• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sydney Law Careers Fair (1 Viewer)

L

LaraB

melsc said:
even 90 is looking anattainable at the moment :(
well...put it this way - i was at baulko so yeah scaling comes into it...but my in school final assessment marks before scaling and stuff were anywhere from 76-96

i ended up wit almost all 90's n a UAI in the top end of the 90's..

so i mean...dont get too pessimistic:) coz i did and in the endi got well above the mark i needed:)

and keep in mind that in school counts for half only - so even if u think you'e messed up a few assessments, u've still got trials and teh hsc and probly a few more assesments here and there so you got plenty of chances to improve your marks:)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
LaraB said:
well...put it this way - i was at baulko so yeah scaling comes into it...but my in school final assessment marks before scaling and stuff were anywhere from 76-96

i ended up wit almost all 90's n a UAI in the top end of the 90's..

so i mean...dont get too pessimistic:) coz i did and in the endi got well above the mark i needed:)

and keep in mind that in school counts for half only - so even if u think you'e messed up a few assessments, u've still got trials and teh hsc and probly a few more assesments here and there so you got plenty of chances to improve your marks:)
You guys are so sweet and encouraging but i really should stop hijacking ur thread... Thanks guys :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
what do you mean stop hijacking. i've only just begun >=)

say a school ranked at about 200. that will determine some sort of scaling for sure?!

santaslayer

HSC
Not really....?

That's just like saying because you went to a shit school you're doomed to stuff the HSC up because everyone around you is stoopid, or,

I'm set for life because I go to James Ruse.

???

L

LaraB

santaslayer said:
Not really....?

That's just like saying because you went to a shit school you're doomed to stuff the HSC up because everyone around you is stoopid, or,

I'm set for life because I go to James Ruse.

???

i agree that that logic is silly

but school ranking and prior performance does have an impact...

eg my in school raw mark for maths was in the low 60's, but my scaled in school mark after going thru UAC was 80... i had heapsa friends at other school who got similar marks and didnt get scaled...

i think it has more to do with the standard of exams n stuff in your school compred to hsc ones as far as if you're getting 50 at ruse or baulko or whatever, from my experience at least, that mark would be higher at another school as the standard of work and students are generally lower.

but that said, school isnt a reason not to do well:) there's plenty of resrouces around that can help out if you do go to a school that isnt exactly jumpin up and downh trying to help you out:)

santaslayer

HSC
School assessments across different schools cannot be used to accurately measure the performance of a person's ability. Not even if it was the same test since different markers have different criteria.

One reason how a school's performance/ranking could influence an individual's performance is the culture and work ethic they're constantly surrounded by. Sydney Girls is crazy, I think they're motto is Labor Omnia Vincit...Work Conquers All.....YUCK!

Anyway...I'm gonna go and check the careers fair out in sydney....they better have heaps of freebies!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
OT guys OT.
santaslayer said:
Sydney Girls is crazy, I think they're motto is Labor Omnia Vincit...Work Conquers All.....YUCK!
try JR's Gesta Non Verba. i think it describes them quite aptly :)

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
yeah, from my pov, in my course; the people who went to the selective schools are not doing as well as the people who went to schools in the burbs! :)
[qualifier: does not apply to the numerous number of ex-SBHS students currently doing ComLaw (naturally ;)) at UNSW.]

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
small reminder, Careers Fair on this Friday...

list of exhibitors:

Abbott Tout Lawyers

Allens Arthur Robinson

Attorney Generals Department - NSW

Australian Business Lawyers

Australian Taxation Office

Baker & McKenzie

Blake Dawson Waldron

Clayton Utz

Corrs Chambers Westgarth

Coudert Brothers

Deacons

Deloitte

Department of Defence - Defence Materiel Organisation

Dibbs Barker Gosling Lawyers

Ebsworth & Ebsworth

Ernst & Young

Freehills

Gadens Lawyers

Gilbert + Tobin

Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe

Henry Davis York

Hunt & Hunt Lawyers

KPMG

La Trobe University

Legal Workshop

Macquarie Bank

Mallesons Stephen Jaques

Middletons

Minter Ellison

NSW Young Lawyers

Phillips Fox

PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal

Raj Lawyers

Sparke Helmore Lawyers

Sydney Morning Herald

Taxation Institute of Australia

The College of Law

The University of Hong Kong

TressCox

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Frigid said:
[qualifier: does not apply to the numerous number of ex-SBHS students currently doing ComLaw (naturally ;)) at UNSW.]
thats coz the people who went to the top schools but ended up at uts are the rejects of their schools- they're all dreaming of transfers, but thats all they're on about :p

