Sunni/Shi'ite (1 Viewer)

Huss

HSC
N/A
well the difference in the two are:
the sunni's claim to follow the right 'path' which is the sunna. the sunna is everything narated by the prophet as long as the transmitters are trusworthy.

the shi'ite believe that only decendants of the prophet can be invested as leader and they keep an official list of those who should hgave governed the muslim world. most shi'i belong to a group called the twelvers. which are twleve imamsfollowing on from ali (the fourth caliph) to a young boy who dissapered in iraq. they awaits his return as the mahdi and untill then they are guided by its mujtahids(ppl qualified to make a legal ruling) like the ayatola (high ranking shi'i leader).

Nomes

If you're discussing these variants in ethics then you could also mention that Sunni Muslims use the Qur'an and Hadith as sacred texts, whereas Shi'ite Muslims use the Qur'an, Hadith and Adab.

For decision-making, Sunnis use Qiyas (legal precedent) and Ijma (consensus of Muslim scholars), whereas Shi'ites use only the Ijma.

queen_bze

do we really need to know varients of islam?? i do two unit and my teacher sux and i dont know n e thing bout diff varients of islam... shite

Skunkylicious

i'm doing the different variants for rites of passage an drites of public worship (ie. janazah and ramadan respectively) our teacher said there is no way we culd get full marks without writing about the differences between variants ... and i can't find my notes!

Nomes

If you don't write about variants and neglect to use quotes from the tradition's sacred text you have no chance of getting a band 6.

So remember: VARIANTS and QUOTES!

Jonski

HSC
shi'tie also pray with a sacred rock...which is from the holy land. they prayer = bow and the rock touchs their forehead.
sunnis dont...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)