• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

SuSe Linux (1 Viewer)

igetboredeasily

HSC
Heya, I just installed Suse 10.0, using the install files on the openSuSe site, but now my Realtec AC'97 doesn't work under windows...
I'm using the Grub scripts if that makes any difference over Lilo...
The lilo scripts wouldn't run for some reason, but i'm getting really annoyed, i use my PC a lot for music, and i don't have that many CD's, so i'm looking for the easiest/quickest fix possible

Adrian.

HSC
Reinstall the sound drivers in Windows. The drivers should be on the CD that came with your main board. Is sound working in Lniux? I've never heard of this happening before. See what a Google shows up if reinstalling the drivers doesn't work. Also make sure your sound is turned up in control panel in Windows.

igetboredeasily

HSC
ok... sound isn't working under either - i tried reinstalling drivers under both operating systems to no avail, although i don't actualy have my motherboard CD with me- it's at home while i'm at uni, so i had to take generic AC'97 drivers from the internet

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
There is a bug in some Linux distros with AC'97 soundcards and the soundcard detection program.

I know Fedora Core 4 has the same problem (Me and a friend could not get it to work, with the Soundcard Detection program freezing when trying to play a test sound).

However, the soundcard not working under Windows is quite odd.

Download updates through both SuSe and Microsoft, looking for Sound related updates and see what happens.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
It shouldnt be the Grub loader, pretty much all it does is choose a partition to boot from.

The problem may go deeper than software problems.

igetboredeasily

HSC
well it worked fine up until i installed SuSe, the only problems i've had before were when i first got the pc and had to find drivers for windows-but since then it's been fine. I've run Knoppix on this machine before and that seemed fine, but this is the first hard install of Linux i've had on this machine

igetboredeasily

HSC
ok-i'll have a try of that, but that looks like it will only sort SuSe, if that, what about windows? I probably ought to mention that i'm using an athlon motherboard, so i'd guess it would be a different varient of the Realtec AC'97 to that on intel boards, dunno if this is coreect or whether it makes any difference, but i thought it was harmless enough to mention...

igetboredeasily

HSC
ok-got it sorted, how much of a fool am i? i was helping someone with a corrupt hard disk, and when i took the case off my pc, a connector had breen leaning against a heatsink and kinda softened and broke-dunno how the hell that happened or pc it could get that hot, but i replaced the connector and now it's all fine and dandy :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)