Summer Holidays (1 Viewer)

Cinnamon Brioche

HSC
N/A
Hi!

How do you think one should spend their year 12 summer holidays? How much study is too much? I have a lot to do these holidays but I don't want to burn out next term.

Also, I would really appreciate it if anybody could provide any time efficient ways to study for the following subjects: 4u maths, 3u English, chemistry, biology

Thanks, and happy holidays everyone!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
My summer holidays last year were spent studying and having fun. I went overseas for half of it, and caught up with any work during the other half. It really depends on what you personally need to get done, e.g. catch up on homework, make study notes, etc.

3/4U maths:
- understand all the content you have just learnt, and learn ahead if possible by doing exercises from Cambridge, etc.

2/3U English:
- prepare for any upcoming assessments
- read your texts in advance and hopefully do a bit of research to get ideas, concepts, etc consolidated
- study the rubric

TBH it is really dependent on you as a student and what you want to accomplish :) Good luck for 2015!

swagmeister

HSC
Prepare as if you have exams covering all the work you have done so far in the first week back. For subjects other then math and english its mainly about notes :)

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Good advice by rumbleroar. :D

As for chemistry and biology, you should consolidate what you learnt from first term (i.e. Production of Materials and Maintaining a Balance for their respective subjects). Thereafter, you can create syllabus dot point notes pertaining to the verb; if it's explain, state cause and effect, if it's assess, you make a judgement - then you should memorise your notes. Once you've completed that, if you're really keen, do practice Q's from past papers with consideration of the marking guidelines (because HSC Science marking is stringent :haha: )

But really, the bolded is what you must do to ensure you're on top for the half-yearlies.

Best of luck!

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
if u do ext history get ur major work out of the way ASAP, otherwise just relax

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Below is an extract from my senior study guide which may assist you. For the full guide, feel free to visit: http://community.boredofstudies.org...how-excel-senior-year-studies-yr-11-12-a.html

My top tips in having ENJOYABLE AND PRODUCTIVE school holidays in Year 11 and Year 12:

You will be hearing this advice time and time again, and that is, it is not about the quantity of the hours you study, but the quality of your study time-so how much you have understand/learnt from each studying session. The number of hours you study in the upcoming summer holidays will depend on three main factors:

1)whether you are going overseas/travel, and if so, for how long and any other possible tutoring/extracurricular/casual work you may be engaging in over the holidays

2)The main goal of your study during the holidays-whether it is to catch up on content/to revise on content learnt/to learn content ahead of class-although you may well be doing more than one of these at once, just consider one which is your main purpose-and consider how much time you are willing to devote/think will need to be devoted to achieve that purpose-based on your own study efficiency and methods

3)Whether you intend to focus on all of your subjects in the holidays or are intending to focus on only a few

You should strive to achieve the following objectives in your holidays:

1)RELAX:To truly relax after a tiring school term-you should go out with your friends-particularly over the summer holidays where you have a longer period of rest, leave 2-3 days a week to relaxation and fun-do things you enjoy, it is very important to re-energise and re-vitalise yourself so that you are highly motivated for next term, as well as following a consistent study routine because a healthy body will mean a higher capacity to cope with the stresses of senior years-(making sure you have good physical and psychological health is a vital key to achieving your PERSONAL BEST)

2)EVALUATE:To evaluate over your previous term's performance and establish short term and long term goals and strategies on how you could improve, establish more efficient/effective study habits-experiment with new study methods and routine, organize your room/study file/study schedule if you haven't done so-and enforcing regular self-discipline and independent learning in your study.

3)REVISE:To revise over all content learnt(because they will be examined in trials at the end of the year-not just in end of term assessment tasks, so more regular revision is better than revising the whole year's worth of content at the end of the year) and learn new content-preferably at least one term ahead of the school, but make sure you do questions/practice essays/creative to be able to utilise both past and new content effectively-highlight any parts you don't understand to ask the teacher during next term

4)PREPARE:To finish exam preparations for assessments that are established early next term, i.e. perhaps your half-yearlies for English, and to finish assignments due early next term as well as any homework allocated by your teachers.

colinrocks95

HSC
Feeling like you're on top of all the Term 1 topics is really key, as then you can focus 100% on mastering the new topics next term.

HSC summer lectures are really popular as well. I've been to Sci School, which is great for maths, chem + phys. It really improved my class rankings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)