superconductors (1 Viewer)

karentao77

HSC
There are so many answers for this question but I don't know which answer I am supposed to use.
What temperatures do superconductors work at for both types of superconductors?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
There's Type I & Type II superconductors.

Type I superconductors are often just metallic elements but have very low critical temperatures (about 4K)

The latter (Type II) are compounds and are usually ceramic and as a result are brittle however they have higher critical temperatures (about up to +150K). It's cheaper to use Liquid Nitrogen than liquid hydrogen so Type II superconductors are preferred in many cases.

In general, Type II superconductors have greater critical temperatures than Type I superconductors.

zingerburger

HSC
I've only heard of the one answer - superconductors work at temperatures near absolute zero i.e. about -273 degrees Celcius.

EDIT: Ahhh yes, of course. I forgot about the Type II conductors.

Last edited:

Hallatia

HSC
what are the implications on society if scientists are successful in making a superconductor which will work at room temperatures?

chousta

HSC
Hallatia said:
what are the implications on society if scientists are successful in making a superconductor which will work at room temperatures?
"........a world of endless possibilities....."(very cliche), but there are a vast range of implications, such as technology becoming smaller, and faster. Imagine this on computer, or more specifically in areas such as medicine.

that should get you thinking.

:wave: chousta.

Hallatia

HSC
chousta said:
"........a world of endless possibilities....."(very cliche), but there are a vast range of implications, such as technology becoming smaller, and faster. Imagine this on computer, or more specifically in areas such as medicine.

thanks, I came up with most of that, but they all seem like good things to me, I think the question refers to negative ones and I cannot see much negative there

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
expense of manufacturing it maybe?

most new technologies can be vasty expensive, therefore, it may have some social economic impacts, such as the rich gets richer, poor gets poorer

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
chousta said:

If Type II superconductors are already fragile (because they're mainly ceramic), imagine how motherly gentle you have to be to a new type of superconductors that would work at room temperature as their molecular structure become even more complex.

Hallatia

HSC
f3nr15 said:
If Type II superconductors are already fragile (because they're mainly ceramic), imagine how motherly gentle you have to be to a new type of superconductors that would work at room temperature as their molecular structure become even more complex.
that is a good answer, thanks, I never thought about that, although I always took notice of the fragile thing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)