syd students (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what's ur overall opinion on all areas of the uni? like it / not?

Generator

HSC
N/A
All areas?

I doubt that anyone has an opinion on all areas, but Carslaw, Eastern Avenue and the Wentworth building are all ok.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
well, like anyplace there are good and bad parts. the newer buildings and those that have been redone are okay, like manning and most of carslaw, but others are pretty shonky, like wallace lecture theatre has huge big cracks running down the walls, which worry me slightly... and the agriculture buildings are just wood and plasterboard - i think they'd blow over in a strong wind. but the physics building is nice, and chem is not too bad, and eastern avenue lecture theatre is very nice. i do feel sorry for the entomology lecturers though, their offices are shoved in the basement of badham, which smells like chemicals. I bet their kids will all have like 3 eyes.

sif not 99

yeah sydney has the maddest campus for sure, best moment was at a usyd open day last year when the guide bends down picks up some grass and looks at the UTS monolith and says "grass see, u dont get this at UTS" which is true, as for campus spirit, feeling, the opportunities to get involved and what not sydney uni is second to none.

mannings is kewl so is the holme building but also depends on what your studying, this sem im doing commerce stuff so you dont get over to the manning bar/building that much but your lectures and what not are all in the nicest lecture rooms as well.

Did anyone else get a tut last sem or this one in the madsen building? I found it really disconcerting to be 2 floors underground and have to walk through a glass blowing workshop to get there!

Left-ism

HSC
usyd facilities were a bit dodgy and the engineering students were a bit wacko.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the problem is they normally close off the whole grassy area. i knoe it would get wrecked, but i think it would be nice to sit there normally

Generator

HSC
N/A
There is more than one grass area, not to mention Victoria Park...

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Most are good/excellent, some bad, a few downright shocking.
Chances are though you'll never find/need to use these places, it took me a while and I've been almost everywhere on campus. eg. certain elevated interior courtyards of certain buildings that once HAD potential but now are covered in organic stuff. :rolleyes:

Victoria Park is definitely great. Try lvl 5/top of education building or back/front of physics lawns if you come.

lol, though you probably meant all facets of the uni, instead of just geographical attractions. In that case, I'll speak for only the 1st year science curriculum, and say it's good-ish unless you do special stuff, then it's absolutely mad.

jnothman

dismember
HSC
Usyd has a lot of heritage in its buildings. Sometimes you wish the heritage was only on the outside and that Eastern Avenue lecture theatre comfort could be shared by the General Lecture Theatre's wooden benches, tables just a few centimetres too far from the chairs to be in any way comfortable...

But the atmosphere outside is great and it beats there hands down against say UTS or UNSW which are concrete empires.

As someone said, Victoria Park is also there to use, great for soccer matches or just chills there...

The bars, etc... Plenty of entertainment.

Anyway, don't choose a uni on the basis of its interior design =P

meh

gggrrr for all those currently enrolled at usyd: i hate yas. You could say I 'fell in love' with the campus, i reeeeeeeaaaaallly want to go there it seems like such a blast.

Bring on the exams already! I want these next 6 weeks to fly

tlodg

HSC
N/A
the buildings look much more beautiful and dreamy at night
food is ok to me, not as bad i some would say
and normally unis dont have superb food so i wouldnt expect too much

bennychanman

Stratttys (That's Strathfield, for all those who a
HSC
wow everyone has such love for the uni...

meh i don't. the buildings are alright i suppose - eastern avenue's good.
somehow i managed to get screwed over this semester and have classes all over the uni: merewether, BOSCH (OMG I HATE THIS PLACE...I'M IN THE WOODEN BENCH ONE FOR 2 LECTURES!), Carslaw, brennan, P.N.R building, old teacher's college, and yes, MACKIE....(yes, the mackie on the OTHER side of parramatta road...the other side of the footbridge.. . .)

umm yeah most of the buildings are pretty ugly and drab? Chemistry building for example, merewether, mackie (which looks like an out of date hospital), carslaw, bosch...yeah basically everywhere i'm in.

meanwhile WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE TO EAT? i swear i cannot find 1 decent food place. The kebab shop's acceptable...but the rest of the food on campus sucks...and no i don't have time to go to newtown on my lunch breaks cos my lunch breaks are only like an hr...

and i'm not going to broadway oporto either......cos i work at oporto.....*shudder*.

frootloop

HSC
I quite like USyd. Can't imagine going to UNSW or UTS... or *gasp* somewhere else. :lol: :rolleyes:

I don't know... I think that the atmosphere at USyd suits me more (not that it really matters or anything) but I like the whole worn-in feeling of USyd. I don't like when things are new and scary. It's... intimidating.

I like places that feel warm and inviting... USyd's kind of like those old sneakers that look as though they've been to hell and back but they've moulded so perfectly to your feet that it feels as though you're walking on air with every step you take. <3

However, I do hate Bosch! That building(s?) is in the middle of nowhere and it's a pain having to walk all the way there and back. :burn:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I like the sports and aquatic centre
not that I go to the gym there
but that it has this special smell (maybe its from the swimming area? dunt no)
that brings back memories
i spontaneously walk in there sometimes
and feel refreshed afterwards

tlodg

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
has anyone actually seen latvia around campus.
Nah.
A present for you: (just the photo for your eyes, not the actual toys....sorry)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
*Love-2-Hate-U* said:
yeah I have. She's pretty.
See, that just proves you haven't seen me.
are you ditto?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)