• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sydney Swans ruining AFL (1 Viewer)

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
AFL is comparatively unpopular to its league counterparts in this state and this is completely due to the Swans. Here are a few apt reasons:

-Their silly red strip is too bright and makes them look like showgirls pussyfooting around
-Their name 'swans' sounds like something out of a beauty contest.
- Their game plan resolves around flooding defense, scunging/rucking/handballing their way forward.
-They play ugly, unattractive, boring football with low scores, lack of free-flowing ball movement and negative 'shutting down' of the other team.
-The team lacks talent and there are no real stars of the game (except for perhaps goodes and hall). The crux of the team are small and lack kicking talent - preferring to run in packs and handball their way forward.
-Every game is live and free-to-air, allowing many people access to this visual junkheap.

I propose they:

-change their name to something less laughable like the 'bullants'
-change their playing strip to something with more pizazz
-Sack their coach for someone who knows how football should be played
-Sack half the midfield for players who can actually kick the ball.

[/vent]

crispy13

HSC
Smokey_22 said:
AFL is comparatively unpopular to its league counterparts in this state and this is completely due to the Swans. Here are a few apt reasons:

-Their silly red strip is too bright and makes them look like showgirls pussyfooting around
Disagree, the strip is fine, it there club's colours, red and white, what more can be said?

Smokey_22 said:
They have been the Swans for more that 70 years, first as South Melbourne, then as Sydney. Its now a tradition.

Smokey_22 said:
- Their game plan resolves around flooding defense, scunging/rucking/handballing their way forward.
Agree, not pretty

Smokey_22 said:
-They play ugly, unattractive, boring football with low scores, lack of free-flowing ball movement and negative 'shutting down' of the other team.
Agree, perhaps they have been watching to much rugby league lately, it is a very sad way to play Australian Rules Football

Smokey_22 said:
-The team lacks talent and there are no real stars of the game (except for perhaps goodes and hall). The crux of the team are small and lack kicking talent - preferring to run in packs and handball their way forward.
The team has some very talented players, Ryan O Keefe, Tadhg Kenelly, Leo Barry, Michael O Loughlin just to name a few. The problem is they way they are being told to play.

Smokey_22 said:
-Every game is live and free-to-air, allowing many people access to this visual junkheap.
What should they do, telecast West Coast games instead?

Smokey_22 said:
I propose they:

[/vent][/QUOTE]

They wont change the name as it will cause a huge up roar, AFL clubs are very proud of their tradition and so are their supporters.
-Playing Strip is fine
-Paul Roos probably isn't the best coach out there but he knows his football, it is a pity about the strategies that he chooses.
-The midfield would be excellent with a different style.

Rugby League being more popular than Australian Football in this state is NOT the fault of the Sydney Swans, they have done alot for the game in this state over the last few years, as the club have poored their own money into development. However, their current form is not good for the development of the code in NSW at the moment but it is only temporary. Also, many Sydneysiders do not wish to support a club from Sydney with Melbourne heritage.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AFl is comparitively unpopular because it is predominately a Melbourne and Adelaide sport. Rugby League is just as unpopular in Melbourne. It has nothing to do with the Swans.

ChrisE

HSC
i believe intrest in the swans in this city is very high, its just that afl is a relative newcomer to the sydney market so their base is naturally smaller that the rugby codes whom began life in australia in sydney.
those aspects of the swans game and playing style maybe true but i dont believe they have a bearing on the level of support a particular code receives in a city.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Smokey_22 said:

I propose they:

[/vent]
why dont u just die?
<3 swans
leave it as it is
why do u care anyway?
stop complaining u pansy

Paragon

Pleased to Beat You
Circular Quay .... Patriotism + Football.
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
why dont u just die?
<3 swans
leave it as it is
why do u care anyway?
stop complaining u pansy
Think you're going overboard there. He cares enough to have brought it up. I don't necessarily agree with how Smokey plans to go about rectifying the situation (Eg. changing the strip et al), but as far as the in-game tactics and strategy goes, it's definitely gotta change. We've had one too many disappointing seasons of late, and I get the feeling that Roos is getting a tad bit desperate.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
I wasn't exactly serious about some things. I do believe in tradition and they shouldnt change the name or strip.

