Summer session courses (1 Viewer)

specialjenny

HSC
Hi,

Just wondering what a summer/winter session course is like. I can't seem to understand how it is possible to jam 48 hours of contact hours into 2/3 weeks. And I don't understand how it is possible to have a 6 hr lecture/tutorial..

Thanks.

konstantine'

HSC
I'd like to know too. Also, do you have to pay the course fees upfront or can they be deferred?

sunny

meh.
HSC
They can be deferred like regular in session courses.

Summer/winter courses usually run all week for most if not the entire day during the week. 48 hours over 10 days = 4.8 hours a day...which is not very much at all.

6 hours...start at 9am, finish 3pm. :p

It really depends on the course itself as well, obviously things like gen eds should be shorter/easier, but courses that are meant to be the same as the in-session ones would be more crammed.

specialjenny

HSC
How do the lectures and tutorials work?? I mean in tutes do you sit in a class with 15 people for 6 hours having discussions and things?

Thanks for your reply Sunny.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Summer Session Courses span anywhere from 1 month to 3 months (December to February period). Winter Session Courses span for 1 month only.

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/resources/AcademicCalendar.html

specialjenny said:
How do the lectures and tutorials work?? I mean in tutes do you sit in a class with 15 people for 6 hours having discussions and things?

Thanks for your reply Sunny.
This would depend upon the course you wish to undertake in Summer. For example, for COMP1921:
http://www.timetable.unsw.edu.au/2007/COMP1921.html

You can see in Summer session period offer that it's a mix of Lectures & Tutorial-Laboratories. Again it's different for medicine, Law, Mathematics, etc courses. Discussions are usually done in Tutorials, whereas Labs are where Practical study is undertaken. The number of people in each tutorial/lab is stated in UNSW Timetables in the Enrol/Cap.

To cater for your Degree needs, check the courses on UNSW's Online Handbook, and look at the "Class Timetable" hyperlink located in the light-blue box.

Though no doubts, it's definitely alot of Cramming! But a stitch in time saves nine, you'll be saving yourself from doing the full 24 UOC for a semester(s) in the future.

konstantine'

HSC
This might sound pretty stupid but is there such a thing as doing full-time or part-time during Summer sessions?

sunny

meh.
HSC
The definition of full time study is 48uoc per year (24 per session), I doubt people usually do this much in summer (let alone 2 weeks winter).

I think of summer/winter session as extra time, so I don't think you would call them part or full time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)