Summer Internships (1 Viewer)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
impressive man

never seen anyone with such achievements!

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Excellent :) Well seems like you have a good future ahead of you. Keep up the great work!

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank You.

In all honesty, academic achievements aside, I simply followed my friend's advice about job-hunting. Nothing magical, but it seems to have paid off.

I would say there're a few people out there with great qualifications... you meet a lot of them at IB interviews. But I must concede I'm a fair bit off from two contemporaries that I've heard about.

turtleface

HSC
tsk tsk...where are the accounting firms in that list?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
tsk tsk...where are the accounting firms in that list?
I can think of a very genuine response, which is true to the very last inch... their interns close in july/august.

I wonder why they don't go earlier to compete for candidates...

ND

HSC
Omnidragon said:
I can think of a very genuine response, which is true to the very last inch... their interns close in july/august.

I wonder why they don't go earlier to compete for candidates...
Maybe because if they did, most of the people that receive big4 offers would reject them in favour of IB (as alot of people probably would apply for big4 as a back up).

You guys really start early in Melb - all of the IB internships here close late July.

nufc-26

HSC
im thinking of applying for summer internships for some Big4 firms.
do u guys know what divisions to apply for if youre an accounting major?
is auditing and assurance the only one applicable or can i also apply for something like taxation?
thanks

turtleface

HSC
um I think generally all...I can't think of any where you would be excluded...other than possibly Real Estate Advisory in Corporate Finance and Non Financial and Non Performance Management Areas of Deloitte Consulting

I only know about KPMG where an Accounting major is eligible for almost every division, however not every division takes vacationers, only Audit, Tax, Middle Market Advisory (audit, tax and superannuation), and sometimes Corporate Finance (Transaction Advisory Services etc.) and very occasionally HR and Marketing.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
ND said:
Maybe because if they did, most of the people that receive big4 offers would reject them in favour of IB (as alot of people probably would apply for big4 as a back up).

You guys really start early in Melb - all of the IB internships here close late July.
Though tempting, some people might take up big 4 (e.g. turtleface).

That aside, at least they can be in the running, like in Sydney. Melb ppl are advantaged because if they miss out Melb they can apply for Syd if they're that keen.

Anyway... was it you who mentioned MC? It's something on my agenda: working towards it atm. No internships from my understanding, so a risky punt if IBs offer a grad role after summer.

turtleface

HSC
whats mc?

the two things that worry me about Ibing is that 1. I don't think my eyes can take staring at a computer for 10 hours in a row and 2. if M&A activity dies down like a few years ago, I've heard of redundancies of up to 40%. thats what scares me. Having said that, If I go to Accounting only to get retrenched I'll think back to this post and think !$^$#^#$!!#%#!!% and will have to eat humble pie

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
management consulting... but I think he's referring to a few select firms including Booz, McKinsey and BCG.

Without going into details of things I've been told, I don't want to be presuming about IB or anything else before I've had a closer, first-hand look at the industry.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ND said:
LOL I thought that too for why mid-tier firms seem to conduct recruitment/interviews and make offers after Big4.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
woah... i congrulate you on your 99.95 achievement, magnifcent effort!!

Are your interns in Melbourne? :S becoz I never heard of UBS in Melbourne :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
However his no.1 important thing was marks. So he said, any single degree person with higher marks than people with double degrees would get the job (ceteris paribus), according to him.
I've heard alot of companies/firms say that marks aren't everything- sure they provide a good indicator of your ability to learn new things and complete further studies; but there is more to a person than their academic marks.

turtleface

HSC
Yeah I've heard Accounting firms especially say that a lot. Personally I think its just to give them an excuse to recruit a wide variety of people, some technical whizs, some nerds/hard workers, some charismatic ppl to be the rainmakers etc. and I think thats why they say that, though I'm only guessing.

I think that attitude (as Omnidragon said a while back) deters people with good knowledge and skills because it appears that mediocrity is acceptable, so I think its a bad public attitude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)