suspicious (1 Viewer)

beststreet

HSC
N/A
k, at our school of 130 students (roughly ranked about 350), we only had one student get a band 5 for english advanced. one band 5.

the top mark for english advanced was 80..... this is not right, i got 74 (ranked 34th) and our top student only got 79. isnt 80 also the state median for the last few years in advanced english?

our school should be chasing it up with BoS tomorrow, either a box of papers went-a-missing or we have been doing the wrong texts in class. either way, i am enraged. thats my rant. discuss.

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
Well how did the previous year do in Adv. english?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
k.

Hmmm a lot of variables that depend on how well your school and the cohort preform in the externals. Maybe your assessments were marked easier\not as hard compared to the rest of the state, as I said to hard to say I guess BOS will hold the answers.

Although it has happened I doubt a box went missing and I very very much doubt you are doing the wrong texts.

Hmmm enraged?

Last edited:

beststreet

HSC
N/A
many band 6's were achieved however in the english extension courses 1 & 2

.........................................enraged

BlackDragon

HSC
maybe your year just didn't do as well?
lol. you got a bad result as a cohort and you automatically turn to bos and say something must be wrong?

psychochondriac

HSC
hmm that is a bit odd. some people have been saying its a state wide thing though, and i don't think that's true.

i go to a little country school with only 10 people doing advanced english, and only three people that should really be doing it. we three got 88, 81 and 78. not stellar marks, but then, i don't think there's a conspiracy either.

unless you mean just against your school? in which case... i don't know. hehe.

BlackDragon

HSC
also.

beststreet said:
either a box of papers went-a-missing or we have been doing the wrong texts in class. either way, i am enraged. thats my rant. discuss.
that is just crap. there is no chance you've been doing the wrong texts in class cause you'd definitely know about it and you can't blame the board of studies in a rage because your year had a bad performance relative to what your schools rank was.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
beststreet said:
k, at our school of 130 students (roughly ranked about 350), we only had one student get a band 5 for english advanced. one band 5.

the top mark for english advanced was 80..... this is not right, i got 74 (ranked 34th) and our top student only got 79. isnt 80 also the state median for the last few years in advanced english?

our school should be chasing it up with BoS tomorrow, either a box of papers went-a-missing or we have been doing the wrong texts in class. either way, i am enraged. thats my rant. discuss.
well i can see why you think its suspicious but its also very possible that its right. your year could just have done badly overall. i know our class of 2005 went pretty shithouse, like even for us (omg we shat all over them lol).....but i wouldnt say its a conspiracy or anything, simply bad luck perhaps.

helper

HSC
N/A
Do any of your teachers have marking experience? A few years a similar thing occured to a North Coast school in English and what happened was the teachers lacked the experience to mark according to the standards and people expected a lot higher marks than they achieved.

If a box of books went missing it would have shown up on the booklet count which is the first clerical check that occurs.

beststreet

HSC
N/A
yes my english teacher marks the hsc english papers every year (except this yr and last yr), not sure of the other teachers. i am critical of the english staffs ability at our school, but i know we are at par with our progress to other schools. I just think its insane that the top mark was 80, and that roughly 35% of the state did better than our 1/55 ranked student. that losing a box suggestion was some uhhhh light humour, theres a hundred ways that our marks could have been miscalculated/recorded. that $12 clerical recheck system does work, just search these forums for the people who have been ripped off before and recieved mark/uai compensation

i also meant E4 for extension, not band 6

psychochondriac

HSC
beststreet said:
that $12 clerical recheck system does work, just search these forums for the people who have been ripped off before and recieved mark/uai compensation
yes, but a whole year?

Affinity

HSC
Maybe your school is the mythical average school :p

Optophobia

HSC
Band 6's in English were rare this year (as people noted on the results thread).

sly_skittle

HSC
Our school had about 50 sit the advanced paper and not one got over 90 either. The top mark was in the high 80s and about 5 people got over 80 in total. usually i would expect this from the school i'm at but this year we had two mega genius's who always got over 90. The scary thing is that our teachers have been marking the HSC for years and I thought that they had taught us really well but once I got in the exam I didn't know what to write.

I think that the problem this year was that the questions for some of the modules were really specific and unexpected. At school we're taught how to answer to the general syllabus as well as some obvious specifics. We have never been taught what to do if we don't understand the question.

I mean they need to explain how we go about this if we don't understand what they are asking. This had never happened to me before so I went kinda crazy in the exam writing down all that I had been taught from the syllabus and trying to refer to words and phrases in the question which I didn't understand.

By not answering the question I would have lost a lot of marks. But if the teachers had taught us a system to use when we didn't understand the question- like how to make it sound like you understood or if you should just write a small amount geared to the aspects which you understood, then we would have been able to maximise these marks.

I think that this is what stuffed up a lot of schools- the teachers didn't give them advice on what to do if you got unexpected questions.

Last edited:

LaMPshade

HSC
sly_skittle said:
Our school had about 50 sit the advanced paper and not one got over 90 either. The top mark was in the high 80s and about 5 people got over 80 in total. usually i would expect this from the school i'm at but this year we had two mega genius's who always got over 90. The scary this is that our teachers have been marking the HSC for years and I thought that they had taught us really well but once I got in the exam I didn't know what to write.

I think that the problem this year was that the questions for some of the modules were really specific and unexpected. At school we're taught how to answer to the general syllabus as well as some obvious specifics. We have never been taught what to do if we don't understand the question.

I mean they need to explain how we go about this if we don't understand what they are asking. This had never happened to me before so I went kinda crazy in the exam writing down all that I had been taught from the syllabus and trying to refer to words and phrases in the question which I didn't understand.

By not answering the question I would have lost a lot of marks. But if the teachers had taught us a system to use when we didn't understand the question- like how to make it sound like you understood or if you should just write a small amount geared to the aspects which you understood, then we would have been able to maximise these marks.

I think that this is what stuffed up a lot of schools- the teachers didn't give them advice on what to do if you got unexpected questions.
i totally agree. i had trouble understanding some of the questions, especially the King Lear module which i spent overtime with just thinking how i should answer the question. i mean writing out an essay based on techniques and what not is not going to do alot if you don't answer the question.

Redkoala

HSC
It's funny. Our school's LOWEST English mark was 84, and I was thinking maybe there was an error there. Perhaps they swapped half of ours with half of yours lol!

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
:O lowest mark of 84 you either have a small cohort or really smart elitist school.

Redkoala

HSC
haha. yea, it's Baulko. But we still have a few stragglers who I thought would get lower than that, and usually do in internal exams.

mel4dan

sly_skittle said:
Our school had about 50 sit the advanced paper and not one got over 90 either. The top mark was in the high 80s and about 5 people got over 80 in total. usually i would expect this from the school i'm at but this year we had two mega genius's who always got over 90. The scary thing is that our teachers have been marking the HSC for years and I thought that they had taught us really well but once I got in the exam I didn't know what to write.

Our school was the same. The student who was ranked 1st only got 89 despite getting 100% in the Trial. So figure that out. I was ranked 3rd and I got 83, which I was happy with, but then people who were ranked in the 20s got the same mark. English seems to be impossible to get a band 6, so maybe this isn't suspicious at all. I'm sure my school put 100 in for the assessment mark of the girl ranked 1st, but then she ended up with 89. Only BOS will know what happened...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)