Tackling of Chinese-Australian Citizen (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
The tackling of the Chinese man from Sydney when he asked to see George Bush.

Isn't that excessive and who else would agree that it shows American's are getting more and more stupid.
They're not even thinking properly because they're so scared of terrorists.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
New York Times said:
April 13, 2005
Man in Capitol Scare Violated Visa, Officials Say
By REUTERS

WASHINGTON, April 12 (Reuters) - An Australian who was arrested on Monday on Capitol Hill after a bomb scare will be expelled from the United States for violating his visa, an immigration official said Tuesday.

"The terms of visa waivers include a public safety provision and we can send someone back home for violating that," a spokesman for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said.

The Australian, Wenhao Zhao, who the authorities had thought was from China, raised suspicions on Monday after he stood outside the Capitol for about an hour with two black suitcases and demanded to see President Bush.

The area was evacuated, roads were closed and tours were stopped.

When Mr. Zhao would not respond to officers' questions, officers rushed him, tackled him and dragged him away.

Mr. Zhao put up no resistance.

A hazardous materials response team took X-rays and blew up one of the bags that appeared to have suspicious wires. They searched the other bag by hand.

No explosives or other dangerous materials were found, the Capitol Police said, adding that the wires were part of a CD player.

An official said it was unlikely that Mr. Zhao would be charged with a criminal offense. The police had considered charging him with disobeying a police officer.

Mr. Zhao arrived in the United States on April 8, entering through Los Angeles.

A spokesman for the Australian Embassy here would not comment.
No tackling doesn't seem excessive. It also doesn't appear that it was unwarranted and just done out of fear of terroism.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
to me it sounds ridiculous........

it's like one of those stupid reasons that people give.

So if I stand at parliament house with two suitcases, I could be shot?

0Jade0

HSC
Excuse me but I am not stupid. He would not respond, he was standing outside the Capitol building asking to see George Bush. Too bad, they can buy him new clothes.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Zeneger...hey look over there...its a tree...I actually think its lonely.... why dont you go and hug it....

0Jade0

HSC
Serioulsy what was he thinking? He was standing all alone there, they evacuated everyone else. I would look around and think, wtf? Maybe I should move, or at least speak.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
environmentalists....civil (snivil) libertarians... all from the same branch of the tree

Riewe

HSC
Acting the way he did, i think the response was adequate. Had he been a suicide bomber or something, and they handled it like a cat in a tree, quite a bit a damage would've been done. So i don't feel bad for him.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Heh, that's pretty bizarre. Seems a bit excessive in some ways, but quite understandable.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
PS : He wasn't a Chinese-Australian citizen, he was an Australian of Chinese descent.

Rorix

HSC
Ah, great, another one of those take things out of context and make them seem absurd threads.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
neo_o, ur so PC today :)
Obviously you didn't see the avatar I had up for about a hour earlier today. :p

Ah, great, another one of those take things out of context and make them seem absurd threads.
The idea of a guy standing in position outside any building for three hours and an evacuation of an entire area (due to him) with two suitcases seems quite absurd.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
neo_o said:
The idea of a guy standing in position outside any building for three hours and an evacuation of an entire area (due to him) with two suitcases seems quite absurd.

I can't tell if you're being serious:(

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Rorix said:
I can't tell if you're being serious:(
I can't tell whether that sentence makes sense.

Rorix

HSC
sounds like a problem on neo_o's end

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Rorix said:
sounds like a problem on neo_o's end
It's my darn computer-box. I think the inter-web-connector is broke or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)