Tables turned on HSC students (SMH) (1 Viewer)

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
I sat that studies of religion exam and we never learnt in class what the question had asked us! we were told either a quiestion on ethics significant practice or significant person!
therefore DUMB KIDS COMPLAINING is a little rude. get your facts right before you make a summary and conclusion about a test you obviously have no idea about!
You weren't told directly from the Board of Studies that it would be ethics significant practice or significant person. No, your teacher told you that that would be it. Thanks to the equality system of the HSC, the exam is unreleased to the public and therefore, predicaments of the exam was based on pure assumptions and rather than knowledge.

Fact:

1. The syllabus is an outline of the course that you are studying.
  2. Usually, if not all, teachers use the syllabus to cover each topics.
  3. You then proceed to study that course over 1 year and 1/4 the HSC.
  4. The Board of Studies derives questions from that syllabus and drafts together an exam.
Protip: Steps 1-4 are then repeated for each course.

Conclusion

• You are complaining about question.
  • You didn't read the syllabus.
  • You didn't pay attention in class.
  • You didn't study.
  • You didn't revise all your notes.
  • Your teacher assumed that it would be either significant practice or person and didn't teach you the topic that was told.

ixswans

HSC
Students are told - at least in my school - that they're taking a huge risk by pre-preparing. Our assignments are written so they deliberately throw us off the prepared response track - we had obscure quotations, a listening task to use as a related text, extracts as creatives which we had to explain. From Day 1 we're told to mould responses to fit the question given, not our question. The notes from the marking centre also reflect this.

The BOS reiterates through different sources that learning needs to be based around an understanding of textual content through which effective and "insightful" analysis can be constructed.

When a difficult, interpretive question does come up, you really only have yourself to blame if it doesn't fit with what you've prepared. All instructions point towards an understanding of the syllabus and not predictions.

When you burn your proverbial toast, you should blame yourself. Everyone told you not to take it for granted that it would come out perfect, but despite all that, you chose not to look after it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
best sentence.

Mark Khunnithi, who was school captain at Cranbrook this year, said he found the four-unit mathematics course more challenging than English: ''A lot of people are preparing essays and regurgitating them in the exam."
duhhh

LordPc

HSC
LOL

perhaps he meant 4u math was harder than 4u english. if so, that is a serious blunder for a journalist to make

hollaholla

HSC
Bull- fucking-shit.

Top 10 at my school had at least 2-3 students who wrote essays on the spot.

Don't pull shit out of your ass because of your inadequacy.

To the OP/article -

Nice read, although I can empathise a little bit with people who got caught off guard (seeing as 4unit in 2008 was diff), there is no excuse other than poor preparation for not being able to do the paper properly.
I go to a relatively good school and just ONE person can actually write a GOOD essay FULLY adapted to the question on the spot. It is difficult and this year it was even harder due to the severe changes in the questions. If people were given some more time, the complaints would not stream in. It is not just my inadequacy...you probably went to a selective school with brilliant students :p.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Yeah, society sucks doesn't it. Weed them out asap imo.

Because they're weak? I hope the numbers do double, can't stand such idiots living in our society.
That's a bit harsh :p
It's not fair that intelligence is granted to you by some 'roll of a dice'.
You don't get to choose whether your smart or dumb, mate, gotta remember that one

HSC being a CONTRIBUTION for depression or suicidal tendencies, I understand - but being suicidal/depresesd OVER the HSC. No empathy there.
I guess you had zero pressure on you during HSC or close to none...I'm far from suicidal but I do know people who get whipped (whether physically or in a figurative sense)by their parents if they get anything less than 90 in exams. Tonnes of people, actually. And I feel for them. And in their place, I could totally see myself feeling suicidal if I get a shit mark just because I happened to be in a year where BoS decided to change the format and fuck everyone over...

I dunno, I do agree that to an extent, exams shouldn't be monotonous or predictable but for the most part, it should cater for those who aren't naturally smart by making it somewhat memory and study based

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)