Suv (1 Viewer)

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Hi all, I'm an international student & thinking of taking a Master degree in USYD.
I'm also thinking of getting a room in SUV. Do you have any advise for me?
- Is it centrally heated and/or has air-con and/or has balcony?
- I know that aside from our weekly charge, they also charge resident extra $40 for meal in SUV. Is the food edible so we can spend the $40 there rather than keep it unused? =)
- Can my family/friends visit & stay in my room?

I really love the 1-bed apt with the balcony & access thru the bridge, looks nice, but quite costly =)
Perhaps I'll settle for the 2-bed with balcony or if I really wanna save money, I apply for the 4-bed with balcony. Sadly, only 2-bed outta 4 has a balcony (by seeing the floorplan). Seems unfair ya think, ppl pay the same price but allocated different type of room.

Anyway, tell me anything.. I wanna know.. Thx in advance..

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
don't really know abt the accomodation, but as i heard from alot of people, renting and sharing are always cheaper than living in campus... plus, since the gvt cut funding for university, u never know when they will be asking for a higher rent...

purely personal opinion tho...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Renting out would be cheaper/better, but if you can't look for accomm it isn't THAT bad (from what I've heard UTS is worse).

It isn't heated, nor has air con but in winter it doesn't get cold (a jumper and you won't be shivering as long as the blinds are shut), and in summer it isn't that bad.

The food is edible if you only eat dinner and get it cooked, but it can also be used on milk and stuff.

Not really for anything more then an occassional night, a share house would be better if this happens regularly (but then you have issues with the other sharers).

jokay22

HSC
N/A
UTS is worse? Why? Which one? I'm thinking of applying for Gumal Ngurang too (if I choose UTS over USYD).

SUV isn't heated? Are u sure it's still manageable? I mean, normally houses has heater tho not necessarily air-con, hasn't it?

Did you - Xayma - ever live/visited SUV before?
Anyone in this forum live in SUV AT ALL? =p
I need 1st person opinion..

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well considering I live in SUV you can take my word on the heating thing.

BraindrainedAsh has commented that SUV is better then the UTS accomm previously.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
I believe u then.. =)

So, all in all, would u recommend SUV Xayma?
I've an eye for Women's College & Int'l House.
But it's costlier than SUV, tho they're catered.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Don't know about Women's and Int'l could be better. SUV is ok not great or anything but.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Xayma, I learned that SUV also provide internet access $170/year.
Is that all, or is there additional charge (per monthly/per MB/etc)?

Sanchez__

HSC
I live at Wesley College and would probably advise either spending a bit more and going to a college or renting somewhere for cheaper. College is way more fun, you will meet heaps of people and it is a very easy lifestyle as catered and room cleaned once a week. All you really have to do is wash your clothes every so often. Everyone I know at suv recons its ok but not that great. It doesnt seem like they really get to know many other people there or really do much together.

In terms of heating etc the weather isnt so cold that you really need a heater. Most of the college i stay at has either internal heating or get a bar heater. I have a bar heater but never use it really so its not that big an issue if you own a jumper or two.

I pay for internet through the uni and i assume it would be similar at SUV. It costs about 4c per meg depending if international or local site. If you dont download big things its not too costly to surf the web a bit.

Anyway hard to know what you should go for without knowing more about you but College is great so I definately think you should look at them all and think about applying to a few of them. Womens and Sancta are just chicks Wesley, Johns and Andrews are coed. Also dont worry about the religeous affiliation it plays no part in anything really.

Sanchez__

HSC
Also UTS sucks compared to Usyd not just saying that because i go to usyd, UTS just sucks in comparison.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
jokay22 said:
Xayma, I learned that SUV also provide internet access $170/year.
Is that all, or is there additional charge (per monthly/per MB/etc)?
I believe there's a ridiculously low download cap.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Thx Sanchez, actually I'm thinking of applying for Women's College too. But since I'm a PG student, they'll charge me abt $330/wk incl. 3 meals a day. Dunno for sure whether its ensuite, cleaned, or anything..

Care to explain in what aspect does UTS sucks? =p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I believe there's a ridiculously low download cap.
Its more for the phone line rental, voicemail and the like. You go through the university for the internet, so a wireless provider would probably be better if you plan on staying for the entire contract.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
VSU - Volunatry Student Unionism
SUV - Sydney University Village
USV - Unemployed Super Villains (Sydney Punk Band)

moderngirl

HSC
some people make freudian slips and get USU and VSU confused.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Xayma said:
Its more for the phone line rental, voicemail and the like. You go through the university for the internet, so a wireless provider would probably be better if you plan on staying for the entire contract.
What do u mean? Can we actually use the internet in SUV?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes, you just have to pay through the university.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Xayma & ALL do u have any recommendation, which wireless provider should I use?
Which one u ppl currently use?
Do u happen to know that if I already have a wireless router (wifi) in my laptop, should I still buy the access card (eg: from unwired or iburst).

Thx.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)