• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Super Cheap Auto 1000 - Bathurst (1 Viewer)

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
awesome race, bit of everything really. Im busting to hear the ruling on the pile up at the end, should be interesting, it is a really hard one to pick. UP HOLDEN!

rightie

lost in suburbia hell
HSC
Argonaut said:
I taped the telecast yesterday and managed to get most of the accident (tape stopped about 30 seconds after the accident and my brother lost a bit in switching tapes) but I did see a dozen replays from a dozen angles and that accident was totally Murphy's fault.

He messed up on the exit of Griffins (I grew up virtually living on Bathurst so I know all the corners by their original names) and Ambrose brushed him a little which set Murph off. And Murph being Murph and never admitting he's in the wrong decided to try and run down the inside of Ambrose but got in the Tasmanian's blind spot, so he turned and Murph hit him, pushing him across the track, flicking him up ... and you know the rest.

Of course Murph would never admit he's at fault for that, despite Ambrose clearly having right-of-way.
are you a ford supporter?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Ambrose better get used to what a wall looks like. He'll be spending a lot of time connecting to them next year in nascar.

I don't think it was completely Murphs fault. Ambrose is an arrogant jerk who was hot under the collar, or should I say balaclava, who was determined to knock everyone and everything off the track, like he usually does.

And this is why everyone loves murphy :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Argonaut said:
While I primarily support Fords, I also support Holdens to a certain extent
Name one good holden team. I seriously can't think of one. *thinks* Still nothing.

The accident was exactly similar to the ingall vs skaife *shivers* incident at eastern creek in 2003. Nothing was done then, they were both just warned and fined.

But I would have loved to have heard what Murph and Ambrose were yelling at each other! Although, it was prime time tv, but I've heard murph swearing before when they have had an onboard camera with the radio.

I can't believe I'm reduced to talking about a massive crash, when I should have been celebrating Lowndes and Mullers back to back endurance race victories.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
The bottom line is that the marshalls decided no action would be taken, and whether we like it or not they do know best. It was a case of too much car for too little room, they both wanted the spot and there was no way they were going to get through alive.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Cape said:
Ambrose better get used to what a wall looks like. He'll be spending a lot of time connecting to them next year in nascar.

I don't think it was completely Murphs fault. Ambrose is an arrogant jerk who was hot under the collar, or should I say balaclava, who was determined to knock everyone and everything off the track, like he usually does.

And this is why everyone loves murphy :)
i wanted murph to smack him one... man that would have been great

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Did anyone see the new footage of the tyre hit Lowndes's windscreen? That footage made me phyiscally feel sick.

As for murph / ambrose thing, racing incident was all that they could really call it. Theres nothing else. Plus the murph / ambrose and the ingall / skaife thingo does make the sport more interesting.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
Cape said:
Did anyone see the new footage of the tyre hit Lowndes's windscreen? That footage made me phyiscally feel sick.

As for murph / ambrose thing, racing incident was all that they could really call it. Theres nothing else. Plus the murph / ambrose and the ingall / skaife thingo does make the sport more interesting.
yeh i saw that too, you could see it in the air coming closer and the imapct on the windscreen was amazing.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Argonaut said:
I dunno, Cape. My dad and I downloaded the replay from a chase helicopter (one that wasn't used in the telecast) and played it frame-by-frame from Griffins' to the Cutting.

And in the frame just after Murph and Ambrose collided, the Kiwi's wheels were very clearly pointing to the right.

Now why would he be turning right in a left-hand corner?
Which one of them were on the racing line?

Didn't Murph run wide, and Ambrose had a sniff up the inside to overtake him. Now if I was murph, I would have driven towards the right to block Ambrose from overtaking me. Anyway, for that corner you needed to be on the right hand side of the track, so effectively Murph was just heading towards the racing line.

Why am I sticking up for a Holden driver? :(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
His wheels were on the outside cause he was going to kill Ambrose and Ambrose got what he deserved. Do I also have to inform you that Murph is a Kiwi and a Holden driver, they really can't tell the difference between left and right.

But i'll stop with the bitching now.

But most importantly, why was Ambrose trying to overtake in such a stupid position on the track. Someone was just plain desperate for a Bathurst win before he went to America.

Really I believe you argo, I'll look at the videos when I get home this arvo, I don't think the uni would like a whole pile of V8 video clips on the computer :rolleyes:

Thankyou for the website darl. Tell you what, when I'm in class I'll think about why Murphs wheels were pointing to the outside of the corner :)

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i was up on the mountain for the weekend, an i can safely say that the majority of people cant drive a V8 supercar.
the speed they were doing going around Reid park heading towards skyline is fucking insane, the TV does it no justice at all.
i was sitting just after the cutting, so i saw lowndes kiss the wall, that was directly infront of me.
but i heard the crash at cutting, so i ran down to look, but it was heaps hard so see what happened, so we had to wait till the cars got towed to see what happened.
great weekend tho, an the race is only a small part of the weekend, the beer, burnouts, fireworks. all make it a great weekend

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Ambrose did not already have Murph as in actually overtaken him. Ambrose had a little sniff up the inside. Am I going to argue about this for the rest of my life :rolleyes:

If your talking about racing etiquette, ambrose should not have had a look up the inside, sure murph was off the racing line, but there was definately NOT enough room for Ambrose to make an effective pass without meeting the wall or murphs car.

Now who was the idiot who planted that tree right on corner should be shot! That tree is virtually blocking everything that is happening :(

But its both Murphs and Ambroses fault. Murph cause he made the mistake and went slightly wide in the previous corner. And Ambrose for desperately trying to win Bathurst by overtaking in a place where you shouldn't overtake.

I wonder how one goes about getting into the V8 series anyway ...
The development series? Haven't you left your run a bit late anyway? Or you could find the keys / license to a v8 supercar in a weetbix box where Ambrose, Murph and Skaife got theirs :p

mcs

HSC
Was another great race- went to it as I do most years and it was insane. good to see the fords choke again... seems to happen most years. But yeh was a good race- damn they as bowman said really put their foot down across the top of the mount- for those unfortunate enough to have never driven the place they make it look so damn simple on tv and its fucking scary enough going round in a little shitbox like my Pulsar is let alone with your foot to the floor in a V8. As for Murphy and Ambrose, I think they were both at fault to be honest both made mistakes but yeh! Was some pretty big accidents across the weekend- did anyone catch the crash int he Porsche race!

MCS

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
mcs said:
did anyone catch the crash int he Porsche race!

MCS
yeh i saw that crash. he was lucky to survive with only minor injuries...especially at the speed he was going.

i just saw the frame by frame replay of the accident...from what i see murphy was right up alongside ambrose coming up to the cutting so ambrose would of been conscious of hm there, and just before the crash as ambrose is turning in to the corner muphy looks like he is between the A and B pillars so he would of been visible to ambrose. ambrose just cut him off leaving him no room no brake in time...

Last edited:

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
yeah those three have the best place to watch
we watch from reid park
can see about 20M of mountain straight
about 100 m from exit of cutting,
an majoity of conrod, chase, an murrys corner

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I might have to give Reid a shot next year, sounds like its decent. Typically we would sit on Shell corner, looking down Pit Straight, and up Big Pond, it is a good spot I think, get to see plenty of action, and obviously the start and finish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)