• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

survey on teachers and swearing .. thankyou! (1 Viewer)

Navjeet

>^..^<
HSC
* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes?
Yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion)
My geography teacher regularly used the words "bloody", "hell" and "crap" in class, often in the same sentence, but never in a way that offended people. Like we knew he was the last person on earth to take seriously. My ipt teacher said to me "fuck nav, you're so lucky" after he managed to rescue my major work from getting deleted, but it was a one-off kind of thing.

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them?
ummm, none that I can remember

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class.
The aforementioned geography teacher sometimes used "tart" if you consider that in the same league as "slut", but yeah, he never mentioned specific names.

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)?
Yes, very much so. Head teachers and deputy principles (deputy principles more so than head teachers) command much more respect than a regular classroom teacher, and it would be difficult for students to take them seriously in formal situations when they use swearing language in front of the student.

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words.
( edit: i am focusing on the word slut, now and have an addtionl question. do u think is it acceptable for a teacher to say this word in class?) thanks
Not swear words as such, but "slut" is generally quite a derogatory term, especially in a girls school environment like the one i was in. Crap has just kind of become an everyday word now...i dont think many people see it as offensive anymore.

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy
As long as it's in a joking/light-hearted manner, its fine. Thats what made a lot of our year 12 classes fun...the double entendre's and sexual innuendo's of classroom conversation.

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class
Students at my school knew the boundaries they could push with individual teachers. We knew which teachers to behave like ladies around, and which ones we could treat as mates. As long as no one crossed these boundaries, we were fine at school in terms of swearing. As for references, once again, it depends on the individual teachers making them. There were some teachers who we felt uncomfortable if they ever tried to make a sexual joke, but then the rest were more like friends than teachers, so it wasnt a problem. As long as no one is hurt by it, i think there is no harm in it happening.

littlemic21

Lurking In The Shadows
HSC
* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class? yes

1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes? yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) sometimes by accident, simetimes wen we piss them off, but usually just casually

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? shit, fuck, crap, bullshit, bloody idiot, bastard, shutup etc. im fine with it.. we've already been exposed to it enuff so i dont think its gonna influence us much

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? not exactly "normal", but its ok by me

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)? i think it depends on age more than status.. like we joke around heaps with all the young tchrs fresh out of uni even sum older ones we can have a casual convo about the footy n wateva n they dont mind language.. but the older ones are so uptight.

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words slut, yes. crap, no

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use different language and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy only if appropriate, thing is theyve still gotta focus on subject theyre teachin n its gotta b relevant

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class ^all up there

konggo

HSC
hmm.... well my englih teacher is the funniest teacher cause we cut him so bad in class and hes bald so we cannot help it. thought the best cut ever was by him .....

student: he sir pls close that blink your head is reflecting that light and caseing me blindness

Teacher:yeah but at least i an't fat,gay and dumb and hairy like u!!

whole call: Bahh!!!!!!!you got cut!!!

the most anoying and disturbing words came from my tution teachers mouth: u guys know about the (vu'-uv')/v^2 u know that hard to remmeber well here;s another one (ab'-ba')/v^2 oh and the boys are gay thats y they have long hair, dashes.....

class: well thats it whos got a gun???!!

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC

* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class? yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) Mostly just accident and infiltration of normal conversation.

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? fuck, fuckfuckfuckityfuck, shit, crap, bullshit, bloody idiot, bastard, shutup, bitch... Yes, they have a right, as long as it isn't directly offensive to others such as telling someone to fuck off.

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? Thats not exactly normal, but if it's relevant, then by all means it's normal.

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)? Not their status, it all comes down to what the individual and the relationship with them is like.

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words. No

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use different language and make refernce to things, like sexual things? If it's relevant and appropriate then it's fine.

=

Trev

stix
HSC

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) both

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? shit, bastard, cockroach lol

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? ( edit:
I am just going to quickly explain this q, as I don’t know whether people get it. I am not saying is it okay for teacher to call someone a slut, i am saying, do you think or have they used the word, as in like saying this person was cut becaue people think she is a slut .. if you get me ( of course not saying name .. teachers wouldnt do that!))
notes: the slut questions wasnt about a teacher singling out a student and calling them a slut, i doubt that would happen! it was a teacher with out mentioning names just refering to someone like saying person a called person b a slut ( and thats asll , not the teacher saying who a and b are)
*cough*

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)? yes

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words. no
( edit: i am focusing on the word slut, now and have an addtionl question. do u think is it acceptable for a teacher to say this word in class?) thanks yes
8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy; one of my teachers always makes sexual references lol, he even gave his english class a text that was about the "journey" of sperm, but had no relevance to journey....just sperm lol

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class; meh, i dont care :)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
1) yes, funny shit

