Summer school (1 Viewer)

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
hey there
does anyone know which subject (in the bcommerce-accg perspective) is good to take during the summer school period?

i heard business law is, but i was thinking of doing macroeconomics, but since with the amount of people saying that its hard, i'm not sure if its actually achievable to cram that subject whilst doing full time work

thanks

Jennie.

HSC
N/A
It depends on wot u hav done so far?
which sem r u in?

havy

HSC
in my opinion, almost all 100lvl units are crammable - you'll realize that once you get to 2nd or 3rd yr.

I'd say that its only worth doing summer course if you hav failed a unit or want to accelerate your way out of uni. it will be better to do 300lvl units such as busl320 and accg340, because it is significantly easier to pass the same unit in summer course, compared to normal semesters. and most summer course units are modified so that they dont require the usual pre-reqs.

cassidylx

HSC
N/A
havy said:
it will be better to do 300lvl units such as busl320 and accg340, because it is significantly easier to pass the same unit in summer course, compared to normal semesters.
Is there ACCG340 in summer school?

BoganBoy

HSC
in case u didnt know, summer course is not covered by HECs so u gotta fork out at least $1500 depends on the subs taken. full time work + cramming? thats kinda hard, full time cramming probably doable.

havy

HSC
cassidylx said:
Is there ACCG340 in summer school?
it changes all the time, last yr it wasn't there, but the yr b4 it was. so best to check it out on the summer course website.

sja

dingleberry
HSC
Macroeconomics, i.e. ECON110, is not crammable.

The problem with the course is that they go extremely fast from the start. They don't get you to understand anything about the economy or global level thinking.

In fact, they only tell you what students need to do in the exam only AFTER you've failed it (I didn't fail it by the way). For example, there are certain things about graphs that are needed to be explained. The textbook doesn't mention these things the way the course-runners like it to.

The text book is very big and every page is end-on-end with VERY detailed information.

From week 1, you are introduced not only to TWO sector, but THREE sector and FOUR sector models. You have to learn all these equations after week 2.

The problem with Macquarie is that there was a very illegal bribe which occurred. The head master of economics was bribed by international students so that they could run macroeconomics in first semester instead of the usual second semester (first semester used to be Microeconomics, the BETTER economics). Anyway for legal reasons this is still under investigation by the FBI.

The most ridiculous thing Macquarie has ever done was probably run Microeconomics in the SECOND semester. If you go through micro you'll realise it's a TRUE introduction to Economics, and its way of thinking - and how the world operates.

Macroeconomics teaches you sh*t-all. If you don't start from week 1 then you've lost it. Everything builds upon itself. There are LOTS of equations to learn in it.

The massive asian nerds that study the course and exceed in it have no life. So if you don't have much of a life then you should consider doing it during the semester. If not, I highly suggest you do it in summer as a single course.

yehriteo

drop out
HSC
I found ECON110 much easier than ECON111. There were about 5 sets of graphs to learn and I just had to show how they changed with individual changes within the equations of the lines of the graphs. And then you could memorize chain of causation for them.

FBI?

Kabeio

k.
HSC
sja said:
Macroeconomics, i.e. ECON110, is not crammable.

Macroeconomics teaches you sh*t-all. If you don't start from week 1 then you've lost it. Everything builds upon itself. There are LOTS of equations to learn in it.

The massive asian nerds that study the course and exceed in it have no life. So if you don't have much of a life then you should consider doing it during the semester. If not, I highly suggest you do it in summer as a single course.
More like suggest do it during the semester as u get a lot more than 4 weeks or something to do the course and your more likely to be distracted with social stuff over summer.

HSC
yehriteo said:
I found ECON110 much easier than ECON111. There were about 5 sets of graphs to learn and I just had to show how they changed with individual changes within the equations of the lines of the graphs. And then you could memorize chain of causation for them.

FBI?
Totally agree. And I believe the average mark for ECON110 is alot higher than ECON111 as well!

For me, ECON110 revolves around only a few concepts and equations and you can definately pass or get a very good mark. And the workshop was useful, the lecturer taught us under the lecture notes which is so similar to the textbook.

While almost every topic in ECON111 seems new and different (well later I found it they were quite similar, but still haha) and my lecturer was better at explaining but he didn't go with the lecture notes! Some of the concepts taught by him wasn't in the lectures notes, some graphs in the labour market taught by him was so different from the graphs in the book.

Also it wasnt until the final exams, I found out the other lecturer taught his students only 2 graphs of externalities while our lecturer taught us 4. It was really doing my head in as I suddenly got confused at which graph i should use and how to explain it.

So yeh. If you did Economics for your HSC, I'd definately recommand ECON110. If not, maybe check out Macroeconomics book and see if you can handle it. I really hope you'd enjoy it as much as I did (haha.. not really, I was just so happy it was a little bit similar to HSC economics..)

sja

dingleberry
HSC
havy said:
in my opinion, almost all 100lvl units are crammable - you'll realize that once you get to 2nd or 3rd yr.

I'd say that its only worth doing summer course if you hav failed a unit or want to accelerate your way out of uni. it will be better to do 300lvl units such as busl320 and accg340, because it is significantly easier to pass the same unit in summer course, compared to normal semesters. and most summer course units are modified so that they dont require the usual pre-reqs.

You need to stuff up in your first semester or first year at university so that you truely understand how to properly learn and study at university.

:D COrrect !

sja

dingleberry
HSC
MoonLiteDreamz Also it wasnt until the final exams said:
Hey buddy!

They don't expect you to learn more than 2 graphs for externalities.

There are many other market failures (being the '3rd' one) that you could have discussed.

For example, did you know that Monopoly's are an example of markets failing? Thats one graph you could have drawn in and explained with logical reasoning and economic statements!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)