Spending 2 - 5 hours a day (depending on your motivation level and goals) is sufficient and leaves plenty of time for other aspects of life.

Sproutify
If these tips resonated with you, you’ll find @_sproutify_ on instagram and tiktok super helpful too.

My name is Victor Yan and I graduated 2022 with an ATAR of 99.80. I currently study Law/Computer Science at UNSW. I wasn’t the most naturally gifted student, but I would say I was always an extremely hard working student, ramping it up from year 10. Though at times I studied ‘hard’ not ‘smart.’ Throughout my first year of uni, it became prominent that a well rounded character will best position you to success in your career and life in general. Yet after my year of private tutoring experience, I had realised that most students didn’t understand macro-learning - learning how to learn: the systems required to ensure efficiency and maintain a work life balance. Which is why, I wish to share all the knowledge, experiences and mistakes I have accumulated with high school students. My vision is currently to post infographics and soon start a free email newsletter sharing HSC tips and systems to help students sproutify. Stay tuned for more🌿

If you would like to reach out, I’d be more than happy to assist with any enquiries. You can DM me on Instagram @_sproutify_ or my personal instagram @_victor_yan_.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)