Sydney uni to reintroduce maths prerequisites (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Ehh yes some people do make big changes to their career later on (even in late life), but if anyone is interested in pursuing a QUANTITATIVE subject, it is rather ridiculous imo that maths isn't a prereq. Yes, there should be other pathways through which people without 2u maths but with new-found passion for whatever area they want to do would be able to enter the degrees, but I don't see the problem behind making 2u a prereq for ordinary school-leaver entry spots. As long as there are other paths open (though probably going to be a longer path), I would think the need to promote STEM skills is a good reason for introducing this prereq.
Prereq specifically for commerce and STEM subjects that is of course. Which I get you implied but I'm making it more explicit

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
You can easillyyy get through commerce with general maths, and noting other majors which require more/less maths then others - I'm fairly sure someone who didn't do 2 unit maths can get through the accounting/marketing/HR etc.. majors will little to no difference to their 2 unit counterpart - It would really be unfair for some wanting to do the much less quantitative majors in a degree that requires 2 unit when they don't need it - overall a bit unfair to put a guideline like 2 unit maths where many majors don't require it and are actually much more creative/humanitarian based

Red_of_Head

HSC
Alright, alright, mathematics it is then...

Please understand that I was not just discussing law, but rather all uni courses. I think that maths is an essential life skill and will surface in almost any job that you can think of, therefore a reasonable level should be studied for the respective courses that people want to get into.
I think you're grossly overestimating the importance of maths in many jobs.

Reactions: D94

leehuan

HSC
You can easillyyy get through commerce with general maths, and noting other majors which require more/less maths then others - I'm fairly sure someone who didn't do 2 unit maths can get through the accounting/marketing/HR etc.. majors will little to no difference to their 2 unit counterpart - It would really be unfair for some wanting to do the much less quantitative majors in a degree that requires 2 unit when they don't need it - overall a bit unfair to put a guideline like 2 unit maths where many majors don't require it and are actually much more creative/humanitarian based
Fortunately, that is now over. So yes you can dispute this just with this argument. But there was a time when actuarial studies really just fell immediately under the umbrella of commerce and was a "major".

From what people tell me general maths should just keep away from that.

No, you're grossly underestimating the importance of analytical thinking in many jobs.
Analytical thinking varies depending on what field of study you're in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)