Summernats (1 Viewer)

oh2sxc

HSC
yeah i was about 100 metres from the fence.

The C.A.P.A Performance Cars (600HP) were drifting around a loose gravel track that was a massive oval shape. The crowd were all lined up along the fence which is right on the track and the fence is only a shitty little wire one that is like stomach height, and they were drifting around a track and one of the utes got drift, overcorrected and hit the fence at about 60-100 kmph. it went about a metre through the fence and hit a baby in a pram (suffered injuries to the head), a woman (suffered a broken leg) and another adult who got cuts to his hand..

I just thought it was stupid to have 600hp monaros and ss utes flying around a loose gravel track with thousands of people lining fences not capable of retaining impact.. sure it was sick for the minute they were doing it but when shit hits the fan the crowd had no chance. I hope they get sued for everything they got from the weekend.

pinoying

HSC
oh2sxc said:
yeah i was about 100 metres from the fence.

The C.A.P.A Performance Cars (600HP) were drifting around a loose gravel track that was a massive oval shape. The crowd were all lined up along the fence which is right on the track and the fence is only a shitty little wire one that is like stomach height, and they were drifting around a track and one of the utes got drift, overcorrected and hit the fence at about 60-100 kmph. it went about a metre through the fence and hit a baby in a pram (suffered injuries to the head), a woman (suffered a broken leg) and another adult who got cuts to his hand..

I just thought it was stupid to have 600hp monaros and ss utes flying around a loose gravel track with thousands of people lining fences not capable of retaining impact.. sure it was sick for the minute they were doing it but when shit hits the fan the crowd had no chance. I hope they get sued for everything they got from the weekend.
I for one hope they don't get sued... this alone will boost their insurance costs, and then itll trickle down into the price of tickets.

I missed out this year so I wasnt there, but these guys were trained stunt drivers, not like they were just dickheads hooning around. It was their job to provide entertainment there, thats what they were paid for.

However, this was just an accident, and believe it or not, accidents do happen from time to time. So with that said, this shouldnt be expected to happen, and it should be safe. Chic will have to definately look at an alternative barrier for next year, or even look at having spectators further away from the track at epic.

From being there the last couple of years, I would say if anything needs to be changed about summernats, its the amount of pissed dickheads damaging cars and harrassing women and not picking on stunt drivers merely doing their jobs. What ever happened to responsible service of alcohol? Sloshed idiots are being served grog even though theyve had way past enough.

End of rant.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Didn't get a chance to go because I was working - certainly saw a lot of exotic metal around canberra though:
2x 360 Modena
2x 911 GT3
A pontiac firebird
A couple of Mustang Mach1s
One Shelby GT500
A Nur spec R34

And of course more VL and VP commodores than you could poke a stick at. Oh and interestingly (well for a Volvo nut like myself) a 9 second volvo.

Overall impressions (from nights out in civic over the nats weekend) there were more police than you could poke a stick at, everywhere was a sausage fest - especially on thurs night by saturday it was alright though. Lots of cars out and generally a very well behaved crowd - the nats people all being generally friendly enough, no major brawls in civic etc... (there was a small one on fri night outside mooseheads but the police jumped on that).

More alarmingly one of the guys at work was chased for 40km by nats dickheads at speeds of up to 170 through belconnen before he could loose them. And judging by them waving knives at him he was lucky his driving was up to scratch....

transcendent

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
More alarmingly one of the guys at work was chased for 40km by nats dickheads at speeds of up to 170 through belconnen before he could loose them. And judging by them waving knives at him he was lucky his driving was up to scratch....
I've been chased before by these lebs. Scary feeling and I was TRYING not to speed and be decent that night. At least he didn't get an anti-theft wheel lock thrown at him. Any particular reason why he was chased?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
The only possible reason he could think of was that he was driving slowly because he was lost/trying to read a map...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)