Tables in Science Exams? (1 Viewer)

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
Are tables a legitimate way of answering "compare" questions?

I was reading the marking guidelines for one of the past HSCs and it said full marks were usually awarded to candidates who tabulated information on a certain "compare" question.

This just seems like treason to me...and lazy.

shady145

Banned
HSC
the head guy of science at the department of education said using tables is a very good way of answering wuestions, also suggested dot point form. he stressed it was not english and u do not have to answer in essay type format... i like his style XD

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Are tables a legitimate way of answering "compare" questions?

I was reading the marking guidelines for one of the past HSCs and it said full marks were usually awarded to candidates who tabulated information on a certain "compare" question.

This just seems like treason to me...and lazy.

you can answer in any format you wish as long as the information is there and it is logical and makes sense

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
really? dot points too?

gah. I hate how lazy scientists are. lol. It just feels blasphemous and unnatural to dot point and tabulate and diagram when you are given lines to work with.

but thats just me.

rama_v

HSC
really? dot points too?

gah. I hate how lazy scientists are. lol. It just feels blasphemous and unnatural to dot point and tabulate and diagram when you are given lines to work with.

but thats just me.
Scientists are really lazy when it comes to writing. That's because we prefer to do more science :) ...

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
Scientists are really lazy when it comes to writing. That's because we prefer to do more science :) ...
just an english student in a scientists world i guess. lol.

pman

Banned
HSC
our teacher told us, answer in equations, dot points and tables, ignore the essay if you can

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
our teacher told us, answer in equations, dot points and tables, ignore the essay if you can
That's weird. I always get done for 'writing too much'...I hate how that's even possible. I guess i've got trials to get the technique downpat.

Don't be ashamed Shady. lol. at least your not doing general maths. jeez thats a terrible course...

shady145

Banned
HSC
That's weird. I always get done for 'writing too much'...I hate how that's even possible. I guess i've got trials to get the technique downpat.

Don't be ashamed Shady. lol. at least your not doing general maths. jeez thats a terrible course...
hehe yes, a very terrible course

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Shouldn't do dot points. There's plenty of time in the Physics exam, your answer looks more impressive to the marker if you do normal extended response format.
Also, use diagrams and tables whenever you can. They show the marker that you know your information well enough to tabulate it (in the case of tables).

I heard (I'm not taking this into consideration as it sounds a bit stupid but sorta makes sense at the same time) that a senior marker gets two random piles of exams that have been marked by two different markers. The senior marker looks at both of them and compares the marks given out to the answers given, then he takes it into account wherever he sees a better response scoring lower than a crappier response. If he sees pile A to be better than pile B on average, but pile A has worse marks than pile B, he increases all the marks in pile A and decreases all the marks in pile B as he sees fit.

If that's true, then it's better to have structured extended responses rather than dot points..

helper

HSC
N/A
Shouldn't do dot points. There's plenty of time in the Physics exam, your answer looks more impressive to the marker if you do normal extended response format.
Markers don't mark on look but on the cohesiveness and logic of the answer. A short dotpoint answer, will receive the same marks as a longer extended response answer. The longer answers more often have contradictions and lead to less marks.

I heard (I'm not taking this into consideration as it sounds a bit stupid but sorta makes sense at the same time) that a senior marker gets two random piles of exams that have been marked by two different markers. The senior marker looks at both of them and compares the marks given out to the answers given, then he takes it into account wherever he sees a better response scoring lower than a crappier response. If he sees pile A to be better than pile B on average, but pile A has worse marks than pile B, he increases all the marks in pile A and decreases all the marks in pile B as he sees fit.
That is wrong. All markers have their stats monitored by the senior marker and if they are straying from the mean or SD are talked to check if its centres or marker bias. A few papers in each centre are checked mark and only those papers that have been check marked may have their mark changed. If a SM is worried about a marker, then they may check mark more papers. Any paper that has a mark adjusted is discussed with the individual marker involved, to clarify the marking.

If that's true, then it's better to have structured extended responses rather than dot points..
You can have the same amount of logic with dot points. In either case it is making it coherent and logical.

Tables are encouraged by the board of studies and example of how to answer assess questions with tables have been put in past notes from the markers on the BOS website.

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
So whats the verdict guys? Tabulate and dot point? Or essay form?

rama_v

HSC
helper is a physics teacher. Listen to him. Don't need essays - its physics for goodness sake. Dot-points will suffice so long as the content is there.

darkchild69

Nanotechnologist
HSC

You need to make sure you answer the question, nothing more! The more your write, the higher the chances of you saying something wrong and losing marks.

In physics, there are always key terms or ideas which are being looked for. If you write 2 paragraphs, run out of space, figure its good enough cuz you talk all the room, but you only have 2 of the key points, then you're only gonna get 2 marks! If you use the same room and provide a cohesive answer in dot point form (i.e., cause and effect) then you will recieve full marks as long as you address all of the criteria for that question.

helper

HSC
N/A
helper is a physics teacher. Listen to him. Don't need essays - its physics for goodness sake. Dot-points will suffice so long as the content is there.
As long as they are arranged logically and coherently. One leads onto the next etc.

shady145

Banned
HSC
well my source of info is straight from the head science guy at the department of education... and my chem teacher marks HSC papers and this is how she said they get marked.
3 markers stand/sit around reading a response to decide what to give it... after small or large debate they decide on the marks and if another paper comes in with a similar response they give it the same mark as the one previously marked... if that makes sense. then submitted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)