super glue? (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
what is the composition of superglue?

why does it bond so strongly?

now for the real question:
How the HELL do i get it off my hands. :-\ its dried.
and my hands are all white now.

*really scared*

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
lol owned by superglue.

sorry i can't really contribute cuz i dunno. probably hot wate and keep rubbing your fingers onto something to remove it :p

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
wait a week or so till the old layer of skin peels off :D

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
tried hot water soap and nail polish remover? (im sure ull have that handy :p)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
use something with ethanol in it, prob ur best bet.

try metho.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Grey Council
what is the composition of superglue?

why does it bond so strongly?

now for the real question:
How the HELL do i get it off my hands. :-\ its dried.
and my hands are all white now.

*really scared*
lol i thought that was what u seriously learn about in year 12 chem, and im like hmm maybe it does get better
lolz ( :) HEHE :) )

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
heat removes most of the stuff... try put ur hand around a hot fire place... i fink u can get it off that way...

but dun get urself burnt tho =)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
just post stack-loads on BOS and it'll fall off

or: concentrated acid should do the job, 18M H2SO4

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I suggest that you don't try metho, as (a) I doubt it will work, and (b) anything that becomes dissolved in methanol has a direct entry route to your bloodstream, as methanol can pass through skin.

Don't try nail polish remover either, as (a) it won't work, and (b) if it is acetone, it is not good for you - it is usually acetone or ethyl acetate.

Definitely don't try 18 M H<sub>2</SUB>SO<sub>4</sub> - that is a 'cure' that is far worse than the 'disease', and will leave you with potential serious injury.

I suspect the answer is the one already suggested by Heinz - it will wear off with time. You could try helping the process along with scrubbing under warm, soapy water.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
lol..I think the 18M H2SO4 was a joke :p

Hopefully :)
I'm sure it was. However, since I was posting pointing out some of the dangers associated with other suggestions, it would (IMO) have been irresponsible of me not to comment on the danger inherent in this suggestion. I take safety with chemicals seriously. A colleague of mine has just gone through a very serious reaction to mishandling a spill of 2 drops of a chemical. The reaction spread over his entire hand, and he will be left with permanent scarring. I'm sure t-i-m-m-y was joking, but that wouldn't cause me to tacitly condone such a suggestion by ignoring it in a thread in which I was posting.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
you know that nail filing thing that chicks have? the ones they use to buff their cuticles... use that to sand it off... or maybe use those corn remover buffing things...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
lol..I think the 18M H2SO4 was a joke :p

Hopefully :)
hopefully. has any1 spilt this stuff? me remembers when we spilt it last year:) in the fume cupboard of course *cough

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
hopefully. has any1 spilt this stuff? me remembers when we spilt it last year:) in the fume cupboard of course *cough
Better still, have you seen what happens when you put an eyeball in this stuff? (This is done in a USyd course on safety as a demonstration, in case anyone is wondering how I would know what happens. :))

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
lick it.
lolz, talk abt jks... =D funni non the less tho.. hope no one takes it literally =)

Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
WOA!!! u get to use 18 M H2SO4 in ur school!!! which school did u go to??? i wanna go that school =0

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Better still, have you seen what happens when you put an eyeball in this stuff? (This is done in a USyd course on safety as a demonstration, in case anyone is wondering how I would know what happens. :))
cm_tutor, wut happened to the eye ball??

*shivers... ='(
*cries due to fear...

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Nothing nice. The lecturer who does this usually gets someone to come down to the front of the lecture theatre, to confirm what is happening (like the acid getting really hot). The shape distorts, the corneas become cloudy, liquid leaks, and the smell...

Let's just say that it'll convince you to wear safety glasses!

PS: Obviously, it's not a human eyeball - it's a pig eyeball that the lecturer gets from a butcher.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
haha. lecturer: any volunteers like to gimme their eyeball?
Originally posted by xiao1985

WOA!!! u get to use 18 M H2SO4 in ur school!!! which school did u go to??? i wanna go that school =0
yes we did use 18M:) and sodium mmmm *kaboom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)