• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

SYllabus dot point (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hey.

im doing some accelerated learning on my own and i've come across a dot point which i don't understand / have the answers to.

the dot point is:

o Describe the forces experienced by a current-carrying loop in a magnetic field and describe the net result of the forces.

so far i've just described that a solenoid is a current-carrying loop and that when a current-carrying conductor is bent into a loop, the effct is to concentrate the magnetic field within the loop.

i have also drawn a diagram of the solenoid showing the magnetic fields (roughly)

anyone have any ideas?

thanks.
- shinji

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
shinji said:
hey.

im doing some accelerated learning on my own and i've come across a dot point which i don't understand / have the answers to.

the dot point is:

o Describe the forces experienced by a current-carrying loop in a magnetic field and describe the net result of the forces.

so far i've just described that a solenoid is a current-carrying loop and that when a current-carrying conductor is bent into a loop, the effct is to concentrate the magnetic field within the loop.

i have also drawn a diagram of the solenoid showing the magnetic fields (roughly)

anyone have any ideas?

thanks.
- shinji

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is the most fundamental aspect of the Motors + Generators topic ---> this has nothing to do with the solenoid, rather it has to do with the
MOTOR EFFECT.

the Motor Effect merely is generation of a force applied to a current carrying conductor WHEN that CCC is under the influence of a magnetic field.

what u will realise that with a LOOP, one side of the loop will be forced upwards, or downwards, and the other side forced the other way --> hence the NET result of the forces IS that the loop will begin to ROTATES --> the beginnings of the motor!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
ooooo..
mind boggling! hahah XD

thanks for the heads up! ^^
now to scrap all the solenoid crap i wrote down .. *mutters*

thanks mountain.dew though! :D

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
shinji said:
ooooo..
mind boggling! hahah XD

thanks for the heads up! ^^
now to scrap all the solenoid crap i wrote down .. *mutters*

thanks mountain.dew though! :D
a pleasure *bows to shinji*

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
UGH..I hate that dotpoint.
Basically you've got to describe all the forces (forces AND torque AND the net force) as the loop (rotor coil) rotates under the influence of a magnetic field.
It's even more descriptions if they ask about the commutator as well...
I'd draw pictures if that question came up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)