N/A
my sister in her synopsis
just did like an overview of da asigment and put in the key points/ideas

evaluate the sources for how useful/ effective they were for you

| n i s s y |

HSC
YEh im soo stuck on what to put in synopsis tooo.... soo far Ive written
What my focus quetsion is .. what my essay focuses on
briefly How my interest in the project developed....
How my essay is structured
the investigation areas
overview of what the essay content and what it ultimately proves

yeh but im still stuck on what to say for another 100 words~!

angelduck

Behind a rock with a glitter gun poised and ready
HSC
Yeah, see our teacher said it should just be an overview of your assignment, coz your log should include info anbout how/why oyur question changed and stuff, but i dont really know exactly how to word it
Any past Extensioners got some helpful advice for those 04ers without a clue????

in a drag club full of glitter...no, seriously!
A synopsis is an overview, or summary, of your essay. It should briefly highlight the main/strongest points/arguments presented. Do not write in the first person as it makes it seem too informal, try to keep the synopsis following the essay - ie. dont mix up the order of things you speak about. Most importantly, do not include anything in the synopsis that you do not speak of in your essay and try not to repeat yourself - ie. don't just cut and paste sections from your essay to make the synopsis - try to be a little more creative. Honestly girl, have you never done a synopsis before? We've always had to complete a synopsis for all essays in all subjects and sometimes even for our speeches! I guess that's why our school always does so well overall in external exams, we have so much practice at writing well...

Acid

HSC
Originally posted by alfalfa_monster
A synopsis is an overview, or summary, of your essay. It should briefly highlight the main/strongest points/arguments presented. Do not write in the first person as it makes it seem too informal, try to keep the synopsis following the essay - ie. dont mix up the order of things you speak about. Most importantly, do not include anything in the synopsis that you do not speak of in your essay and try not to repeat yourself - ie. don't just cut and paste sections from your essay to make the synopsis - try to be a little more creative. Honestly girl, have you never done a synopsis before? We've always had to complete a synopsis for all essays in all subjects and sometimes even for our speeches! I guess that's why our school always does so well overall in external exams, we have so much practice at writing well...
Guess they don't teach you much about modesty then...

Last edited:

Acid

HSC
Originally posted by Persephone87
Synopsis of the three major sources you used, why they were valuable, context etc in 300 words each
synopsis is different to the source analysis buddy....

Plebeian

I agree, quit bragging alfalfa. In any event no external exam requires you to write a synopsis so having done lots of practice will be of little importance. As long as you can write a good conclusion and introduction, which are not the same as a synopsis, you'll get across the summary of your message.

As for the content of the synopsis, this is from the syllabus:

this will be a brief description (300 words) on the development of the precise
question that provides the focus of the essay; the ways the essay addresses
the precise question; the content used in the essay and why it was included.
(2004 History Extension Syllabus, p27)

Acid is right in that it should really be a summary of the essay. If you've written a 2500-word essay it shouldn't be too hard to write 300 words summing up each major point. If it is difficult try subdividing into say 6 smaller blocks, each about a point. 50 words goes in a flash.

Last edited by a moderator:
in a drag club full of glitter...no, seriously!
Originally posted by Acid
Guess they don't teach you much about modesty then...
modesty is an underhand technique employed by those people who want others to think that they're better than they are.
sorry if it sounded like i was bragging, i wasnt. i was just amazed that ppl hadnt done a synopsis before - like ppl who get to yr 12 without ever having done footnotes (how have they survived writing essays for 5 years?!?)

R

randhi

we just don't do it, u never exactly have to write a synopsis for a 1500 word essay because its only a bout 2 pages or so hence why we are all worried about what we have to write in it.

Acid

HSC
Originally posted by randhi
we just don't do it, u never exactly have to write a synopsis for a 1500 word essay because its only a bout 2 pages or so hence why we are all worried about what we have to write in it.
Exactly. It's superfluous to write a synopsis for an essay that small/insignificant. For starters, your focus question is constant, so you can't track changes to that. Additionally, your methodology, etc isn't too elaborate either, so a synopsis won't really be a synopsis, but rather a summary of your essay. On the contrary, they're much more important in essays like the history extension project...

Abraxus

HSC
Haha some of you guys have to realize that not all of us go to an intellectually advanced school. I go to a public school, and I've never had to write a synopsis before this, and never in my life have I ever written footnotes before. Normal essays are exactly what they are - essays! A synopsis is not required, the only reason why there's one here is that this is a major project. But it's pretty straightforward, my one went pretty well, I was just proud that I actually wrote a footnote.

laracroft

the bibliography/source analysis section should jsut include the same kinda of things you would write about in section 1 of the Modern Hist paper..............
origin, motive, audience, content, reliability and usefulness....all that stuff, in the word limit that was mentioned b4, i think it was 300 words
??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)