• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

surrealism (1 Viewer)

miffytoki

HSC
usually talk about joan miro "harlequin's carnival" and Rene Magritte - "the lovers"

surrealism isn't my forte

SitDownStandUp

HSC
N/A
Wah?

The case here seems to be that no-one seems to know the background story behind Dali and therefore interprets things that are not only wrong but highly dissmissive.

Firstly, Dali's paintings are not inspired from paranoia or any other niggling mental ailments, he simply incorporates living dreamscapes onto the canvas (or in some case the sculptural plane) whilst subliminally/subconsciously presenting an aspect of his life or ideas about the world.

Dali is my favourite painter also (Joseph Kosuth is my fav overall).

mittens

HSC
SitDownStandUp said:
The case here seems to be that no-one seems to know the background story behind Dali and therefore interprets things that are not only wrong but highly dissmissive.

Firstly, Dali's paintings are not inspired from paranoia or any other niggling mental ailments, he simply incorporates living dreamscapes onto the canvas (or in some case the sculptural plane) whilst subliminally/subconsciously presenting an aspect of his life or ideas about the world.

Dali is my favourite painter also (Joseph Kosuth is my fav overall).
the hell u talking about? of course that's the subject matter, but a true surrealist doesnt just work off random images that pop into their head, the truest surreal artworks come from a dream, many surrealists must imagine the 'dreamland' as a whole, of course you see stuff that deals with the artist's bias and thats because (like songwriting, performing arts and creative arts like visual arts) one's self influenced their appeal to that movement in the first place, it's only natural that one should develop it... i'm speaking out of personal experience.

surrealism can come of hallucinations aswell, some surrealists took drugs to induce them to create these vivid landscapes and scenarios but the difference between them and dali, james gleeson and incase ur wondering, myself, the hallucinations came of a state of mind that warps your perception of everything! it's flippin freaky and i really think that it's dangerous, if i didnt have some of the friends i have i would not have recovered my mind. let this b a warning and a wake up call. surrealism has subliminal messages and it's funny cause it doesnt require imagination at all. you can improvise and imagine it but thats not connecting with yourself an allowingboth your rational and irrational mind to take control at the same time. capice'?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)