the unsw and usyd students are the smart ones ;)

sugared plum

HSC
hahah & smart = is this in the exam? (repeat) // must get HD (inscribed in flesh) // how long are yr notes (to ppl in lift)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr EaZy said:
thats coz the people who went to the top schools but ended up at uts are the rejects of their schools- they're all dreaming of transfers, but thats all they're on about :p
-_-" i went to UTS >.< and transferred...

newais, the Careers Fair was fun... hope everyone got a lot of goodies...

the best parts:

- talking to a lovely Crown Prosecutor at the AG stall. evil guy, telling me i can't change the world.
- talking to Alex Apoifis, Bakers & McKenzie summerclerk, SBHS Old Boy, final-year at UTS, soccer pro-maniac.
- jumping into the Gadens ball pit (thus getting blacklisted by every other firm as a 'fun-loving' person - was just indulging my inner child). oh and their cute asian summerclerk ;)
- seeing a lot of law ppl from other unis
- being told by a certain partner, in response to my question, "so how do i tell the top-tier firms apart?", "we're all giving you the same marketing bullshit anyway." ;)
- taking digicam pictures of all the stalls :)
- best freebie of the day goes to TressCox: a desktop clock ;)
- smallest showbag goes to Gadens, measuring a conservative 20x20cm, containing: partypopper (1), small invitation card from Uncle Mikey (1), mentos (1)
- biggest advertising booklet goes to phillipsfox, printed on sheets of A2 paper
- wacky novelties include: rock-climbing hook thingoes (HellerEhrman), 6-color flower highlighter (Young Lawyers), squidgy shark (Gilbert+Tobin) and sentence-building fridge magnets (Baker&McKenzie).

sugared plum

HSC
you got heaps!
i want the colour-flower highlighter!!
but fridge magnets are endlessly amusing

santaslayer

HSC
Frigid said:
small reminder, Careers Fair on this Friday...

list of exhibitors:

Abbott Tout Lawyers

Allens Arthur Robinson

Attorney Generals Department - NSW

Australian Business Lawyers

Australian Taxation Office

Baker & McKenzie

Blake Dawson Waldron

Clayton Utz

Corrs Chambers Westgarth

Coudert Brothers

Deacons

Deloitte

Department of Defence - Defence Materiel Organisation

Dibbs Barker Gosling Lawyers

Ebsworth & Ebsworth

Ernst & Young

Freehills

Gadens Lawyers

Gilbert + Tobin

Heller Ehrman White & McAuliffe

Henry Davis York

Hunt & Hunt Lawyers

KPMG

La Trobe University

Legal Workshop

Macquarie Bank

Mallesons Stephen Jaques

Middletons

Minter Ellison

NSW Young Lawyers

Phillips Fox

PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal

Raj Lawyers

Sparke Helmore Lawyers

Sydney Morning Herald

Taxation Institute of Australia

The College of Law

The University of Hong Kong

TressCox
The University of HK? WoW!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I went... got enough pens and notebooks to last me the rest of my degree! I cant wait to do a clerkship, unfortunately I'm only in 2nd year, so I have a while to wait. Everyone seemed really nice; the lady at the young lawyers stand talked my ear off though! Clayton people were nice, as were the MQ bank people. I dont really want to get into any of the commercial law stuff, so really none of those firms would accept me.. maybe I'll just lie, and say I want to do banking and finance! ;)

Overall, I really enjoyed mingling with the reps. I'll go again next year for some more pens and free water!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
just some piggies for ppl who missed out yesterday - excuse the shakey camera:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)