Swearing in Showcase (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
does anybody know about the coarse language restrictions for showcase?
my major work has 2 swear words in it.
does this mean i won't have any chance at getting into Showcase?
if it does than that stinks. i only just realised that it could be a possibility. i wasn't going to censor my MW in planning to get into Showcase but it doesn't really seem fair that people can't be regonised purely because of 'risky' content.
just like drama or music or any other major works or performances, it seems really unfair.
perhaps i am just bitter at the fact that due to two words in my major work that i've worked on for 12 months, sweated, cried and whinged over for just as long, might not have a chance to be recognised officially. i suppose they are fairly good reasons to be bitter though, aren't they?

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
yes, happens all the time. betrayal of modern man in 2003 had "fucking prince" in it, always happens, as long as it's appropriate, it's okay

steffo

steph
HSC
tez0r said:
yes, happens all the time. betrayal of modern man in 2003 had "fucking prince" in it, always happens, as long as it's appropriate, it's okay
oh really? that's awesome
i know onstage for drama never let's anything with swearing in.
it seems totally inappropriate seeing as the composers and creators are young people... who swear and root and experiment with substances and are notably rebellious to make a generalisation.
LUCKY THOUGH!
fuck is an effective word.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
um if you don't get into showcase it won't matter anyway
as a question - the showcase works are ones that get 50 externally, right? But they pick and choose....

I said crap, if that makes you feel better :p

steffo

steph
HSC
Sweets said:
Wow you guys are aiming for the showcase?
why not? we all should be. we rule.
plus i do performance poetry and there are only about 15 or so people in the state (if that) who do it, and i think mine's pretty hot.

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
I didn't even contemplate that it'd be an issue. I think two seperate characters swear (including 'fucking' and 'asshole' hehe) in my MW a total of three times, but it's a matter of character development. I didn't just throw in some swear words to make it sound cool.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Jayphen said:
I didn't even contemplate that it'd be an issue. I think two seperate characters swear (including 'fucking' and 'asshole' hehe) in my MW a total of three times, but it's a matter of character development. I didn't just throw in some swear words to make it sound cool.
that mylo remix is the shit aye

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
Mine was in the 2004 showcase and i said "bastard" although its not exactly hardcore swearing. I remember 2002 there was one that had some pretty graphic sexual imagery, something about him wanting to see his cock shoved down that bitch's throat. Loosely phrased. I think basically as long as it serves a purpose and isnt gratuitous, swearing is fine. If you think it could be interpreted as pointless, explain it in your reflection statement to cover your back.

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
There really isn't enough space in the reflection statement to explain why my characters swear a couple of times in the story. If I went into that much detail, my reflection statement would be longer than my story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)