Sydney boys 2023 questions (1 Viewer)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 11.17.31 am.png
how do they go from the first line to the second?

scaryshark09

HSC
Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 11.18.56 am.png
how do you do part (iii)?
also im not super confident with the rest, so i would appreciate if someone could go through them all please

liamkk112

HSC
View attachment 40453
how do you do part (iii)?
also im not super confident with the rest, so i would appreciate if someone could go through them all please
for i, b>1, meaning that arg(z1) is between pi/4 and pi/2 since when b = 1 the argument is pi/4 (tan inverse 1) and otherwise it increases.
for z2, 0<c<1: so arg(z2) is between 0 and -pi/4 since when c = 0, argument is 0, and when c=1 the argument is -pi/4
u can just pick any points where those conditions are met basically

for ii), u need to pick z3 such that there is aline from z2 to z3 passing through the origin with same modulus of z1 that u drew, there should be two (notice that z2 modulus is less than z1, so u ahve a point in quadrant 2 and quadrant 4, just draw it and it should make more sense)

for iii), essentially it boils down to noticing that the points are collinear. In the case where z3 is in quadrant 4, k is simply -(alpha +beta), because the complex number needs to rotate z1 clockwise to have the same argument as z2, so thats just the argument of z1 + argument of z2, but negated bc clockwise rotation.
in the case where z3 is in quadrant 2; using some trig, in this case z3 is a 180 degree rotation of z2 (collinear, if that makes sense? idk how to say this), and in this case 180 = k + alpha + beta, meaning that k = 180 - alpha - beta.

i think this is correct, if someone could double check :)

Luukas.2

HSC
The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that

Applied to this problem:

If the above is unclear, you can think of what I am doing here as making a substitution of so that the upper boundary matches the form required by the FTC. Then, the Chain Rule can be applied to modifying the derivative to match the new variable: as . Hence:

Note that the solution provided has a mistake i the second last line, where it shows but should show , as it does in the final line of the solution.

Luukas.2

HSC
for i, b>1, meaning that arg(z1) is between pi/4 and pi/2 since when b = 1 the argument is pi/4 (tan inverse 1) and otherwise it increases.
for z2, 0<c<1: so arg(z2) is between 0 and -pi/4 since when c = 0, argument is 0, and when c=1 the argument is -pi/4
u can just pick any points where those conditions are met basically

for ii), u need to pick z3 such that there is aline from z2 to z3 passing through the origin with same modulus of z1 that u drew, there should be two (notice that z2 modulus is less than z1, so u ahve a point in quadrant 2 and quadrant 4, just draw it and it should make more sense)

for iii), essentially it boils down to noticing that the points are collinear. In the case where z3 is in quadrant 4, k is simply -(alpha +beta), because the complex number needs to rotate z1 clockwise to have the same argument as z2, so thats just the argument of z1 + argument of z2, but negated bc clockwise rotation.
in the case where z3 is in quadrant 2; using some trig, in this case z3 is a 180 degree rotation of z2 (collinear, if that makes sense? idk how to say this), and in this case 180 = k + alpha + beta, meaning that k = 180 - alpha - beta.

To help with the drawing, Z3 lies on a circle with OZ1 as radius and O as the centre (because of the equal moduli). Z2 lies in the fourth quadrant and is inside this circle, so after extending OZ2 in both directions, the two possible locations of Z3 are the intersections of this extended line with the circle.

scaryshark09

HSC

Screen Shot 2023-10-13 at 11.51.31 am.png
thanks, for part iii i got the same answer as you, but the solutions have this. is it possible the solutions are wrong, or, maybe is it becuase beta is actually negative?

Luukas.2

HSC
for part i, would the angle between the positive x-axis and z2 be 'beta' OR '-beta'?

like what is the difference between an argument and principal argumnet?
Principal Argument is the argument

And, the acute angle you mention is

scaryshark09

HSC
so in this case, would the answer given be correct or wrong?
i think it would be correct cause beta just becomes negative

but what is the differnce between an argument and principal argumnet?

liamkk112

HSC
so like how does this chance things?

so like a normal argument of 7pi/4 would be a principal argument of -pi/4 ??
yes, basically. all it means is that in this case beta can ONLY be between -pi/4 and 0, instead of between 7pi/4 and 2pi, 15pi/4 and 4pi, etc..

scaryshark09

HSC
is the prinicple argumant ever the same as the normal argument?

if so, when is it the same?

carrotsss

HSC

the normal argument encompasses all values, so between -pi and pi it is the same as the principal argument but otherwise it is not

Luukas.2

HSC
so in this case, would the answer given be correct or wrong?
The answers given are correct.

The angle between OZ1 and OZ2 is . So, to get to the direction of OZ2 from OZ1 requires a clockwise rotation by and hence is achieved by multiplying by .

The angle between OZ1 and OZ3 (in quadrant 2, which is the direction of -OZ2) is . So, to get to the direction of the second quadrant OZ3 from OZ1 requires an anti-clockwise rotation by and hence is achieved by multiplying by .

Luukas.2

HSC

I can write using the Principal Argument of , which is .

I can express the same number as

These are all the same because the argument represents the same angle.

In other words:

and the complex number has infinitely many equally-valid arguments... but only one of them satisfies the domain requirement to be the Principal Argument, which is

Most of the time, if we report an argument, we will choose the principal argument, but not necessarily always.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)