Summer School (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Has anyone done this before?

I'm reading the Summer School info booklet and I just want to do a course that doesn't fit into my normal program just for fun (as opposed to doing it because I want to accelerate my degree). I'm a Broadway student, and AFAIK the fees are waivered for us (I'm pretty sure of this) so if it doesn't set me back financially - hey, I'm all for it. :)

Is it really intense though? Somewhat like bridging courses (I don't have to do any, but I've heard that they cram a lot of info into concerntrated lessons)?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
summer school and bridging cousres are pretty cram packed i have heard. a friend of mine has done it before.

Generator

HSC
N/A
As they say, it may be quite intense but at the same time if you are limited to 2 units at most (and in your case it would only be a single unit)... I wouldn't be too concerned.

Edit: A mate just finished his degree with a final unit taken through the summer school (he was an Economics (Honours) student, but he's not going through with that now), and he ended up with an 81 in a second year international finance unit (or something similar)... He enjoyed it, and even though he spent the entire period focused on that unit he didn't seem to consider it as being intensive.

Last edited:

aditya

HSC
hey lainee explain what u said about th fees!!! i badlli need to do some sumemr courses because yehi wann do more of hte harder coursses later on in my [double] degree -

fees waivered mean s------ FREE...?! are u seirous? please tell me ur serious? how would i confirm htis ?!?!?!?!

Generator

HSC
N/A
aditya said:
fees waivered mean s------ FREE...?! are u seirous? please tell me ur serious? how would i confirm htis ?!?!?!?!
http://www.summer.usyd.edu.au/geninfo.html#b05

However, now you are also able to make use of a FEE-Help student loan, so even without a fee waiver scholarship Summer School is not as finanically 'bad' as it once was with full-fee, upfront payments.

Lainee

HSC
Generator said:
As they say, it may be quite intense but at the same time if you are limited to 2 units at most (and in your case it would only be a single unit)... I wouldn't be too concerned.

Edit: A mate just finished his degree with a final unit taken through the summer school (he was an Economics (Honours) student, but he's not going through with that now), and he ended up with an 81 in a second year international finance unit (or something similar)... He enjoyed it, and even though he spent the entire period focused on that unit he didn't seem to consider it as being intensive.
I wouldn't mind doing like... an anthropology or psychology unit over the summer, just some interesting units I wouldn't likely have a chance to do otherwise. A chance to broaden my general knowledge a little. It says I could've tried out a unit these holidays (after HSC) and I would've loved to have done that if I found out about it earlier!

But it would be holidays, so I'll probably be taking it easy... I just want something to do really - just not too intense. :rolleyes: :)

Generator said:
The woman who was telling me about summer school fee waivers made it sound as if it was automatic for Broadway students - doesn't seem to be the case from the info on that site. Still have to apply for it and wait to see if we actually get it.

lbft

Geek
HSC
The woman who was telling me about summer school fee waivers made it sound as if it was automatic for Broadway students - doesn't seem to be the case from the info on that site. Still have to apply for it and wait to see if we actually get it.
If you do intend to apply, it might be helpful to ask Student Services (9351 2228 or visit reception on Level 7 in the Education Building) for some assistance. I don't know whether, as a Broadway student, the Counselling Service can help (that's probably dependent on the grounds for your EAS/Broadway application; the woman who was doing most of the talking works for the Counselling Service) but Student Services (not the Student Centre in Carslaw) will probably be able to point you in the right direction. There may be some more info about who to ask for help in your folder (I didn't get a chance to see what was in the folders, unfortunately.) I think what she was basically saying was that you would be quite likely to get a waiver on the same grounds as you were accepted for your EAS/Broadway application, although the Uni doesn't have access to that application as she said in the panel bit.

Lainee

HSC
lbft said:
Student Services (not the Student Centre in Carslaw)
I think that was the singularly most important thing anyone has told me today. :p Thank God you cleared that up, or I would've been walking down to the Student Centre asking to 'see Glenys'. LOL.

Thanks for that though, I will probably be asking about that later on in the year. *bookmarks this thread*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)