Summer School '07 (1 Viewer)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Does anyone know when subject lists come out for summer school 2007? Is anyone thinking of doing summer school? lol

I'm hoping that a 3rd year English subject will go up, so I can take it...that way I have a smaller load next year. They don't offer much which really shits me!

Adam

HSC
Unless you're rich and from the North Shore, and don't enjoy having a worry-free holiday - summer school is absolutely useless.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Can i do summer school at sydney and credit it towards my unsw degree?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
wouldn't u want to do summer school at unsw?

Adam said:
Unless you're rich and from the North Shore, and don't enjoy having a worry-free holiday - summer school is absolutely useless.
Not necessarily. 3.5 months is a long time to have off. I went insane last time. I need to keep my mind busy. If i do a subject in summer school, then it takes off my load when i have to be doing 4 psychology subjects plus prac teaching during each semester of years 4 and 5. Sure it costs a heap...i'm not rich, i'm just willing to do it

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
They don't offer many subjects, (or more importantly, ones I want).

Skeeta

HSC
i had to do summer school last year (failed subject) and it was alot better than uni to be honest. hated forking over 1500 for it, BUT it was a realy good learning environment

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
sikeveo said:
They don't offer many subjects, (or more importantly, ones I want).
It appears that usyd don't offer much either. I know someone doing subjects from usyd and MQ and they all contribute to his degree.

Skeeta said:
i had to do summer school last year (failed subject) and it was alot better than uni to be honest. hated forking over 1500 for it, BUT it was a realy good learning environment
wat sort of people do it? is it mainly post-grads?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
wouldn't u want to do summer school at unsw?

Not necessarily. 3.5 months is a long time to have off. I went insane last time. I need to keep my mind busy. If i do a subject in summer school, then it takes off my load when i have to be doing 4 psychology subjects plus prac teaching during each semester of years 4 and 5. Sure it costs a heap...i'm not rich, i'm just willing to do it
How much does it cost, and can you add it to HECS (or whatever that thing is now), or do you have to pay up front?

Olsen

Hates cold mornings..
HSC
It's full fees only.

U can use HECS during the offical uni semesters.

And teh cost depends on what unit u are doing...check out their website.

Skeeta

HSC
grk_styl said:
wat sort of people do it? is it mainly post-grads?
it was about 10-15 people who had failed the course (there was a HUGE fail rate) and about 10 people who needed the subject to do their masters

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Costs are usually between $1500 - $2000, depending on the subject. Though most of the Arts subjects I've seen have been $1900 and $2000, which is crap considering some uni's like MQ have summer school costs that don't exceed $1500!

Skeeta said:
it was about 10-15 people who had failed the course (there was a HUGE fail rate) and about 10 people who needed the subject to do their masters
ohh that's really cosy!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
grk_styl said:
It appears that usyd don't offer much either. I know someone doing subjects from usyd and MQ and they all contribute to his degree.
omg, someone like me! Is he a boser? Tri-uni represent!

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Qs about summer school

1) is it worth it?
2) Hows the work load?
3) i still dont understand the fee-help thingy? My interpretation of it, is that its exactly the same as HECS, right?

Skeeta

HSC
1) is it worth it?

It is worth it if you dont want to be held back in your degree, and are willing to part with a large amount of money. I am glad i did summer school because it wont hold me back, BUT it depends how much you value money

2) Hows the work load?

The work load (for me) was less than a normal uni semester. It was about 3 hours a day, for three days a week. Which works out well if you plan to work full/part time during your break. it keeps you from being bored shitless. It depends on the subject however.. but the workload generally isnt too bad

3) i still dont understand the fee-help thingy? My interpretation of it, is that its exactly the same as HECS, right?

No it is not the same as HECS. HECS is subsidised by the government (which is why it is A LOT cheaper than full fee paying). Summer school IS full fee paying.. however there is fee help which allows you to defer paying the costs/pay it off much in the same way that HECS does.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Where can I apply for this fee help? I'm actually thinking more of Winter School though.

Skeeta

HSC
its a big drama trying to get it...

the summer school phone line is... NEVER open

(if you're on main campus it shouldnt be so hard to get in contact with them)

FEE help IS available, (no matter what anyone tells you) but most of my class ended up paying upfront because there is so many conflicting stories about it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
EATAPIE said:
Qs about summer school

1) is it worth it?
2) Hows the work load?
1) no.
2) manageable as youre only doing 1 sub.
3) it's like HECS but waaaay more expensive when you pay it off.

furthermore, the ad in your sig is horrible. it told me mercedes > bmw, as what car manufacturer does bmw use to deliver their own cars? mercedes? as only mercedes can be trusted with the cars.
lol bmw has had a bad run with their creative agencies (the milk/tobasco campaign comes to mind)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Has anyone managed to do 2 subjects in summer school?
what was it like?
did you perform better or worse than you would in a normal semester?
how different is it?
approxmately how many people are in 1 class? (on average)
(I know I can see the # of people accepted per class on the summer school site but they might allow MORE than that if the demand is too high/too many people signed up for it and are on the waiting list)
How is the quality of teaching?

Skeeta

HSC
Has anyone managed to do 2 subjects in summer school?
what was it like?
yes (not me)
did you perform better or worse than you would in a normal semester?
better (you are only doing 1-2 subjects instead of 4-8)
how different is it?
exactly the same (course) but less people and more interactive
approxmately how many people are in 1 class? (on average)
Tutorial size 20-30
How is the quality of teaching?
Same lecturer in my case but you get more 1 on one time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)