Swimming or jogging to lose weight? (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
Would swimming or jogging for 1 hour be more effective for losing weight?

Edit: or 1 hour of skipping?

Last edited:

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
probably 1 hr of skipping
good luck doing 1 hr of skipping

otherwise i would go for 1 hr of jogging, but i don't swim. you just need something that keeps your heart rate up fairly high for a sustained period

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't do any of that for an hour. Develop a HIT program for all of them (except swimming I guess) and rotate. It would be more effective and take much less time.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
ummm unless you want to be the next ian 'gay' thorpe then go for swimming, other than that, stick with jogging.

don't be like 'i wanna lose weight and start jogging, the next day you decided not to because you're lazy or your legs hurt' stick to your exercise and don't back down

blistk

HSC
Yeah try do one hour of jogging. If you can't jog for one hour continuously, jog for bits and then walk, just make sure you cover that hour :) And stick to it! Follow chicky_pie's advice, and don;t back down! Do it everyday. Skip if you have free time at home! It's definately better than watching tv.

And, skip when you can't jog or don't feel like leaving home!

HSC
respect goes out to anyone who can skip for an hr.

yeah jogging is probably more effective.

Danger

HSC
Thanks for all the advice people. I think skipping is the most convenient for me at the moment.

I have skipped for 1 hour before, with small breaks (to change the tv channel), but I can only keep it up for 2-3 days a week and become extremely lazy afterwards.

So if I keep a balanced diet, skip for 30-1 hour a day 6 days a week, it'll work right?

quik.

HSC
I would go for swimming out of the two (or three with skipping thrown in). Swimming won't terrorise your joints, and running on pavement and roads has a tendency to do that. Swimming also involves a lot more muscles than running, as far as I know. But for conveniance sake you might not be able to swim all the time, so I'd go with the person who suggested rotating what you do. It'll help you reach your goals and stop you getting bored.

Last edited:

NinjaSauce

HSC
pattii said:
swimming, jogging increase muscle development.
Oh Yeah, These guys are huge!

Jogging is completely counter-intuitive to building a muscular body. Not to mention definately not the best way to train for any goals, except being able to run further/longer.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Don't jog/run if your trying to loose weight this is a high cardio endurance exercise. It's more effective if you take longer brisk walks if your trying to loose weight.

Swimming isn't bad either since it's not overly strenuous and not high cardio, but jogging is more conveniant, i guess.

quik.

HSC
Skin is pretty elastic. While I'm all for getting people into lifting, cardio alone is unlikely to give you spare skin unless you're biggest loser material.

hu5sla

HSC
best to eat good

look up complex carbs, simple carbs, protein on google about losing weight and stuff like that

before exercising consume complex carbs and protein and then start working out
you can do intervals which mean you do swimming for 20 mins rest, 20mins again rest and so on

Nat3skiz

HSC
Swimming is better for the joints and also tones up your muscles overall whereas jogging focuses mainly on one group. Its also exceptionally good for your lungs. As long as you are burning more energy than you are consuming you will lose weight. Jogging is good but over time will wear down your cartilage. Skipping is also a great form of cardio but cross training will give you best results. I personally recommend swimming if you have convenient access to pool facilities.

rozymisty

HSC
chicky_pie said:
ummm unless you want to be the next ian 'gay' thorpe then go for swimming, other than that, stick with jogging.

don't be like 'i wanna lose weight and start jogging, the next day you decided not to because you're lazy or your legs hurt' stick to your exercise and don't back down
and become the next gay matt shirvington????

swimming is really good for you, definately increases your lung capacity, gets you fit coz of the resistance and is less stressful on your body, especially if you are just getting back into the routine of exercise.

And whatever you do, dont just suddenly do 1hr of anything, just build up!

I got myself a skipping rope at the boxing day sales, once its stopped raining, i will start skipping. Ceiling is too low to skip inside lol-last time i skiped inside i broke the light bulb cover thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)