Summer school 2009 (1 Viewer)

BoganBoy

HSC
Anyone attending summer school this year?

ill be doing econ201. should be good fun. basically doing it because i gotta do sum catch up after a degree change. anyone else doing summer?

bb

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Nah, it's too expensive and I whether I do or not, my degree is gonna be 4 years lol, assuming I get through everything from this point onwards.

ECON201 is a pretty good sub; my favourite ECON sub that I've done and it's not hard either. :)

BoganBoy

HSC
hey boxxhead how did u find it? crammable subject?

got quite a few acst friends doing it last summer. some did really well while others had Ps, so they did it again last sem. 1 month of hardcore cramming here i come.

bb

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
I got a D for it and thought it was an easy sub. I think it's definitely crammable, but everybody's different.

To be honest, I thought it was no harder than ECON110. There are a few topics that will need a bit of time, but most of it is very easy for the average actuary.

Mathmatics85

HSC
I'm an finance/accounting student but thinking about ditching ECON200 to do ECON201 instead. Back in my first year I enjoyed ECON110 way more than I did 111, i.e microeconomics.

I had a good look at the unit outline of each units, 200 and 201, and 200 seems to have crapload of mini topics just like ECON111 did, whereas 201 had less number of topics..I'm not sure how in detail ECON201 will dig into though. Also I heard the final exam for ECON201 is really hard...

hell I don't know. enrolment starts only in 10 days and I'm still not sure whether I should do ECON201 instead....

Last edited:

peter2

Banned
HSC
Hey,

Where did you get the 2009 unit outlines? I am still planning on whether to do ECON200 or 201. But I had checked throughout the forums and people are saying that 200 is easier. So I might then choose that. Anyways BoxHead, I am the guy that had emailed you regarding the ECON111 supplementary exam. Just want to say Thanks alot man for all your help and that your a top guy.
Cheers

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Apparently ECON200 is easier, must be the lack of Actuaries in it :p.

ECON201 goes into a fair bit of depth, but only uses a few models. They reuse their models a lot in different ways, or with different additions, eg something that might happen in a closed economy changes when exports and imports are allowed so a particular model used might have to be treated differently in order to cater for this.

From my experiences, if you liked ECON110, then you'll probably like ECON201, since not only is ECON201 more interesting, but it builds on ECON110 stuff and adds new stuff on top of it.

Also, no worries peter2, glad to help :D.

BoganBoy

HSC
peter2 said:
Hey,

Where did you get the 2009 unit outlines? I am still planning on whether to do ECON200 or 201. But I had checked throughout the forums and people are saying that 200 is easier. So I might then choose that. Anyways BoxHead, I am the guy that had emailed you regarding the ECON111 supplementary exam. Just want to say Thanks alot man for all your help and that your a top guy.
Cheers

Hey peter2 here's a link to 2008 unit outlines

2008 Unit Outlines - Division of Economic and Financial Studies

it should be very similar if not exactly the same as 2009.

Im econ major so i gotta do both. but i heard econ200 is much easier as the final exam always have the same type of questions. so its abit like hsc style rote learn, of which i excel at.

atreus

HSC
i did ECON201 last semester and agree with boxxxhead. i didnt read the textbook and managed a D. i found that even though some of the content throughout semester was complex, the exam never asked for that much detail. even though it looks like there are heaps of topics, most of them are just introducing concepts that eventually combine into the one model.

on the other hand i heard from a few ppl that ECON200 was poorly taught and was one of the worst subjects they'd done. don't know if it had something to do with the LIC or if they just didn't like micro.

peter2

Banned
HSC
Hey, thanks for that bogan. Appreciate it. Thanks boxxhead appreciate your input. I am also doing ACCG253 this semester. What do you guys think of that subject? Any input would be great.

peter2

Banned
HSC
Boxxxhead said:
Apparently ECON200 is easier, must be the lack of Actuaries in it :p.

ECON201 goes into a fair bit of depth, but only uses a few models. They reuse their models a lot in different ways, or with different additions, eg something that might happen in a closed economy changes when exports and imports are allowed so a particular model used might have to be treated differently in order to cater for this.

From my experiences, if you liked ECON110, then you'll probably like ECON201, since not only is ECON201 more interesting, but it builds on ECON110 stuff and adds new stuff on top of it.

Also, no worries peter2, glad to help :D.
BTW what did you mean must be the lack of Actuaries in it? Is that related to the stupid SNG and that everyone is ranked or something else?

Mathmatics85

HSC
Sorry for a random message, but I've applied for a course transfer about a month ago, but on estudent it still shows my old degree. Just when is my degree going to change?

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
peter2 said:
Hey, thanks for that bogan. Appreciate it. Thanks boxxhead appreciate your input. I am also doing ACCG253 this semester. What do you guys think of that subject? Any input would be great.
One of the trickier subs you'll encounter, it apparently has a 35% fail rate. In essence it's a fairly easy sub, but when I did it, the lecturing was atrocious and I felt the course was generally disorganised. It's one of the subs that would probably be easy if it were run with any kind of organisation. I got a Credit in it, it was the exam I left 2/3 of the way through coz of my collapsed lung ;).

peter2 said:
BTW what did you mean must be the lack of Actuaries in it? Is that related to the stupid SNG and that everyone is ranked or something else?
Well at the end of the day, subjects generally have to cater to the quality of the students in them, so there's probably a slight impact in the difficulty of ECON201 to cater to the presence of Actuaries.

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Mathmatics85 said:
Sorry for a random message, but I've applied for a course transfer about a month ago, but on estudent it still shows my old degree. Just when is my degree going to change?
It shouldn't be long at all. Mine changed around this time when I changed from a single to a double.

BoganBoy

HSC
i think the fact that 'actuarial' subjects are harder is because of the bell curve. Only a certain percentage of people are allowed to obtain HD and Ds, and if you are competing against hardworking asians and jews then they sortta 'take your spot'.

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
Lol where did the comment about Jewish people come from? I did ECON201 last year and it was pretty easy especially how in the last few weeks Alex Blair gave those handouts summarizing each section with diagrams of the models, etc. As for ACCG253, if you like finance it shouldn't be a problem (especially with the 6 sides of your cheat sheet, sorry that was a Toomas joke).

Mathmatics85

HSC
If I drop a summer unit now, will it be marked as a W on my transcript? because the deadline is today, i'm confused as to how it will be processed if I drop a unit on the day of the deadline.

BoganBoy

HSC
i dont think they have a 'withdrawal' option. you either enrol, withdraw as if you never enrolled, or withdraw and fail.

2nd of jan is the last day to withdraw without financial penality. 9th of jan is the last day you can withdraw without a 'fail' on ur transcript. you better decide fast.

taz2006

HSC
N/A
anyone doing busl350 or phil 137? i missed my first class at busl350 :( care to help out? like if you got an online outline it ud b much appreciated! or any comments on the first class and where to start off anything!!

Monstar

HSC
253 was pretty enjoyable cant really comment on any other stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)