Im basically emphasising the fact that they are playing shithouse

Random_87

HSC
N/A
I do wish that sydney could pull themselves together and win something but i still like the swans, and maybe because im not an AFL fan (just a swans fan) i like the way the swans play/ed. they try to get centre breaks and run and handball, i just think thats more exciting.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
why dont u just die?
<3 swans
leave it as it is
why do u care anyway?
stop complaining u pansy
lol thats impressive from a parra fan.
Nah you're right i don't really care. I'm just reiterating what everyone else thinks about them (including the ceo).

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Smokey_22 said:
lol thats impressive from a parra fan.
Nah you're right i don't really care. I'm just reiterating what everyone else thinks about them (including the ceo).
hey u leave parra out of this!!!!!!!! :chainsaw:

crispy13

HSC
woops sorry I meant the Swans are not to blame for rugby league being more popular than footy

Robbo_m8

Swans are alright. They have some really good players, including on paper probably the best foward line in the AFL (Hall, Davis, O'loughlin, O'Keefe, Schnieder as small man, + others). They are missing some real run though - especially with Williams out, Kennelly out of form and Barry stuck with Full Back role - one that hes good at, but probably would be better served as a running half back player. Our biggest problem is however that we are playing way too defensively, especially around stoppages. We seem too concerned with tagging than actually getting the ball, though due respect to Kirk and Bolton who seem to be playing a bit more proactively this year.
Goodes is also useless, except in the ruck, when he can do whatever he likes - he cant man up so he has to play as full forward or ruckman.
I think that roos is right however, and when we start getting our skills together and get more confident a more attacking style will come.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Robbo_m8 said:
I think that roos is right however, and when we start getting our skills together and get more confident a more attacking style will come.
Yup.
Todayz game against Carlton showed that Swanz can play attackin footy, and played handsomely too.

Robbo_m8

Its interesting to see who the swans have played attacking footy against - Hawthorn, Essendon, Bulldogs and Carlton, while against Port, St Kilda and the first three quarters against Brisbane we played defensive. Obviously they struggle under pressure, or it could be that roos particularly targets good teams to shut down. It doesnt really work though.

Robbo_m8

You know what does ruin footy though - not the swans - but their fans. I may be generalising too much, but my experience is the majority of swans fans dont no anything about the game and talk alot of rubbish. They are like go Hall go Hall, but dont know anything about other swans players - let alone other teams. I am a swan fan too and apologise to other true AFL supporting swans. But it is the stupid rugby people that want to pretend to support football that are a joke

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Robbo,

Spot on, mate (re when Swans played attacking vs when they played defensive). However, if you look at Sydney's last two seasons, you will see that they bottled it up and decided to play 8 men around the ball against almost every top side.

While today certainly showed that their ability to generate attack from our run off half-back with Kennelly (what about the length of the field goal to Hall... that's what Sydney was like back in 2002), I look to the quality of the opposition... and then I see that we played a team who has two wins and a draw so far this season.

Still, if Sydney decide to play to their strengths (run off half-back, quick delivery to one of the most potent forward lines in the AFL), they will make the finals easily.

Let's see how they play over the next few weeks.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
It was comparatively... Sydney were lucky to get away with fairly fluent run from half back, but only because Carlton lack the depth to rotate their midfielders. Kirk and Crouch did fantastic jobs in limiting the influence of Carltons guns Stevens and Koutoufides - which gave Sydney more opportunities and impetus to supply Hall and O'loughlan. The win will take media pressure off Sydney for the immediate future, but their game plan was still the same. Sydney still flooded defence and scrummaged in the same fashion. You saw the camera shots of the vacant forward fifty. This time they got away with it - only because carlton are a much weaker team nowadays. - it won't be the same against the doccers next week.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
If he waz only comparin wit the West Coast Richmond game at the G. Swans have alwayz played like that, if I remember correctly the game in the semi final against Port a couple of yrz back waz the same too, but I don't remember anyone callin that one a dour match. Maybe finalz football had somethin to do wit it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)