Syllabus Improvement Predictions (1 Viewer)

MJRey

HSC
That syllabus has been the same since 2011. Will it ever change?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that a change/update to the current Engineering Studies syllabus is bound to occur. What is uncertain is when exactly NESA plans to implement a new syllabus for this subject, assuming that there are such plans currently. The reason for this (as you are likely already aware, given that you completed Engineering Studies) is that, as time passes, changes/improvements are made to current methods and completely new methods may also be incorporated into practice. This is especially relevant for fields like engineering and information technology, where there are constant advancements that education (including at Stage 6 level) must remain up-to-date with.

While I cannot discuss specific potential improvements, omissions and/or additions to Engineering Studies since I neither took this subject nor studied engineering beyond the HSC (perhaps yourself and other students with relevant knowledge would like to contribute further here), I will note the similar case of Information Processes and Technology, the current syllabus of which (2009) will be used for the last time as the basis of developing the 2024 HSC exam. After the 2024 HSC, the current IPT syllabus will be replaced by the new Enterprise Computing syllabus, to be assessed for the first time in the 2025 HSC exam.

MJRey

HSC
Yes, that is all very true. I just think it's due for an update because the syllabus is so dated, plus the lack of detail is terrible. I found it so confusing because they'd have several vague points in the syllabus which some textbooks would elaborate further on than others, so I'd constantly be thinking to myself: "how much study should I actually be doing for these syllabus points, and which resources should I trust?" Everything is so jumbled up it needs to be fixed. Whilst I enjoyed Engineering Studies as a subject, I feel terrible for future engineering students because of how bad the syllabus is. I just think it needs to be really clear what will actually be assessed in the HSC and what won't, because there have been occasions where HSC examiners will put questions in that are partially or wholly unrelated to the syllabus. It should be structured more like the Physics syllabus, which is clear and extremely easy to follow.

wizzkids

HSC
Good question.
Yes, or course the Engineering Studies syllabus will eventually change, but at the moment, NESA has its hands full with a huge number of simultaneous projects in primary and secondary education that have to be bedded down.
Lets face it, fundamentally the scientific principles of mechanics, kinematics, materials science and fluid mechanics have not changed, so these topics are just as relevant as ever.
The nature of the profession has not changed much either. Engineering Report writing should stay in the syllabus.
Where the syllabus has fallen behind is the applied stuff - engineering communication, electrical engineering, telecommunications engineering and manufacturing engineering. These topics are crying out for an update.
For example, I believe the ability to use computer-aided drafting (CAD) should be made mandatory in Engineering Studies.
Telecommunications should be taken out to make room for Robotics.
Students should learn about the software/hardware interface, sensors, control systems, embedded systems and machine learning. That would be a really worthwhile update.
I would be interested to read the opinions of other experienced engineering teachers of what they would like to see in the new syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)