Symphonie Fantastique... (1 Viewer)

steban

violin dude
HSC
Hey there, finding related material for imaginative journey and was wondering, as i cant seem to find any rules regarding to related material, can we use music....as in....analysing the MUSIC, not the lyrics....cause like...its i guess in a way, part of the 'range' of mediums.

Im studying coleridges poetry and like, i can relate it in ways of a journey of pure imagination to the supernatural poems liek Kubla Khan and Ancient mariner... was thinking of relating the 4th movement "March to the Scaffolds" of the "Symphonie Fantastique" by Berlioz

There are many musical techniques that are used to portray a plot composed within a dream, where im sure after further analysis there will be plenty to discuss of an imaginative journey.

Not only has the idea of this movement been thought of within an opium induced dream such as Kubla Khan...the composer is also of the Romantic Movement where composers found significance in dreams and the imagination as a way to express their personal and exmotional thoughts...

so is using music appropriate....??

kony

HSC
It would seem unlikely that you would be able to use it. I suppose you can argue that paintings don't seem like literature either, but paintings historically reflected the ideologies and contexts much more so than music, which developed quite independently. The so-called Romantic music can't actually be related to the Pantheistic ideals as noted in Coleridge and Keats, inter alia.

Ask your teacher about it.

sera ellen may

HSC
ah steban teng, to find you being bored whilst studying is new to me!
oi i fully reckon you could use it.
we can use songs for a text (as in, lyrics and music working together)

but surely you could use the music without the lyrics?
or not.. don't listen to me. but yeah oi hope you get this piece of valuable information.:cool:
have faith, stand up and say "I AM"

jess...k

HSC
steban, you should do it! but it really depends on your teacher. i did symphonie fantastique too, for the same sort of assessment last term. it was really easy to write about compared to the other texts. you should check with your teacher though, in mine i got 15/15 for the film and poem i studied, but 13 for sym.f but i didnt even try for the others and i did for that one! i think she just took a couple of marks off cause it didnt fit her random 'guidelines'. i asked our head of english and she said that using musical techniques is totally fine. in mine i also analysed a bit of the programme cause it was written by berlioz too and there are some language techniques in there too. i had a really bad french translation off the internet though, so you should find a good one if you do it! good luck with the assignment, and with music, getting into the con- i want to go there too =]

flaming.robo

HSC
you should absoulutely use symphonie fantastique.

truly a great piece of music with so much expression...

i have afew ideas for you, as i am using a similar style of music for my related text by "Pachabell".

Add my msn and we can discuss "flaming_robo@hotmail.com"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)