2) purpose, but not in a bad way, we're all guys n we speak worse, so it's always accepted

3) shit, idiot, wanker, tool, they're ok, coz once again, its all done 'tongue-in-cheek'

4) yeh

5) no

6) not really

8) lol, yes, as long as its not personal

9) where'd nuba 7 go? umm, its bloody funny seeing our 60-sumthing yr old ohysics teachers telling us how we would neva 4get the 'right-hand-screw rule' :D funnnnniest eva

YES
2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion)
PUROSE
3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them?
FUCK, SHIT, CRAP, (THE USUAL)
4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!?
PROBABLY NOT "NORMAL" BUT I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)?
THE HIGHER UP ONE ARE LESS LIKELY E.G. PRINCIPAL...THAT WOULD BE VERY UNLIKELY

NO, BUT SLUT IN A PARTICULAR CONTEXT COULD BE OFFENSIVE

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy
SURE, MOST OF US ARE MATURE ADULTS I'M 18 SO WHATEVA

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class
WELL SWEARING IS COMMON. I'VE HADE SOME WEIRD CONVERSATIONS ABOUT BAR FIGHTS, BUCKS NIGHT AND STRIPPERS (IM FEMALE FYI). IM PRETTY CASUAL WITH MOST OF THE TEACHERS WHATEVA...NOT MUCH OFFENDS ME.

dangerousdave

HSC
hey i am just wondering if you can fill out my survey on teachers and swearing in class, it shall only take a few mins! thankyou so much ( this is for a society and culture project) changing language and attitudes of teachers in class

* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

Yes

One teacher called me a dickhead because I was arguing with him about a question (which he later appologised for because i was right).
Most of the time its just out of conversation.

dickhead, shit, fuck. I believe they have a right to use them.

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? ( edit:
I am just going to quickly explain this q, as I don’t know whether people get it. I am not saying is it okay for teacher to call someone a slut, i am saying, do you think or have they used the word, as in like saying this person was cut becaue people think she is a slut .. if you get me ( of course not saying name .. teachers wouldnt do that!))
notes: the slut questions wasnt about a teacher singling out a student and calling them a slut, i doubt that would happen! it was a teacher with out mentioning names just refering to someone like saying person a called person b a slut ( and thats asll , not the teacher saying who a and b are)

Yes

Yes, unlikely a teacher of higher authority would want to set an example to other teachers by not swearing.

( edit: i am focusing on the word slut, now and have an addtionl question. do u think is it acceptable for a teacher to say this word in class?) thanks

No

not as formal classes

Swearing not very common by my teachers. Only times it been used towards me:
"no you dickhead"
"you''ll still need to do a fucking shitload of work"

HSC
N/A
hey i am just wondering if you can fill out my survey on teachers and swearing in class, it shall only take a few mins! thankyou so much ( this is for a society and culture project) changing language and attitudes of teachers in class

Yes - not many times, but yes they have

Purpose - or so i think

shut up, shush, umm... they have the right to use them, after all they're human, but i still think they shouldnt..

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!? ( edit: I am just going to quickly explain this q, as I don’t know whether people get it. I am not saying is it okay for teacher to call someone a slut, i am saying, do you think or have they used the word, as in like saying this person was cut becaue people think she is a slut .. if you get me ( of course not saying name .. teachers wouldnt do that!))
huh?!.. i think it's okay.. because like i sed b4,, they're just human.. but still.. depends on the maturity of the students they are talking to

no.

yes. they are swear words.. but not to a really drastic extent.. they should not be used in classes.. full of students.

7) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy
what do you mean?

8) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class
i dont think they should swear in class.. if it's avoidable.. if not.. well that's their problem.. and they can lose their jobs.. or get suspended from it for a time.. i know.. because it's happened to one of my teachers in primary school.. but then again, i guess the pupils were of a different maturity age group..

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class? Some teachers yes

1) Do/ have teachers sweared in any of your classes? Yes

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) On Purpose

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? Fuck, crap, bullshit. And yes we hear it everywhere else anyway

notes: the slut questions wasnt about a teacher singling out a student and calling them a slut, i doubt that would happen! it was a teacher with out mentioning names just refering to someone like saying person a called person b a slut ( and thats asll , not the teacher saying who a and b are) yes its normal, wat other names are there for a slut anyway? A slut is a slut

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)? nope

( edit: i am focusing on the word slut, now and have an addtionl question. do u think is it acceptable for a teacher to say this word in class?) thanks nope

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy yeah

Not all teachers swear. The older ones are more uptight. It’s the younger teachers that do the swearing and that’s fine by me. I don’t think swearing is acceptable at my skool, but teachers do it anyway. It dosent bother me.

