Tactics for paper 1 section 1 (1 Viewer)

NexusRich

HSC
I'm kinda stuck for paper 1 section 1 so I was wondering what I could do to get the most out of the 20 marks.
So lets say we have 55 minutes for section 1, and 10mins for reading.

Should I start finding techiques and analysing the texts in the 10mins, or just try to understand the big idea of the texts first ?

Also, some ppl say that it is not necessary to understand the texts in their entirety cuz it's more about finding quotes and techniques. what's your view on this ? thx.

notme123

HSC
My biggest tip: think of everything as a symbol or metaphor for emotion or something and say how it's inherently linked to the human condition. i.e. don't take everything literally. For example the boomerangs in the thunderstorm one (2019 HSC), they're not literally throwing boomerangs in the thunderstorm, it's supposed to symbolize perseverance, adversity, resilience, filial bonds, heritage, connection to land, navigating uncertainty, etc. Also make reference to both collective and individual ALWAYS and the paradoxes and inconsistencies (which is just contrasts)

In terms of finding techniques, literally, choose any niche quote/something that has an object as a symbolic arc that other people won't use and links to the question, and then find a technique there even if its basic like truncated syntax or metaphor or even imagery (specify sense and type).
In the 10 minutes of reading time if you have a physical copy of the texts since you cant underline quotes, fold the paper to make a crease at the quote, and when you can write it's easier to find. it's not likely you'll finish the texts but just start soon as reading time starts. Usually, for longer extracts, the end part has some meaty parts so skip to those if you can't finish reading.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)