Summer School (1 Viewer)

toisthbe

Evil Member
I pretty dumb, so i probably failed one of the exams ive done.

Is it true summer school is around $1350 each course?

how bout i dont want tuition, how about if i DONT WANT tuition? Can i do that? Can i just Do the EXAMs..and whatever they is tested?

not many of you would know anything about it anyway, so i guess ill just hope.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
thereabout ~1300.. and I don't think you can get away with just the exam and ask for a lower price..

it's sorta like asking to do the exam normally.. but you still have to pay ~600 even if you dont go to tutes, etc.

*hopeful*

HSC
omg 1350 ?
i think i'd rather just do it again next yr for 7** wateva it is
yeh i heard that they mark easier cuz its much harder cuz they squash the work into a couple of weeks

toisthbe

Evil Member
damn thats expensive sigh....
almost twice as much.

and its SO not worth it if think about it.
actauly UNI is not worth it, in general.

Last edited:

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
ah fuck

econ110 is a sure summer school thing for me

but 1350, is that upfront or deferred or do you have to pay summer school upfront?

flamin'

Summer school is paid up front. You do normally get better marks (my friends who did econ110 summer school all got HDs) - but failure rate is higher (thats because summer school is normally for the people that have failed it before).

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Depends how nice the lecturer is.. like they said, Write this in the final exam and I won't fail you =p

doe

HSC
N/A
i did summer school for maths136, i got 3/100 for it. best summer ever.

i only went to a few classes tho, the details are long and boring. the class size was small ~30 people max, it was quite good, id only bother with it if you were really desperate (ie you couldnt do any more subjects till youd done that one) otherwise just redo next semester.

doe

HSC
N/A
i cant really remember, it was a while ago (summer of 2001)

i think it was 4 or 6 weeks with 3 to 4 hours a day. just ring up the place that runs them and ask.

chunder

HSC
if u do the maths it really isn't expensive at all. The hourly rate is less than $30 which is more affordable than the rates charged by most HSC tutors.

doe

HSC
N/A
you guys are all stressing out to much, fear of the unknown.

if youve never done an exam at mq you have no idea where the bar is. if youve put in a genuine effort all semester you would have to go out of your way to fail. in comp subjects at least

- people fail to do assesments, and generally screw about it courses, dont go to lectures or do anywork. if they're crafty they can get away with it in first year (sometimes) but come 2nd ro 3rd when things get harder and more involved, you cant jsut breeze up to the exam and pass without doing any work. even in 3rd year nearing the end of the degree, one subject this semester just under 40% (!) of people didnt hand in _anything_ for an assignment. i cant beleive it, we had like 3 or 4 weeks, and then an extension to do it and it was worth 20% of the final mark!

- scaling is your friend. everyone doing the course is subject to the same hardships you are. if you only have a few days to study the likelihood everyone else is in the same boat with a few exceptions. usually people doing the same degree do the same subjects and so have the same workload. if an exam is hard everyone will find it hard, even super smart people can realise the exam is hard even if they still own on it. but for normal people it usually comes down how much you did over the semester (and how much you can remember). course wide bad marks get scaled up, so even if you get 40, if the highest mark is 60, they'll scale you up to a P probably (or something like this).

- unlike the hsc (at least when i did it), there isnt a finite number of good marks to get, you're not really in competition with other students. if everyone gets 100%, everyone gets HD's. usually your mark represents the effort you put in.

Last edited:

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
with summer school courses, how does the assessable component that isn't the exam work? Do you still do those online thingys? Tute presentations? etc

doe

HSC
N/A
for 136 we had 4 (or maybe 6) assignments out of 6 (i got my 3 marks in the first one), a midsemester type in class test and then the final test.

swisstruffles

HSC
hey doe thanks that made me feel (a little) better. i cant imagine anything worse han doing BBA103 again tho.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah doe same with me, i hope what you said is right though, there's 1 subject i'm just not confident with at all but i've worked hard and got good marks in most of the assessments and gone to all the lectures. ..... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)