Last edited:

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
* Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class? some teachers do...

2) If so was it by accident or on purpose (ie. as a casual part of a conversastion) on purpose, to add effect, or saying something someone else has said.

3) What words do teachers commonly use in your classly that arent exactly nice? if so do you think they have the right to use them? yes, to older students if they please, but not against them ie. it would be ok for a teacher to say "some told me to fuck off today" but not ok for a teacher to say "fuck off *insert students name here*

notes: the slut questions wasnt about a teacher singling out a student and calling them a slut, i doubt that would happen! it was a teacher with out mentioning names just refering to someone like saying person a called person b a slut ( and thats asll , not the teacher saying who a and b are) YES i think thats ok

5) do you think whether or not teachers can swear in class depends on their status ( ie, standard classroom teacher, deputy principal, head teacher)? no

6) Do you classify "slut" and "crap" as swear words. YES
8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use differemtlanguage and make refernce to things, like sexual things? as in like that was raunchy...ummm? depending on the situation...

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references ( ie sexual) made in class...it depends HOW they say it....everything depends on the context

7th Sign

HSC
omg their is the rudest teacher at my school.....she says fuck of to students all the time...and always says shit like get your fucking home work in or ill kill you ......also my mate told me this ...the other day in her class their was a listening test on and theses kids were knocking at tha door and she going not fucking now....then opens the door full swaring and then smashes it and contunialsy says fuck.....

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Do teachers say words, sterotypically associated as bad such as "bloody" "hell" and "crap" in class?

1) Yes! teachers have sweared in my classes before, not at a student though!

2) It was as a casual part of a conversastion

3) Can't remember! If any of my teachers say anything that is 'wrong' though, I have a go at them! One thing (not that it's 'wrong, but bloddy annoying) is there is a teacher at my school and he is obsessed with saying 'get over it!'. Arghhh it's so annoying!

4) I would definately not consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class.

5) I think that anyone hasa right to swear, but it kinda depends in what circumstance they are using it.
A teacher might for instance get really angry or hurt themself and say for example shit, then, that is no problem (I think it has nothing to do with status, every1 has that right!-it's normal), but i don't agree with teachers or anyone for that matter swearing at another person, in an abusing manner!

6) I don't classify 'crap' as a swear word. Not sure about "slut", but i am very much against this word, it is so degrading, no matter what way it is used! Even for someone who is a prostitute, I do not think that people should speak about them like this!

I think that it depends on what the teacher may be talking about in class to say whether or not they should use this word (eg, if they are telling you some1 said it, thenm fine, but if they are calling some1 that, it is wrong!)

8)I think that teachers should treat older people as if they are older people. We are more mature and can handle being spoken to about issues such as sex and other things in that area. Although, I dod not think that we should be spoken to like we are their partner, saying things such as; that's really sexy..blah blah, it's a bit wrong, and leaves it so open to problems with teacher/student relationships!

9) If a teacher swears at my school it has NEVER been in an inappropriate way, it has only been like them speaking to us in conversation and saying, 'yeah that gives me the shits', or stuff like that, friendly(if you can explain it that way) speaking!
I think this is fine, becasue it makes the students feel like the teacher is on their level! Which is great!

But no swearing AT teachers, or teachers swearing AT sctudents, that's pathetic!

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
Someguy123 said:

1. yes

2. usually on purpose

3. hmm, usually just swears when shes pissed off at someone, like the head of the department or politicians.

4. teachers can say what they like if it doesnt get to the people it refers to

5. head teachers and higher usually restrict their language with a few exceptions

6. ahh nope, unless the teacher tells a chick shes a slut. teachers have every right to label your work as 'crap'

8. teachers should be able to relax their language as students get older because its a question of relating to students as friends rather than ordering juniors around.

9. the teachers usually swear when they are pissed off at others and need to blow some steam off, and who better to do that than to a senior class who wont the person getting abused? an english teacher at my school bags the crap out of the head teacher for being a fat, lazy bastard who is too fat to get to class on time and too fat to go on excursions etc. you draw the line at teachers using abusive language to abuse students.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
yes

On purpose, casual and also when angry

Fuck, shit, whore, bullshit... the usual stuff

4) Would you consider it "normal" for a teacher to say "slut" in class. as in, a teacher saying:i was talking to this girl the other day and she was complaining that everyone was calling her a slut?!?
yes

no

no

8) do you think, as teachers teach people in years 11 and 12 they should be allowed to use different language and make refernce to things, like sexual things? Yes

9) Please comment/ provide you view point/ explain the situation at your school on teachers and swearing and references- Meh just casual conversation and also when angry. I dont think it really matters because I mean pfft by that age youve matured and heard it all before and probably say it so it shuddnt affect the students really

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)