SURPRISE! i have Mac problems. :( (1 Viewer)

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
Hey everyone/anyone.

I have to use a mac for work and i'm having problems with it. Its the Mac OS 9.2 and is really crap. A new mac will soon be getting here, and naturally i would just be inclined to not use the old one and simply wait for the new one to come in. However, it is not as easy as this.

I have a CD in the cd drive of the dodgey computer, and i need the Mac to work so that i can get it out!

Basically my problem is that whenever i start it up, the mouse converts into the little watch thingy and i can't click on anything and when i try to open the cd drive, nothing happens.

if ANYONE can help me i would GREATLY appreciate it!

cheers, jess

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I haven't used a Mac that old for a while, but you should be able to eject the CD by restarting the computer and holding down the mouse as it starts up - until you hear the chime.

Alternatively, you can restart the computer and hold down the Option key. The Startup Manager will appear, and it should have an option to eject the CD.

If all else fails, during startup, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F key combination to enter Open Firmware, type "eject cd" in lower case letters, then press return.

I'm not sure if those last two options work in OS 9.2, but I'm pretty sure they do. Good luck. :)

I_F

mossup

can you do the mossup?
HSC
Bah. i tried he mouse.....that didn't work....i tried conrol and that didn't work... i fee that there is no hope but to kick the ruddy piece of plastic with my heels and pray that the cd falls out as it flies through the air.

NOTE: the prolem is now variable....the mouse works sometimes but whenever i try to do anything CD related it freezes.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
push command+e.... the little squiggly box thingy( equivalent to ctrl)... I had the same problem at college.. I have a PC at hom and use a mac at college ....ewww.

so yeah squiggly box+e that should work.

+ E

Last edited:

bassqueen16

HSC
if u get reeeeeealllllly desperate, and u know u wont use the comp anymore after u get the new one, just bust it open *carefully* (if thats even possible) and get the cd out, most desktop comps have removeable cd drives too so maby u can just remove it? that prob sounded dumb but eh

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PIN HOLE TRICK

there should be a pinhole on CD-drive. shove a pin in there while the computer is off.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yup look for the pinhole and stick something small/thin in there and it should work...

LOL @ mac problems.

Callistogenic

HSC
insert-username said:
I haven't used a Mac that old for a while, but you should be able to eject the CD by restarting the computer and holding down the mouse as it starts up - until you hear the chime.
Hold the mouse button well after the chime. Just hold it down until it decides to spit it out.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
there should be a pinhole on CD-drive. shove a pin in there while the computer is off.
Even with the slot-loading drives? I thought they only came with tray-loader not with slots.

I_F

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
... or you can push Command+E... whatever tickles your fancy lol/if you dont wanna bust it open

Callistogenic

HSC
flipsyde said:
... or you can push Command+E... whatever tickles your fancy lol/if you dont wanna bust it open
No you can't.

The machine is freezing upon startup. No key commands will get through to the system. Therefore you either use a paperclip or hold down the mouse button.

mossup

can you do the mossup?
HSC
thanx guys...i'll have a go at the pin hole trick......provided i can find a pi to stick down it! haha. stupid macs.

As for this twat --------->

TerrbleSpellor said:
yeh you have a mac probem. You own one. That's the main problem.

<--------- READ WHAT I WROTE!!! NOT just the title! i have no choice...i have to use a mac at work!

HSC
You cant really judge Macs on what 9.2 is like!!
Macs have progressed a lot in the last couple of years, and if i were u, update the computer's OS! :)

mossup

can you do the mossup?
HSC
chocolate_lover said:
You cant really judge Macs on what 9.2 is like!!
Macs have progressed a lot in the last couple of years, and if i were u, update the computer's OS! :)
indeed...you shouldn't judge all macs on the OS 9.2 version....but i can judge it on the idiotic single button mouse, the ridiculous keyboard short cuts, (seriously...why the symbols?) and the illogical systems.

frankly i prefer microsoft!

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I used a 3 button scroller mouse on my old mac 8.6
It works just fine except for mouse button 3 (middle scroller button), so I guess the problem is with their home-made mouse.

mossup

can you do the mossup?
HSC
does the right click actually perform the same function as the Macintosh control-click ? I just plugged my dell mouse into the stupid mac and the right click was just the same as a normal click of the single button mouse.....you still have to press the ruddy control button!

mossup

can you do the mossup?
HSC
I hate to say this but i'm a mac convert. The new G5 mac i use is awesome. I NEVER thought i'd say that. I now understand just how nice it is to have so many keyboard shortcuts, and the fact that apple have upgraded to a 5 button mouse also restores my faith in them. I LOVE the 360 degree scroll ball. It comes in great handy when moving about an illustration i'm creating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)